ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Williams rust :(

BMW Z4 2.5si Sport

OK, I know Ive probs posted this before.. but my Williams has rust on the rh rear arch. Its got real bad really quickly and is pretty crumbly now over quite a large part of the rust (starting to go into the back panel) left arch is starting to go too.... Im gonna get both done at once...

Whats peoples experience in getting the rust done on the arches? Expensive? Is it possible to cut out the rust. and weld in a plate in the arch? Cos Im hoping I wont need a whole rear panel :S

I wanna get Willy 2 MOTd up (not had time to take it down for one) fixed, and back the way the Williams should be for the summer :D

My valver is in at the moment getting both rear arches done, the bodyshop have had to replace both rear arches (£27 each) and 1 inner arch and are charging me £220. Not bad I thought, most of the cost is labour obviously! Its been in the docs for over a week now...really missing it!

New arch is £350 from Renault?

You need to.. Cut the rust out.. weld plate in.. and do it.

Be about £300 for a good job?

2005 Nissan Navara

Quote: Originally posted by RTvalver on 05 March 2004

£27 for a quarter panel? unlikely. probably welding a plate in or something. seems very cheap for both!
u can by repair sections that go about 2-3 inches above the original arch line.

u dont replace a whole quarter panel for a bit of arch decay

Renault used to sell the 16V/Williams rear panels in three strips, as they do with those of the normal Mk1. They now only sell the entire panel, at about £350 per side and you can only get them from Renault.

Fortunately, unless the rust is extremely bad you can still repair the rust using the relevent strip of the normal arches in a lot of cases (as with paul1178). These arch strips are mass produced by pattern panel companies other than Renault, so are pretty cheap.

However, the very bottom of the 16V/Willy rear arch is a different shape to the normal arches, so if this bit is corroded then this might not work. This is also the case if the corrosion effects the arch waist-line (4-6ins from the arch lip) or the window bottom, since these bits would need the fuller shape of the 16V/Willy arch.

My drivers side rear arch has been done once (about three years ago), but is just starting to bubble again. Im going to nip it in the bud before it spreads. By looking at the arch, the previous repair seems to have been done with a simple cut and weld procedure on the arch lip area.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

you can buy arch kits that are welded to the original rear quarter panels pretty cheap(that must be what paul1178 means).if there done properley and undersealed afterwards then you should have no probs.cheaper than replacing a complete rear quarter panel.

Youve got me a tad worried now...this chap has been recommended to me so Im hoping he does a good job. Its not worth cutting corners when it comes to bodywork. Should have her back by Tuesday so Ill let you know exactly what he did.

BMW Z4 2.5si Sport

yeah would be useful paul to hear what job u get for ya money :)

On a positive note, Mark charged Willy2s battery up today, and we gave her a wash too :)