ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Windows 7 won't connect to router.

As of last night my computer no longer wants to connect to the router. It was working in the morning I went out for the day came back (left the computer on) and suddenly it couldn't connect it just hangs on saying Identifying. Now I've tried both wireless and wired connections to the router and no joy. The PS3, iPhone 5 can connect to the wifi no problems. My mum and dads kindle fires connect to the wifi just fine the dining room computer connects to the router just fine but that is a wired connection.

It's just my computer? I've tried disabling, enabling the adapters. Uninstalling both adapters and letting them re install and still no luck. I've ran in safe mode with networking still the same problem "Identifying".

Anyone have any clues on what to try next? I've not touched or changed the computer in anyway. I've tried a system restore and it doesn't want to do that it keeps failing.

Here's what it's like at the moment.

null_zpsb24c82a3.jpg

Cheers

Nick

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
So you've tried a wired connection?

Check DevMgr to make sure drivers are up to date?

Try erasing all network profiles, and rejoining then!

So you've tried a wired connection?

Check DevMgr to make sure drivers are up to date?

Try erasing all network profiles, and rejoining then!

As far as I know they are up to date mate although I hope windows updates keeps them up to date lol. I've deleted the wifi profile Linksys which is what our router is and re connected and that's not helped it asks for the password and then I type it in it connects then says Identifying and doesn't move from that.

I don't actually know how to use it lol! I know your suppose to push the button and then the button on the wireless adapter (if you have a Linksys easy connect button on it) and it connect but I don't have one on the adapter on the computer. I can plug a USB pen drive into the back of the router and it would download settings to it then just stick it in the computer but I've not tried that yet.

Monaco 172
Try setting a static IP if you haven't already, being stuck on identifying implies that it is not getting an address via DHCP. Im going to guess the following:

Static IP: 192.168.1.170
Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1

OR

Static IP: 192.168.2.170
Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.2.1

Try a those two different combinations as they are pretty much standard for home equipment.

IT LIVES!

Upon further investigation turns out the DHCP Client service on my computer had s**t the bed, I had to delete a registry key value and restart and it allowed it to start back up again. Ahhh better.

Posted from the arsehole of a computer.

DCi
I'd definitely say it would be something to do with the drivers, or a reg f**k up.
Was gonna say it's unlikely to be drivers if you can't connect via wifi or wired as they are 2 different drivers to go bang at once. Not impossible but improbable.

we have an answer now anyway.

Paddy, it's set to automatic right now just turns out the windows DHCP service was failing to start and deleting a registry key and restarting installs a new key and it started again.

Phoon, a turkey butty with salt on mate :p.