ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Williams bottom end re-build £

By bottom end re-build i mean big end shells, piston rings, oil pump and all the relevant gaskets - assuming the crank is fine

im thinking around £300 for parts

But what about labour?

300quid in parts and if u do it urself itl take about 2 weeks on an evening taking ur time.

u sure it needs a rebuild?

jimbo

the one that was done at 210k )and Jiimbo might be able to describe his own 200k+ one too) The wear around the crank was fine just requiring shells, but the rings had worn a fair bit and slightly unevenly which meant the piston itsself had started to touch slightly (remeber the williams has oversized pistons from the 16v in the same bore, 0.7mm i think, anyway and obviously at this point it changes from a simple re-build to a re-bore with new pistons which is alot more money!

Prevention at this stage!

how can you become confident and competant unless you try and possibly make mistakes the first time........there really isnt much to get wrong.

350z & 16v Maxi

do you not need a special tool to replace piston rings tho?

oh and also those silly reversed torx sockets?

Quote: Originally posted by Colin_S on 18 December 2003

do you not need a special tool to replace piston rings tho?

oh and also those silly reversed torx sockets?

both of these are available from your local motorist discount shops for about £10 a piece,u get a set of those torx sockets too not just 1 ;)

all the tools required are available at halfords. piston ring compressor is 4quid, etc.

if ur getting bore wear, i.e. more than a thumb nails depth, get rehoned. u could go for a rebore, but 83mm wide pistons r custom spec stuff and cost an arm and a leg.

give it a rehone, professionally or with a 3 pronged glaze buster. i did it myself with 400grit emery cloth and wd40 - brushed up the bores no probs.

fit new rings at least. i couldnt get any rings from renault, they sed they dont sell em anymore. so i had to get a set from belgium through a local motorfactors. cost me 90quid inc vat and delivery. new bearings cost about 70quid all in.

rebuilding the cylinder block is a nights work once everythign is cleaned and prepared. i rebuilt my 2litre lump in my back garden on a black n decker work mate. keep evertyhing clean, keep it all lubed, and its easy peasy. way easier than building up a cylinder head. also why ur at it, fit a new oil pump as a matter of course and replace all the seals. once its all sorted ul have an engine thatl pull 16bar (230psi) on the compression tester - good by any1s standards.

jimbo

hang on a sec, you did what to the bores?

emry cloth?

What did you do about eh specific cross hatching needed for good seals and low firction.....alot of power can be lost incorrectly honing......and most shops just cant do it properly.

Jimbo thats exactly what im looking to do, I have a mate lined for the the head work as i that is more of an art then a science and i havnt got the time or money for trail end error learning.

for what im planning to do Im purely intrested in the bottom end re-build, like you say oil pump, pistons rings, and shells.

Its more restoration then modification, the engine is at 109k now but i havnt had it long enough to moniter oil consumption and that will decide what i do.

Still got that nagging doubt in my mind as to how well suited the stage 2 Hill power chip will be? This si what your running isnt it Jimbo?

the implications of it running lean would be catistrophic but whats the chances of this happening by fitting a poorly matched chip?

350z & 16v Maxi

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 18 December 2003

hang on a sec, you did what to the bores?

emry cloth?

What did you do about eh specific cross hatching needed for good seals and low firction.....alot of power can be lost incorrectly honing......and most shops just cant do it properly.

thats what i thought about the emry cloth, id never touch the bores with an emry cloth

oh and you can getr everything you need at BB

http://www.bbperformancetuning.co.uk/products/department.asp?deptid=95http://www.bbperformancetuning.co.uk/products/department.asp?deptid=95

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

you can also buy all that via GDI (me!) at club rates as well....

we do our best to look after club members, so if you do need anything inc engineering work please let me know.... email is best.

mailto:andy@greydevilindustries.com">andy@greydevilindustries.com

Andy

GDI

i used low grade emery cloth working in a diagonal fashion up and down the bores. working in two directions i achieved a cross hatched pattern. there was minimal wear on the bores, no ridge at the top. all i did was a glaze bust.

the engine produced 230psi on all 4 pots on the compression tester 800miles after the rebuild. this is higher than my old 145k 1.8 (av 180psi) and a 50k hill power 2litre (220psi).

the rings have bedded in nicely, pulls like a train and doesnt use a drop of oil.

4k miles on, and im getting 35mpg on a run and the emissions r spot on. not bad for a diy rebuild.

jimbo