ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Windows 7 SP1 released...

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
That update's almost as big as Snow Leopard's entire footprint. LOL!

EDIT: It's actually bigger!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
More importantly - the release of SP1 effectively kills Microsoft's interest in XP now. They've been stating for ages that the instant SP1 is released for Win7, then XP is considered well and truly dead.

D.

More importantly - the release of SP1 effectively kills Microsoft's interest in XP now. They've been stating for ages that the instant SP1 is released for Win7, then XP is considered well and truly dead.

D.
XP has been out of mainstream support for a while now.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
XP has been out of mainstream support for a while now.

Sure has m8. Iirc, it was April/May last year when they started calling it a day on XP. From what the licencing people have said that I've spoken too, the release of SP1 would be the final nail in the coffin. I think it's generally accepted that XP has had it's day now though. :)

D.

ahaha, I actually said to my boss this morning I hope they do a service pack soon due to the amount of updates!

So the changelist is as follows (maybe with some other irrelvant stuff)

* Improved HDMI audio device performance: there’s a small update that helps reliability of HDMI audio devices after rebooting. This is listed as a feature in the release notes, but really feels like a bug fix.
* Corrected behavior when printing mixed-orientation XPS documents: If you’re trying to print XPS documents that have landscape and portrait pages in the same document, now they will print correctly. All 5 of you can now rejoice.
* Change to behavior of “Restore previous folders at logon” functionality: If you used the “Restore previous folders at logon” feature in Folder Options, the folders would restore into a cascaded set of windows. Now they will restore to where they were.
* Support for Advanced Vector Extensions (AVX): supports a newer processor extension that improves performance for floating point intensive applications.
* Improved Support for Advanced Format (512e) Storage Devices: hard drive manufacturers are transitioning to a new 4KB physical sector size, and now Windows 7 supports this better.

Kinda useless for me tbh. I don't think I'll waste my time installing this just now.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I'm still running XP if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Being Microsoft it probably will break soon LOL

Newer apps and games are going to stop supporting XP altogether soon-ish, if they haven't already started

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I've no idea how big my W7 X64 download was, it mentioned max of 800 odd meg though. I left it installing and went to bed

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Mine was minimal, it had 3 other things to download and the whole lot was around 80MB. I guess it depends how up-to-date your machine is.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
installed in no time on mine, but then you'd expect that with it being i7 and having 12GB & SSD.

Mito Sportiva 135
Mine had 4 updates to install last night after I went to turn off the machine, guessing one of these would have been the SP?

BMW M135i
Unless i'm being blind/stupid/otherwise I can't find a like to down the Server 2008 R2 SP1? Showed up in windows update and wsus but google can't find me a direct download??

Anyone got one?

DCi
I've got my laptop doing it at the moment hopefully it will be done by when I get home.

I bet this doesnt encourage our work to upgrade from server 2003/XP haha