ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Will 205/45/16 tyres fir on 172/Cup

Exisitng cup tyres are crap - no grip, rol and slide everywhere - will 205 series tyres fit on the rims - I was told they will coz the alloys are 7.5 inch wide as opposed to 7 inch?

Astra 1.9cdti XP

The rims are 7 * 16 and not 7.5! But they will fit just means that the rolling radius will be slightly larger and the tyre will come over the rim a bit more so less chance of scrubbing

I had them measured yesterday when I was changing the front wheels to the back and vs versa - they are indeed 7.5 inchs - urs I believe are 7 !Guy had to programme after measuring the rim for computer wheel balancing !

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Yes, theyd fit, but how would the wider tyre affect grip, ride, handling, rolling resistance, performance, etc...

What are the current tyres?!

Personally Id say stick to the original size, but go for a better tyre such as Toyo Proxes, Goodyear Eagles, Bridgestone SO2s, etc... a top quality performance tyre.

Its more likely to be the tyre tread/pattern/compound than the size.

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 10 March 2003

Yes, theyd fit, but how would the wider tyre affect grip, ride, handling, rolling resistance, performance, etc...
Wider tyre = more tred on road = more grip!!

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Quote: Originally posted by CUPSIZE? on 10 March 2003

I had them measured yesterday when I was changing the front wheels to the back and vs versa - they are indeed 7.5 inchs - urs I believe are 7 !Guy had to programme after measuring the rim for computer wheel balancing !
I will take your word for it!!! The reanult brouchure says 7 all the 17" and 18 Speadline Turinis are all 7" wide seems a bit strange to me!!

Clio 200 FF

wider tyre = more road noise + slightly heavier steering which will affect handling slightly

They did not change the size for the Cup, you would think they would have thought about that one. Something to think about perhaps

guys were talking 10mm on each rim - I for one wouldnt notice that but more tyre = more grip/traction and seeing as 205/45/16 is a tyr size then it wont have any effect on performance or handling except to make it better! Im having serious trouble keeping up with my Fiancees 1600 16v (137BHP) she has too much grip and can get all the power down, corner perectly etc wheras Im struggling to keep up.....................

Cupsize - Ive just changed my 185/55/15 tyres on my Williams to 195/50/15 and the feel of the handling just isnt as good anymore. Im definitely putting the original size tyres on next time. By all means try it, but its not guaranteed to make a positive difference.

Rhys

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 10 March 2003

What are the current tyres?!

Personally Id say stick to the original size, but go for a better tyre such as Toyo Proxes, Goodyear Eagles, Bridgestone SO2s, etc... a top quality performance tyre.

Its more likely to be the tyre tread/pattern/compound than the size.

Well thats what I plan to do.. I personally think the contis are crap, and will be purchasing a full set of toyo proxes.. at £40 a tyre I cant complain.

the contis really are a wierd tyre, sometimes in the dry the will just grip, but other days on the same bit of road it will just spin... in the wet the are totally crap.

Speaking of which, a Micra !! was giving it some round some twisties and keeping up with me.. LOL

I looked in the rear view mirror and it was on two wheels ! seriously !

I think the reason he kept up was two fold, one I had my GF in the car and dont like risking other peoples lives.. fair enough my own, and two I just love my car to much to see it in a ditch.

I also lost the backend going round a corner in the wet, I controlled it and brought it back into line but it gave me a bit of a fright (when you not expecting it) so i think my confidence got knocked a bit.

Still i am so :oops: that a micra was keeping up with me.. but if it helps the micra deffo wansnt standard..

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 11 March 2003

Well thats what I plan to do.. I personally think the contis are crap, and will be purchasing a full set of toyo proxes.. at £40 a tyre I cant complain.
My nice new Toyos arrived in the post yesterday, so I cant wait to get them fitted and see how good they actually are.

The factory fit tyres on the 306 are Pirelli P6000s which are not that great and when you swap for summat else (currently Bridgestone S-02s) you cant believe the difference!

Tyres can have a huge affect...