ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Windows Vista Ultimate

Audi TT 225
Anyone else running it?

Ive been using it since the final release was launched and it looks stunning, media centre rocks and hooks up with TV and xbox 360 very well. New office is also cool.

But its not without issues... even browsing can be difficult, it crashes in good old windows blue screen of death fassion. Seems a little unstable some times. It seems to do too much stuff in the back ground and if you leave it for any length of time it seems to start doing stuff because I hear my hard drive going nuts.
Driver support is limmited but you can force XP drivers onto it to get your devices working but Im sure this will improve with time.

Anyone else got any thoughts on it?

RS 200
Running Vista Business, been on it for about 6-7 weeks and has been great. We've found that the driver support in Vista has been excellent, picks up majority of hardware and if it doesnt have it already its got it off windows update.
No faster than XP however but has been reliable seeing as its very much in its infantcy.

Also been using Office 2007 and have got to say i'm really liking it, looks good, works well and things are easy to find in it.

corsa c exclusiv
looking to upgrade soon, im currently running xp professional, but can get a hold of vista for about £33 :D

corsa c exclusiv
by buying a license through the school, i don't actually get a copy of the disc because that would then be illegal, but they can install it for me, and i give them £33, so its like i am buying the license from them

GW RS200
Works fine. Two issues though. Was getting bluescreens often until I realised that Aero was overheating my GFX card. Added a fan to it and haven't had a problem since. Will someone for the love of God release a yenc plugin for Windows Mail (and nah I don't wanna use a third party reader!)...

S.

SLK 350
I dont need any MS software.. thx.

^Hero!

Myself I won't be ungrading until I actually see a valid reason to ditch XP, it does everything I need it to do, and i'd rather not start running some buggy OS in it's place.

GW RS200
I dont need any MS software.. thx.

^Hero!

Myself I won't be ungrading until I actually see a valid reason to ditch XP, it does everything I need it to do, and i'd rather not start running some buggy OS in it's place.

See your point, but to be honest I could do everything I needed to do in MSDOS, but where's the fun in that? That's the point - using Vista is actually quite novel if you've been used to using XP every office hour for the last 6 years!

S.

dk

911 GTS Cab
i'm doing a microsoft course and get all software for £5 including all versions of vista :)
really, i've never heard of this when i have done MS courses, sure it isn't just evals you get, like 60 day versions, thats what they normally give?

SLK 350
MS-DOS, well it's still useful at times :)

But as simple and effective it is, I couldn't do anything like as much as I need to in XP, it's just not versatile enough.

My point is moving to an unproven, bug ridden OS, with numerous exploits which are being discovered daily - well lets just say it doesn't excite me. MS policy of patching security holes is hardly 0 day either. I'll let you guinea pigs iron out the creases for me, and I'll take another look at it when SP1/SP2 is released.

Audi TT 225
Ive got a full on MSDN account with work so I can download everything microsoft have ever produced.
Aero is very sexy and I like the new alt+tab replacement but I also feel it puts too much strain on the gfx card but I guess this is the direction MS are going at the moment.
Mine seems to bluescreen when its trying to produce thumbnails of movies and stuff via media centre on the TV.
Office is very good I do like the new layout its much cleaner.

Hate the side bar thats straight from the Linux community lol

Wish they would hurry up and finish VS Orcas and add XNA support. Its also bothering me that it seems to have .Net 3.0 installed but I cant seem to use it.

Some of my hardware I had trouble with like my bluetooth, it works but it nags for a driver which is crazy. Also my sound card doesn't seem fully supported but it works, Ive lost my 5.1 and its only working on 2 speakers :(

Not a Clio
^ the Linux community doesn't use sidebars... there are desklets available but no sidebars (that I know of) so don't blame us for crappy windows features, they didn't copy us! ;)

Better than yours. C*nt.
it crashes in good old windows blue screen of death fassion...

Driver support is limmited but you can force XP drivers onto it to get your devices working but Im sure this will improve with time.

There's your BSOD problem - driver incompatibilities. I haven't put Vista on anything yet as my laptop is the only machine I would be bothered to, but Sony are taking the piss regards putting drivers out.

i stuck it on my old d800 dell and it worked fine didnt crash once ! but it was dog slow it took about 5-6 minutes to turn on and get to the desktop where as with xp its about 40 seconds

Better than yours. C*nt.
i stuck it on my old d800 dell and it worked fine didnt crash once ! but it was dog slow it took about 5-6 minutes to turn on and get to the desktop where as with xp its about 40 seconds

I noticed that with older pre-release versions, but haven't had time to f**k this laptop up yet. People say it's a lot better but I don't have drivers as I said.

this was the last version iirc (cant remember the build number) im not such a fan of the networking wizards and stuff seems a bit too guided for me but i suppose most people are having some sort of network at home now so they need it to be simple

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I forgot which Release Candidate I tried. Seemed quite nippy for an O/S but I'd be the first to disable all the flashy 3D b****cks - complete waste of time. I'll be sticking with XP64 for the forseeable future - I'll use Vista if and when some decent DX10 stuff comes out for it.

D.

Mitsubishi Colt
Mine seems to bluescreen when its trying to produce thumbnails of movies and stuff via media centre on the TV.

You got the K-Lite Codec pack installed?

Spotted that with mine if you install the pack in default mode. If you install it in "playback only" mode, it appears fine.

I've just upgraded my home computer to :

windows-3.png

i only started my windows life with windows 3.0 :( but started it all with dos 2.11 or dos 3 possibly its a little hazy it was along time ago

I've just upgraded my home computer to :

windows-3.png

happy days! I started with Windows 3.0. I remember putting 3.1 on my 486sx2-50 and it used to boot in 8 secs to the windows shell.

Now I think windows is a big bag of s**t! heehee.

^ I did install Windows 3.1 on a 286 running at 15mhz IIRC (IBM PS2) once. It ran quite well once you got over the fact that the bus didnt allow you to use the HDD and FDD at the same time.

Better than yours. C*nt.
^ I did install Windows 3.1 on a 286 running at 15mhz IIRC (IBM PS2) once. It ran quite well once you got over the fact that the bus didnt allow you to use the HDD and FDD at the same time.

Quality! :D

I'm only 21, so my first PC PC was a 386 SX, followed by a 486DX2!

Before that it was just the finest money could buy:

Amiga500.jpg

Last edited:
  A red missile
Only reason I'll swap to Vista is when halo2 comes out on the PC, the s**tbags at microshaft have decided to make it Vista only :mad::mad:

Amiga500.jpg

i had a spectrum from the age of 4 then started takeing pc's apart at 11 with my first 8086 and then 8088 several 286's 386's 486's overdrives etc then onwards and upwards got a job building pc's at 15 then did a stint as a tech at pc world, thenl i couldnt give a damn about pc's any more so i got a job as a net admin in 99 i still have almost 0 intrest in pcs ishame they are still my job :(

Better than yours. C*nt.

Amiga500.jpg

i had a spectrum from the age of 4 then started takeing pc's apart at 11 with my first 8086 and then 8088 several 286's 386's 486's overdrives etc then onwards and upwards got a job building pc's at 15 then did a stint as a tech at pc world, thenl i couldnt give a damn about pc's any more so i got a job as a net admin in 99 i still have almost 0 intrest in pcs ishame they are still my job :(

That's cos you're an old git. The 386 was new when I started at a whole 8 years old. When I was 12 the Pentium was rocking my schools!

lol when i left secondary school they were still using a pentium 60 with single speed cd but thats because they spent fook all on pc's the rest were all 486's that was in 96

as for been old im only 26 well 27 in march :(

Audi TT 225
Using XP drivers is actually suggested in a microsoft artical which leads me to believe theres not much difference behind the scenes. I only installed 1 anyways which was for my sound card. Im not talking about RC versions Ive got a final release.

Ive been using and programming computers since... well.... since there were computers!
ZX81, Spectrum 48k's lol
I had a 286 with no hard drive a lovely two tone black and yellow screen lol, also 386, 486 DX66, P90 all the way upto present date.
I even had the first ever games console.... yup the wired remtoes with the tennis game on the TV LOL

And in all these years.... they still dont work as they should lmao!

Fiesta ST
i'm doing a microsoft course and get all software for £5 including all versions of vista :)
really, i've never heard of this when i have done MS courses, sure it isn't just evals you get, like 60 day versions, thats what they normally give?

MSDN account - Just pay £5 for admin fee (for someone to lend me the disk and get me a serial number to use. All full working versions and each serial is 10 user license) all legal and above board :)

1.4 Clio Alize, Volvo S40
Been using vista rc1 on my laptop for ages, looks nice but thats about it. it doesn't want to network print with my XP machines and everything is in 'completely the wrong place' as far as i'm concerned, i know how to get XP to do exactly what i want!!

Obviously I will upgrade eventually but as I will only be happy with ultimate edition, and I dont want to pay £360 for it!! (and i want build myself a new PC to run it on!!)

RenaultSport Clio 172 CUP
Should be getting the Ultimate version tomorrow morning if my friend comes around :) hope it aint as unstable as windows 98 :p