ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winter Tyres

Do you use winter tyres

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Very true, although lets be honest, if you can't afford to change a set of tyres over, you shouldn't really have a car. Good point about storage. Helps if you have access to a garage or a large shed.

My point wasn't not being able to afford £50, it was more - I can think of a lot of better things to spend that £50 on... The way I feel about motoring lately it's going to be lucky to get a fiver spent on it for some immigrant down ASDA wash it.

CIW

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 Track Car
I live on a hill, two winters ago neither of the cars I had at the time moved for nearly six weeks. Last year I got some winter tyres for the station hack and never looked back, we were running errands for neighbours with 4x4's and could park the car on the driveway rather than half a mile away which is the nearest the gritters get to us:

164093_178853022143126_100000552871377_513472_7627521_n.jpg
This year we have a BMW so it was even more of a no brainer, bought some 17" alloys off eBay, refurbed them and put on some Dunlop SP-4's and I'm set up for the next couple of years (at least) with no further expenditure required.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
Never bothered before, in my 18 years of driving, but this year I have bought some

The reason is, rwd + 500Nm of torque + 255/35/18 tyres, it's just not going to work and I need my car

So I got a set of cheap 17" alloys off eBay and a couple of pairs of part worn 225/45/17 winter tyres, also off eBay

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
FAO people who have or have bought winter tyres in the past..

What brands would you say to go for? do you treat the names the same as you do with summer tyres, ie, only go for dunlops, contis etc etc - or are the slightly cheaper winter tyres just as good?

Ive been ringing around a few places this morning and they're now struggling with getting hold of winter tyre stock, prielli's are going to cost me £180 a corner, where as i could buy some Sonars? for £100 a corner

Do people have any experience of winter tyres from the not so known names?

But is buying a more unknown brand a bad idea?

IIRC Nokians seem to be well rated despite being an unknown name. Other thing to do is check out the comparison tests some of the motoring press have done to get an overview.

Ford Mundano
Interesting two statements there. The country is poorly prepared yet you are doing nothing to prepare. Just playing devils advocate here btw.

Doesn't make a difference what tyres you have when the road ahead and behind is blocked with cars on summer tyres ;)

CIW

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 Track Car
What brands would you say to go for? do you treat the names the same as you do with summer tyres, ie, only go for dunlops, contis etc etc - or are the slightly cheaper winter tyres just as good?

Last year I was late buying and had very limited choice so ended up with some Nankang SV-2's fitted on our Alfa 147 (in the picture above). In the wet and on snow they were excellent, the only issue I had with them was the slight lack of steering precision - they clearly have pretty pliable sidewalls and this translated to less precision at motorway speeds. Of course, it probably didn't help that I'd raised the profile as well by switching to smaller rims for the winter.

Can't vouch for other budget tyres, I've seen some rated as dangerous in the wet so worth doing some research.

This year I've got Dunlop SP-4's on our new car and immediately they feel better than the Nankangs in regular driving, can't comment on snow performance yet.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I like you, you know this. But that is b****cks nobody NEEDS to get to work. Will you die if you miss work? No.
If my site had to take the plants offline for 24 hours becaue not enough people could make it in, the losses in profit would be way, way into 6 figures.

No I wouldn't die, but can you imagine the bollocking one would recieve for taking a 'snow day' if this happened?

VaVa
Nah. Both got FWD cars, live near work or use main roads etc. No big hills to tackle etc.

I'm not against the idea, but have no real need to change tyres myself. Unfortunately, where I live now, I can walk to work. No snow days for me!! :(

Doesn't make a difference what tyres you have when the road ahead and behind is blocked with cars on summer tyres ;)

You're assuming they all made it off the driveway and haven't planted it into the nearest grass verge or row of parked cars. Which given some of the displays of driving I witnessed last time we had snow was the most likely fate of many running summers.

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
As above, the nankang sv2's were very good and I had them last winter and the car acted like it was just on a dry road (excluding braking/putting my foot down.

I think I bought them in November and they cost me £210 for four at 215/55/17. ( I think that's what they were)

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Winter tyres wont work on ice either.

Think about it...
Compacted snow can also be troublesome

Compound - suited to low temp
Tread blocks - designed to have more edges to key
On winter wheels - allows thinner/taller profile.

Don't get me wrong fella, I see the advantages of winter tyres, and will be buying some once I am back.

172, Tiguan
It's worth saying that buying winter tyres (part worn) off of ebay is a bit of a flase economy. I've read winter tyres tend to go off the boil a bit with 4mm left on them. You'll notice most on ebay are sold with 4mm of tread left.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Bought mine because I could. They've been great so far in the cold mornings/evenings on my commute. Done about 500 miles so far, and the injection moulding nipples are jsut about worn out.

I've got somewhere to store a set of wheels, and I had a spare set, so I flogged the old tyres, and bought winters.

6172817846_94406ff938_z.jpg

They're epic in the wet, don't understeer in the cold like the summers did (harder compound, less flexible in the cold), and slight over-size means a little more ground clearance which will help when the Arctic lands on the doorstep.

If it doesn't snow at all, a little extra security in my mind is surely a good thing. I managed in my old Ph1 on Paradas in the snow 2 years ago... however, the brakes might as well have been left at home for obvious reasons. As mentioned above, these will be better by quite a margin even in the wet, let alone cold/snow/icy conditions.

I don't see it as an extra expense really as I'm not using the other tyres. I'd expect to see 3 years minimum out of these as they'll only be on until Feb/March... We'll see :approve:

Black Gold Trophy
Set of cheap 15's from eBay or the for sale section on here bang some rubber on them then tuck your 16's away until spring/summer.

Yeah that's what I've been thinking, but I honestly cant find a cheap set of OZ F1s or similar anywhere! Would be ideal track wheels too.

The only other problem with this is that 15s with 195/50/15s lower the ground clearance of the car quite alot

Last edited:

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
It's worth saying that buying winter tyres (part worn) off of ebay is a bit of a flase economy. I've read winter tyres tend to go off the boil a bit with 4mm left on them. You'll notice most on ebay are sold with 4mm of tread left.

This.
They can be worse than summer tyres if they are worn down. people trying to save £50 on a set of tyres is just stupid.

Clio
I don't have actual winter tyres but i do have a set of steelies with all weathers on which I use for winter.

White clique
admittadly that clip above with the tyre text is a big eye opener.

Just to balance it out, here is a vid with "s**t" snow socks:

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason we say snow socks are s**t Alan is that they're a one trick pony. You have to f**k about fitting them and they have to come off again when you find a section of road where the snow has been cleared or melted because they fall to pieces when run on Tarmac.

Winter tyres are better in low temps, wet greasy roads as well as snow/ice and once fitted are left on until spring/summer. I'd view the socks as an emergency item to store in the boot in case you find yourself trapped in snow. Not as a viable daily solution for bad weather and snow.

In terms of usage they're more like a snow chain.

Exactly. You coldnt uses now socks unless fitting them to get out of a specific problem. One piece of cleared road and you'd ruin them very quickly, and of course you don't benefit from the softer compound and tread pattern of a bespoke winter tyre in all conditions rather than just snow.

Winter tyres are for ballers. Snow socks are for paupers.

Last time we had snow I didn't drive my car. My boss only lives a 2min walk away and he thinks nothing can stop him so I got a lift with him. His car cost 30x the amount of mine but that didn't seem to bother him.

On one of the last days of the snow, came to a corner, only going slowly, turned and the car just drifted. Lucky there was nothing to crash into as he had zero control. He hasn't bought winter tyres but he did buy some of those snow-sock things. Be interesting to see how s**t they are when he fits them in the coming months. Lol.

Swift Sport
Exactly. You coldnt uses now socks unless fitting them to get out of a specific problem. One piece of cleared road and you'd ruin them very quickly, and of course you don't benefit from the softer compound and tread pattern of a bespoke winter tyre in all conditions rather than just snow.

Winter tyres are for ballers. Snow socks are for paupers.

Did you seen what you did there?

Italian 3.2 V6
I have never tried them but im keen. Been playing with the idea but I can't justify spending £250+ in my situation. I plan to sell our car start of next year so I'd be stuck with some random bit used winter Tyres. I wouldn't imagin they'd be worth much either?