ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

will a faulty Lamda / 02 sensor cause a misfire?

Blk/Gold 182 FF
As title rele, also will it cause a slight smell of petrol from the tail pipes?

i had a flashing emmissions light and a misfire and on the reno diag software it came up with 'distructive misfire'

any thoughts?

thanks guys and gals :)

Megane Coupe 2.0 16v VVT
Iv got the same issue but my spark plugs are new NGK things that i got and my coils are 3 days old. Need to tap the accelrator to get it to start aswell.

AND..When i slow down at lights the revs drop to almost stalling.

inferno 182cup
Iv got the same issue but my spark plugs are new NGK things that i got and my coils are 3 days old. Need to tap the accelrator to get it to start aswell.

AND..When i slow down at lights the revs drop to almost stalling.

u tried cleaning out your throttle body, just a quick an easy thing to do and wont cost u a penny:)

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
water or oil in a sparkplug well would be my first port of call. After that, knackered sparkplugs, or a faulty coil

Danny what causes this?? Mine had a misfire, I replaced plugs and was fine, and now a similar prob. Is there a way of preventing it?

ITB'd MK1
silly plug change interval IMO renault say 72k, but i'd do them at 36k or earlier

worn out plugs put strain on the coil, so new plugs may sort it for a while, but the coil may have already started to break-down

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
i think this is just a clio problem in general, my old 1.2 used to do it, drove me mad! had to have pedal down when starting and if i slowed down it completely lost power and didnt kick in till a second or 2, quite dangerouse when pulling out at roundabouts etc....
got rid of the car so dont know what it was lol

Blk/Gold 182 FF
My car has been with the garage for over a week now and he cant find the cause of the missfire and the flashing emmisions light! hes changed the coil pack, and even checked how much fuel is being sprayed out by the injectors when there unplugged from the rail!! and there all normal! :S wat else could it be as the plugs are fairly new aswell

172 ph1
i had a similar problem on my audi....had a really badly fucked plug so replaced them and still the same! diagnostics not bring anything up? mine kept saying lambda but sometimes ok sometime intermitant ect it sould come up on that

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
That's my next port of call then, am I right in thinking I can swap the two lambda positions, see if that helps?

Blk/Gold 182 FF
hes told me he swapped the Lamda's round, tried the coil pack and plugs, he now seems to think it could be one of the injectors not spraying enough petrol into the cylinder.......but if that doesnt work i;m just gonna tell him to buy a new lamda, new plugs and leads, and hope its one of those things!! its gonna cost a fortune though :S

Blk/Gold 182 FF
ohhh How much for dude? i may just buy new parts and hope that'll fix it, i mean its bound to be either coil pack - leads - plugs - injectors - lamda!! i cant see it being anything like the ECU.

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
Mine has now magically cleared itself and is now running spot on!! I have a brand new lambda in the boot should it raise it's ugly head again!!

Blk/Gold 182 FF
My problem was an injector and the lamda. no more missfire :) but while it was with my mate in the garage he spotted the offside driveshaft gator was split and both ball joints have gone! lol

340i
My GF's 172 is doing this and getting slowly worse...

Does not always start first time, will instantly cut out

cannot hold a steady idle, will eventually drop the revs more and more, then cut out.

stinks of fuel when driving?

Really lump driving, especially lower down the rev range

Any ideas?

ITB'd MK1
My GF's 172 is doing this and getting slowly worse...

Does not always start first time, will instantly cut out

cannot hold a steady idle, will eventually drop the revs more and more, then cut out.

stinks of fuel when driving?

Really lump driving, especially lower down the rev range

Any ideas?

objecting to being driven by a female? ;)

the starting is more likely fuel pressure dropping overnight. Try priming it on the key twice before attempting a start.

Sounds a bit sick in general though, probably needs a general health check and new bits like plugs before a bit of a session with diagnostics plugged in

340i
hahaa.. I tell her that daily ;)

I fitted new plugs (the correct grade plugs) 4K ago when I last serviced it

plugged it into a Clip, came up with a TDC sensor fault a few months ago, but cleared that and it has not appeared since?

It does the cutting out on starting under any conditions, but more so when the engine is COLD.

as said the car really does smell of fuel when driving, but the car still has a cat fitted?! I am thinking a lamba sensor fault?

ITB'd MK1
seems likely. Dont rely on fault codes, you need to look at live data and long term trim values. You'll get no code if the sensor is still functioning but giving the wrong signals

340i
The only thing pointing me to Lamba sensor is the stink of fuel when driving around town / manoeuvring etc.

So next question... which lamba sensor is which on a PH-2 172, and are they both the same type of sensor? :S

ITB'd MK1
pre cat is the only one that effects the fueling. post cat is just a "your cat isn't working" warning. They're both the same sensor but one has a longer wire by about 50mm

340i
It had a replacement cat fitted 5 months ago

Also the MOT tester said the exhaust was scorching hot "almost melted me probe youf"

But the GF said she was sat in traffic 45mins before the test (apparently)

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
for info i thought id try a lil experiment..

I unplugged my upstream lambda and made no difference to performance or mpg... Im guessing mine must be really shagged!

The serv light came on but it ran the same as it had been (drinking fuel!)

Ill post the difference with the new one fitted tomo, its currently doing 29.7 mpg with relevantly gentle driving!

I would have changed it tonight but i couldnt undo the bloody thing! Any tips?