ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Williams Vs Valver

williams and trophy

yeah but we all know difrent lol

mite have to try that 1 meself...........yeah mate .absolutely bog standard except zorst lol

Quote: Originally posted by Tom16v on 15 October 2004

Quote: Originally posted by mr bognor on 15 October 2004

Just to add a bit more fuel on the fire how bout round a track Valver vs Williams ?
No contest
Agree but has anyone compared the willy with the hybrids (2ltr valvers or willy tracked valvers) round a track?

Clio 182

The valver looks better! imo of course, and mr bogner would you like a go at pod with a standard valver?

The Jinx

So if the Willy is so much faster from standing in a straight line, then why are the 0-60 times nearly always quoted as being the same given a .1/.2s difference either way?

I have no doubt a willy would disappear beyond 60 but up to that point I doubt it.

Only way to find out is a completely standard 16v vs Willy challenge.

Think its just because the willy needs make an extra gear change to reach 60 compared to the 16v so times are basically the same.

Clio 182

Anyone have a vid 0-100 of a standard willy??
i could do one for the 16v? if you could call it standard??

Quote: Originally posted by Winston on 19 October 2004

As for the willy tracked valvers on a track u33db, We better get them on the track and find out. lol;)
lol yep - time to teach these williams softies a lesson i think! ;)

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Quote: Originally posted by dan_mk1nova on 19 October 2004

Anyone have a vid 0-100 of a standard willy??
i could do one for the 16v? if you could call it standard??
Your car isnt standard IIRC...Ive got a vid of my williams 0-100...its about as standard as yours;) lol

Quote: Originally posted by mike8579 on 19 October 2004

So if the Willy is so much faster from standing in a straight line, then why are the 0-60 times nearly always quoted as being the same given a .1/.2s difference either way?

I have no doubt a willy would disappear beyond 60 but up to that point I doubt it.

Only way to find out is a completely standard 16v vs Willy challenge.
Your right m8, the difference is minimal. Paul saw me n Wayne have a rolling do from about 20mph in 2nd and Wayne actually crept ahead slightly until 3rd gear. Okay, so my gearbox is different, but the only difference it makes is that the car aint on cam as much as it should after a gear change, but it will hit 65mph in 2nd, so just about evens out.

Clio 182

Quote: Originally posted by Martin. on 19 October 2004
Quote: Originally posted by dan_mk1nova on 19 October 2004Anyone have a vid 0-100 of a standard willy??
i could do one for the 16v? if you could call it standard??[/QUOTE]Your car isnt standard IIRC...Ive got a vid of my williams 0-100...its about as standard as yours;) lol

Lol! mines only decat, filter and zaust tho! might go out and film one now actually...anyone got webspace??

Clio 182

Couldnt bloody find anywhere to do it! grrrr! ill have to wait till pod, must be under 20 secs tho, if im crossing the line at pod doing 90 in 15.5....

williams and trophy

well.........my willy in same trim modwise as u u mailto:mate....14.6@95......so">mate....14.6@95......so nearly a second quicker than a valver........bout rite that

Like with your stereo on max volume, full performance is something rarely used in a car. As an ex-owner of both cars, my main addition to the debate is that the Willy was IMO the superior "pootling" car: the damping and comfort were great despite the bespoke harsh suspension rates and 85% of peak torque at 2500rpm made brisk driving a real pleasure at low speeds.

I honestly believe that the Willy and 16V are the greatest hot hatch pairing yet, better I might I add than the excellent 1.9 and 1.6 205 GTis Ive recently had the pleasure of driving (mainly IMO due to the stability, suppleness and poise... no sting in the tail and all that). These are still THE cars of my driving life and deservedly the darlings of the misty-eyed motoring press.

The 172/182 have too much talented competition and dont move the game on enough IMO to take the mantle, although time will tell. The issue would be resolved IMO by making a limited edition 182 with a garish colour-scheme, 2.2 bottom end and cult-inducing name. ;) Watch out for me in my "ID" option coloured 182 soon though, for thats where Im probably headed next!! Lets just say that my Cliosport membership will be getting renewed.:D

At over a decade old (more so for the 16V), time plays a bigger role in the performance difference between the two. That said, my old Willy made way over 150bhp... just like most F7R 2.0 engined cars. The main difference was noticeable up big hills and the flexibility, but you really have to be discerning to notice most of the difference otherwise (and yes... I am discerning).

So, there we have it. Three cheers for the Valver and Williams... and a tear from my eye, of which they are both still the apple.

Clio 182

Hehe, to put it simply, theyre both bloody awsome old skool hatches that can show the new boys a thing or two! *runs to hide from old vs new debate, lmfao*