ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Windows 8 fast boot problems

Focus RS, 182 gone
Well, after 6 months of using windows 8 I've now disabled the fast boot option which is on by default, because iv noticed a problem with it, that to be fair has only happened twice in 6 months. The problem: If a program like your anti virus has updated that day and needs a restart, but does not notify that it needs a restart, so its basically going to finish the update at the next shut down, and you shut down the pc with fast boot enabled, everything seems to be shutting down properly but the pc never actually goes off, the screen goes off but the pc is still on with the HDD light flashing away for hours on end. To get it to go off i found you have to hold down the power button which forces a full shut down. No good.

Whereas when the fast boot is disabled, everything is fine. The only downside to it is that boot time increases from 57secs, to 1m37secs.

Has anyone else had/noticed this problem? :clown:

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
If you want fast boot, but don't want fast boot enabled you need an SSD! I've just built a middle of the road spec PC with an SSD with the os on. My boot time is currently <15 seconds from pushing the button to being on and ready!

Focus RS, 182 gone
Yeah thats right, but my pc hasnt got a solid state HDD. I think the idea of fast boot was for people who dont have SSD.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Yeah thats right, but my pc hasnt got a solid state HDD. I think the idea of fast boot was for people who dont have SSD.

It is, but if you use it every time you will get the issue you've been experiencing as you've said it's never properly shut down. To my knowledge there's no way round it other than a weekly proper reboot?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Pretty sure my 6 year old laptop with windows 7 on boots faster than a minute! That seems slow to me anyway.

Focus RS, 182 gone
Windows 8 does boot a lot slower than 7, when i say boot i mean to actually being on a web page. But with an i5 and 16gb of ram, that is the correct boot time.

Clio Trophy
No such thing as a correct boot time, there are many things that can effect how long it takes