ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Winter Sealant Time

106 GTi
Woke up to a lovely sunny day that I was not expecting so took the chance to do the winter paint prep and winter sealant today.

Normal process would have been Autoglym Super Resin and then a few layers (2 or 3) of there Extra Gloss Protection, problem is the 1 hour cure time of the EGP, the fact you have to get it on really thin means it is time consuming, you have to be carefull as it will mark trim, and the fact you need to leave 12-24 hours between coats to get maximum protection means 3 coats is a long process. In the long term it will give a finish that looks good and should last the winter months ( 3 months protection at least) meaning a weekly wash and QD should be all you need to do in the cold days.

But it seems the game has moved on a bit and there is now a product that claims the same level of protection, no cure time or wait between layers in a spray form as easy to use a quick detail spray!

JEFFS Werkstatt Acrylic Jett Trigger

For use you spray some product onto a microfiber towel, wipe onto a panel, allow to haze for 10-20 seconds and wipe of with a clean MF towel, as easy as that for the same results as Autoglym EGP, but allowing a coats to be applied in 15 mins, this I had to try.

The surface needs to be preped with a pre wax cleaner to allow the sealant to bond, there is there own one called Prime, but it is the modified version of Klasse AIO and Carlack 68 of which I already have both so didnt bother buying that. I think it will even work over Autoglym Super Resin but I have not had a chance to try that yet.

Started of with a Meguiars Yellow foam hand pad on half the rear quarter panel first. Klasse AIO is a chemical cleaner so will strip through anything on your paint, leaving a clean and glossy surface layer down an acrylic layer the sealant should bond to. But be aware it is an unforgiving product that will highlight an swirl marks and scratches in the paint that other products may help to hide. With this in mind I had the PC out thinking I may need it. Even in direct sunlight the AIO'd area looked ok, some slight micromarring but nothing major or that I am going to address until the spring as I dont want to be polishing it more than once a year. With this in mind. I went round the car with the Klasse a panel time by hand wipe on and wipe off.

Sealant time, two plush microfiber cloths, one to spray the product onto one to remove, couple of spritz's of sealant to the towel, wipe onto the panel, allow to haze and remove. It really is that easy. In the sunlight it was ok to remove but did leave a slight haze that needed a rewipe in places with the applicator towel and a rewipe ( I think this will only be noticeable on dark colours though ). In the shaded side of the car not a problem. I was able to get 3 coats on the car in a few hours today so a big time saver on the EGP.

Looks wise it has a clearer look to the EGP, but is deep and glossy and leaves the metallic flake on show, with very slick finish. It does not leave Black paint looking grey and washed out in bright sunlight like some sealants do either. Time will tell how well it last and if it is a durable as say the EGP. Highly recommended from me from me if you want decent protection in a very very easy and quick form.

A few pictures here:

Winter Prep Gallery

106 GTi
IMG_4931.jpg

IMG_4942.jpg

IMG_4930.jpg

IMG_4928.jpg

106 GTi
Cheers Marie, No probs - well worth waiting till the get some back in stock as it really takes the effort out of things with great results!

Maz

LY 200
The surface needs to be preped with a pre wax cleaner to allow the sealant to bond,

^^ do I need to order that as well then or was it on the list you gave me ??

M135i
cheers for that rich. i was looking at the EGP today and was going to buy it. lucky i didnt, ill get hold of this instead. im going to be doing mine over next weekend. is there a decent wax and paint cleaner you recommend as im buying products this week.

106 GTi
No probs Marie

cheers for that rich. i was looking at the EGP today and was going to buy it. lucky i didnt, ill get hold of this instead. im going to be doing mine over next weekend. is there a decent wax and paint cleaner you recommend as im buying products this week.

Before using the Acrylic Jett Trigger you have the choices of.

Autoglym Super Resin Polish
Klasse All in One ( I used this)
Carlack 68
JEFFS Werkstatt Acrylic Prime

All will pretty much do the same job, the AG SRP has some light cut to it, so is the ideal choice if you need a light polish first. You could go with the JEFFS Prime as it is made to work with there sealant. I already had lots of the Klasse AIO and didnt really need to Polish so I went with that rather then the AG SRP, and was not prepared to buy the Prime which is a modified version of the AIO.

I will top the sealant with a long lasting wax as well, probably Meguiars #16 as last year.

M135i
excellent. cheers buddy. i already have some SRP so ill just use that. wheres the best place to get the #16 from?

FF Blackgold 182
Might have a look at those products Rich. Cheers as always with ur wealth of detailing knowledge.:approve:

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
that car is so clean i could cry! If mine was half as clean and shiny as that id be happy. You dont fancy a trip to the north east do you rich?

Clio 172 Mk2
looks absolutely superb mate!! I applied my newly recieved collinite to a couple of panels on my 172 cup today, really is a nice product and i hear its meant to be great for winter durability. Gonna do the whole car with it tomorrow after a good going over with meguiars speed glaze. If it looks anything like yours i will be happy

106 GTi
looks absolutely superb mate!! I applied my newly recieved collinite to a couple of panels on my 172 cup today, really is a nice product and i hear its meant to be great for winter durability. Gonna do the whole car with it tomorrow after a good going over with meguiars speed glaze. If it looks anything like yours i will be happy

Get some pics up when your done - the collinite has a big following not one I have tried as I still have loads of Megs 16 left.

Might have a look at those products Rich. Cheers as always with ur wealth of detailing knowledge.:approve:

Works well on Black Gold so worth looking into.

that car is so clean i could cry! If mine was half as clean and shiny as that id be happy. You dont fancy a trip to the north east do you rich?

Going to do a UK tour next spring visiting all areas! :clown:

Wow mate stunning as usual ,what other forums have you posted on ,will save me time trying to find them and posting lol:cool:

soon: 172 Cup
Rich, that looks AMAZING,

You should really do a cleaning guide you know! i know i would love to get some knowledge from the cleaning *****'s!!!!!

V

valver pete

Between the coats of EGP is a wash or a Quick detail better. Or does it not make any difference? Did a coat yesterday but driving today has got her a bit dirty again. It is a bit of a pain, might have to get some jeffs!