ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Windscreen wiper problem

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I noticed this yesterday when it started to rain a little bit .
In the auto position , it wiped as normal then suddenly stopped then started again after a few seconds . In Position 1 , the slower speed it works fine , wipes and never stops . When I put it in position 2 , faster speed nothing at all .
The passenger side windscreen wiper has been loose for a while. It stops about 2 inches for the normal stop postion . I can move it by hand about 2 inches up or down.

Does anybody have any idea what might be causing this problem? Is it just the linkage , maybe something else ? I've been soaking the 3 nuts all morning with plus gas in preparation to attempt to take off the windscreen wipes and scuttle panel . I'll go and buy one of those bearing pullersI've seen people recommend from Halfords this afternoon .

Any help would be much appreciated. I've searched CS and google but can't find the exact problem I'm having.

A couple of pics and a small video so you can see the position of the wiper.
DIwAsZF.jpg

iXkUdRE.jpg

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I'd taken the nuts off to soak them windscreen wiper splines in Plus gas. I've been out tonight , auto would wipe sometimes twice then stop then sometimes 4 times then stop . Then all of a sudden Auto is working , position 1 slow wipe is still working but when I move it to position 2 fast wipe nothing , the windscreen wipers don't move at all . ?
Surely somebody else must have had this problem ?

Last edited:

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Bit of an update . I took the mechanism and motor out. There's alot of play in the mechanism on the right hand side . I've reset the passenger side wiper so theres no play in that now . Still no fast speed so I'm guessing either stalk or motor ?

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
I'm having a mare with mine too, noisy as and my auto function would wipe 3-4 times quickly then stop for a while then go again.

I'm going to take the wipers off at the weekend and also try and clean the auto wiper sensor.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I'm having a mare with mine too, noisy as and my auto function would wipe 3-4 times quickly then stop for a while then go again.

I'm going to take the wipers off at the weekend and also try and clean the auto wiper sensor.
I've just been and reset the wipers on both sides , it wasn't sweeping the whole winsdscreen , it still isn't , but its better than it was . I guess there's an art to setting the wipers in the rest position and how far it sweeps across the windscreen .
Auto is working but a bit temperamental and fast wipe still isn't working .

Get yourself one of these ball joint separators and give the spines a good soaking if they've never been off before .
http://www.halfords.com/workshop-to...4Ox7DuFeQCEmyCPhtJnBISJg2aUSZuGAaAhXxEALw_wcB

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
Ah great tip on the ball joint puller, I've one in the toolbox but usually just pry wipers off, that said I've never tried to remove them on a Clio before.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Ah great tip on the ball joint puller, I've one in the toolbox but usually just pry wipers off, that said I've never tried to remove them on a Clio before.
I meant splines not spines lol . They came off pretty easy with the ball joint puller , bearing in mind they've been on there for 12 years

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
16 years for mine, although I've a suspicion that the reason they're making a racket is because someone has had them off before and hasnt mounted them correctly.