ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winter Tyres

Do you use winter tyres

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Ultimately, I think most people just don't understand or believe how much difference they make in all poor conditions. I didn't believe it myself really until my hand was forced. Now I wouldn't dream of using summer tyres during the winter. I don't expect everyone to agree, and of course there will be people who don't want (what they perceive to be) the additional costs, but it's a bit silly arguing about the benefits of them with people who have used them.

"I can't be bothered" or "I can't afford it is fine". "They're pointless" is not fine, as it's factually incorrect.

I can't deny that they will be better. ITs obvious as thats what they are designed to do.

But out of every 1000 cars on british roads, maybe 10 have thought to buy winter tyres? (this may or may not be correct) So while your driving with loads of grip, whats stopping the other cars crashing into you?

Like I said, I won't be doing anything unless its law.

Ok, so I go out tomorrow and spend £600 on a nice set of winter boots. It then snows next week and I decide to go shopping (because I NEED to go shopping...) and i'm patiently waiting at the lights and then BAM! A 2 tonne Audi Q7 being driven by some cnut that thinks they're invincible on the snow ploughs into me and my family.

Until its law to own winter tyres, I won't be owning winter tyres. Because I will be in the minority and the roads will be just as dangerous.

I will stick to my plan of staying indoors in the 4 days of snow we have every year.

I see what you're saying, but I don't agree. There are dick heads everywhere on the roads at all times of the year. Someone can crash into you at any moment, but that's not a reason to not ensure your own vehicle is as safe as it possibly can be.

Lionel Richie
its law in most of europe, i lived in Sweden for 2 years off and on, what everyone has missed is a set of winter wheels and tyres (you don't just fit winter tyres to your summer wheels) will last you 3-5seasons no problem

if you have factory 19's you can fit a set of 17inch wheels with winter tyres etc, there's a list in your handbook

it should be made Law in this country IMO, would also help to get more s**t cars off the road, no one will spend £600 on a set for a £200 s**tter

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I see what you're saying, but I don't agree. There are dick heads everywhere on the roads at all times of the year. Someone can crash into you at any moment, but that's not a reason to not ensure your own vehicle is as safe as it possibly can be.

My vehicle is as safe as it can possibly be. :S

if you have factory 19's you can fit a set of 17inch wheels with winter tyres etc, there's a list in your handbook

Not when you've got f**k-off 360mm 6-pot brakes you can't lol. I fit mine to my OEM 19s. Obviously it's more hassle this way though. TBH I'd probably still swap the tyres over even without the big brakes. Sack driving around on s**t rims for half the year. All-season baller!

White clique
in my 32 years on this planet, i think its snowed about 6 or 7 of those years tops (that i can remember). I've not yet ever noticed my tyres underperform in cold temps, but i just dont drive my car to a point where i can feel the tyres limits anyway (unlike some chebs on here who love blasting the twisties - IMO more dangerous that driving in winter without winter tyres).

If they became law of course i'd put them on, and if someone fitted them in secret over night and i woke up and they were there, i'd keep them on. But as for fitting them so i can bumlick a load of car enthusiasts - NO TA.

My vehicle is as safe as it can possibly be. :S

Well ok, but in the winter it isn't, because it has summer tyres. Anyway. Your choice, and I can understand it TBH considering it would be a logistical and financial nightmare for you.

its law in most of europe, i lived in Sweden for 2 years off and on, what everyone has missed is a set of winter wheels and tyres (you don't just fit winter tyres to your summer wheels) will last you 3-5seasons no problem

it should be made Law in this country IMO, would also help to get more s**t cars off the road, no one will spend £600 on a set for a £200 s**tter

This is the way to do it. Here in Germany most people have two sets of wheels, I have 16" steelies for the winter and 18" alloys for the summer months. Ultimately you'll use the same amount of rubber over the long term (across the two sets of tyres), however you need to pay for a second set upfront. I'm a massive convert after seeing the difference they make, not just in snow but in cold wet and slippy conditions.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Well ok, but in the winter it isn't, because it has summer tyres. Anyway. Your choice, and I can understand it TBH considering it would be a logistical and financial nightmare for you.

But in the snow/ice, it stays at home so it doesn't matter what tyres are on it! lol.

(i'm going now, i'll leave this thread alone)

But in the snow/ice, it stays at home so it doesn't matter what tyres are on it! lol.

(i'm going now, i'll leave this thread alone)

Yes but if you had used winter tyres you wouldn't have that view. That's the whole point. lol! ;)

Oh and lol at "bumlick car enthusiasts". Yes Alan, this is about impressing people :rolleyes: You've said yourself loads of times that your car is abysmal in the snow. I find your attitute to winter tyres quite perplexing, given that you know only too well what summer tyres can be like on snow. Plus I thought you were baller :(

Last edited:
Buy winter tyres go to work.

Don't stay home in the warm.

Hmmm hard one.

I have a van so if my company decide to put them then great if not then I will stay at home.

White clique
Yes but if you had used winter tyres you wouldn't have that view. That's the whole point. lol! ;)

Oh and lol at "bumlick car enthusiasts". Yes Alan, this is about impressing people :rolleyes: You've said yourself loads of times that your car is abysmal in the snow. I find your attitute to winter tyres quite perplexing, given that you know only too well what summer tyres can be like on snow.

Why so perplexing? I work from home when it snowed, was a pain in the arse but actually i didnt die and i'm still here to tell the tale. BMW themselves told me that a RWD 3.0 auto is hopeless in the snow regardless of the tyres, and the safest option was not to take it out at all. And guess what - its free! So thats what i will chose to do. Its a bit like saying i MUST buy myself some earmuffs to keep my ears warm, even though i'm not going out in the snow.

I jest about bumlicking enthusiasts - however there are some who given half the chance would bat one out over a heap of winter tyres, given some of the responses in here.

I would say it depends on your employer or if you are self employed etc.

I still get paid so happy days.

Genuine question now as silly as it seems. When winter tyres come in, is that when tyres became categorised.

I.e summer tyres as they are now, would of once been all year round tryes right?

Why so perplexing? I work from home when it snowed, was a pain in the arse but actually i didnt die and i'm still here to tell the tale. BMW themselves told me that a RWD 3.0 auto is hopeless in the snow regardless of the tyres, and the safest option was not to take it out at all. And guess what - its free! So thats what i will chose to do. Its a bit like saying i MUST buy myself some earmuffs to keep my ears warm, even though i'm not going out in the snow.

I jest about bumlicking enthusiasts - however there are some who given half the chance would bat one out over a heap of winter tyres, given some of the responses in here.

Yeah that's fair enough then. Maybe my trolldar was playing up with the bumlicking car enthusiasts comment.

I would say it depends on your employer or if you are self employed etc.

I still get paid so happy days.

Genuine question now as silly as it seems. When winter tyres come in, is that when tyres became categorised.

I.e summer tyres as they are now, would of once been all year round tryes right?

A proper winter tyre has to be marked as M&S (mud and snow). Without that marking, it doesn't qualify, and would be illegal. That's as I understand it anyway. Pretty sure that's how it works in Europe.

White clique
So Roy, do you use winter tyres?

and spring tyres to deal with rain showers, summer tyres to deal with heatwaves, and autumn tyres to deal with leaves?

I also hope Roy packs a shovel, blanket, distress flare and flask of hot tea in his car when it drops below 7 degrees - well Roy??

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
I won't be buying winter tyres as for me there is no benefit. If it's cold and wet I drive slower and if it snows I work from home.

I'm not going to drive in the snow when there's a risk of being caught up in someone elses accident.

White clique
I'm geting tyred of this thread now, when the rubber hits the road, no one seems to be able to agree. It was a gripping read at first, but now the wheels have well and truly come off. Its left me feeling a bit cold.

because for me, in winter a car is about getting to and from work and thats all its for. i leave a bit earlier when it snows, take my time and get there just as safely as i would in the summer! pulling G's off the traffic lights with my winter tyres doesnt sound like fun, so i keep the £500+ in my bank and continue as usual.

nothing changes. except im not £500 worse off. good times!

ive just noticed you drive a honda, do you have enough torque to wheelspin in ice? i think your getting bent over with the fairy tail of winter tyres!

We'll just to put your mind at ease I wasn't in my crappy gutless little Honda. I've driven winter vs summer tyres back to back on a proper car so my comparisons are made on a RWD car with all the weight hanging over the rear axle, 295 width tyres and 325 lbft of torque. But thanks for your input Mr Kankkunen.

AK

M240i
Mothers got hers on.

Got them last year when the snow was really bad in Scotland and swears by them now.

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
A proper winter tyre has to be marked as M&S (mud and snow). Without that marking, it doesn't qualify, and would be illegal. That's as I understand it anyway. Pretty sure that's how it works in Europe.

A proper winter tyre has to have a 'snow' sign marked on it..
Mud and snow tyres dont nesecarily mean winter tyres.
[h=3]Severe Service Emblem[/h]
sse-logo-large.gif

You may have noticed on our web site “the snow flake on the mountain peak” symbol on all Nokian winter tyres. There are a lot of different terms used today in the tyre industry. Some of them actually mean something and some do not. The following helps explain why it is required and some history.
[h=4]High speed rated, high performance summer tyres[/h] If your tyres are marked with a V, ZR, W or Y speed rating they are high performance “summer” road tyres and were never designed for driving on snow covered roads. High speed rated summer tyres, by definition are not winter/snow tyres. All high performance AWD summer tyres become like hard plastic when the temperature falls below 7° thereby losing the flexibility needed to build up sufficient grip for braking, for starting traction and for cornering.
Today’s tyre tread designs and compounds maximize long, even wear… not winter traction.
[h=4]All season tyres[/h] Then when radial ply tyres were also found to deliver more snow traction than the straight rib bias ply tyres, the tyre company marketing departments saw an opportunity, and the term “all-season tyre” was born. Supported by advertising, all-season tyres have presented an unspoken promise that they, throughout their life, can provide traction for all-seasons…through spring’s rain, summer’s heat, autumn’s cooling and winter’s snow. And while this combined offering made all-season tyres popular, the problem is that this geometric definition doesn’t guarantee performance or any degree of safety in winter driving.
[h=4]Off-road and all-terrain AWD tyres[/h] Off-road and all-terrain AWD tyres are not specifically designed for winter/snow driving either. These types of AWD tyres are designed for off-road driving on gravel, sand and rocks and have a very high noise level. Under cool conditions—not just cold or freezing conditions—the rubber in these tyres gets even harder.
This stiffer tread compound does not conform to irregular road texture as well, and as a result has less actual contact with the road surface. Because off-road tyres have very limited siping on their tread they provide little traction in icy conditions. Only severe service winter tire has the compound to remain soft and pliable at lower temperatures.
[h=4]M+S marking on tyres is very misleading.[/h] Many AWD tyres are rated M+S, M&S or M/S, i.e., mud and snow. Established by the USA Rubber Manufacturers Association (RMA), the M+S designation refers only to the tread pattern. The M+S standard calls for a tyre with grooves at the outside of the tread that extend into the centre. It also means that 25% of the tyre tread contact surface be open, i.e., a more open tread pattern.
You will find the M+S symbol on most all-season tyres, on off-road and all-terrain tyres and even some high performance summer tyres may have this designation. However, there are no performance standards to meet or traction tests to pass. Any tyre with grooves at angles and with 25% of the tread void can be labelled as M+S.
And on icy snow and on ice, the open tread grooves have zero effect on performance. Control of the vehicle comes strictly from equal parts of the tyre rubber compound that provides adhesion and the effects from the tread sipes.

This is what a 'winter' tyre must have

SSE_450x300.jpg

Many people won't see the need until the tyres they're currently using end up contributing to an accident.

You've never bothered before, Roy. Had you not had your wall incident last year, would you be bothering this year? I very much doubt it.

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
Seeing as i wont be working if it snows, i thought i could roll around in my truck and tow people out of ditches etc for dollar. Got to make some money if im not working. ;)

Many people won't see the need until the tyres they're currently using end up contributing to an accident.

You've never bothered before, Roy. Had you not had your wall incident last year, would you be bothering this year? I very much doubt it.

That's exactly right mate. Had my hand not been forced into buying them through my misfortune, I have no doubt I would not be so enthusiastic. I've never made a secret about my reasons for starting to use them. That doesn't change any facts about their benefits, which I have experienced first hand. If anything, my reasoning makes my opinion more valid. My incident would not have happened with winter tyres. Thus saving £2000 worth of damage, increased insurance premiums, and a whole lot of inconvenience.

Last edited:
  Mondeo TXS Bardge.

They need to have a snow flake symbol, that's what qualifys them as a winter tyre. M&S is the grading of the tread pattern, basically rates them for off road use. My customers at landrover get caught out all the time thinking they have bought big knobbly winter tyre but they are just all terrain summer tyres. Yeah they have an advantage in deep snow but on slippy road conditions they will have the same problems as other people on summer tyres. Seen a few sellers on eBay selling summer m&s tyres with 3mm as winter tyres so something for people going down the part worn route need to watch out for.

That's exactly right mate. Had my hand not been forced into buying them through my misfortune, I have no doubt I would not be so enthusiastic. I've never made a secret about my reasons for starting to use them. That doesn't change any facts about their benefits, which I have experienced first hand. If anything, my reasoning makes my opinion more valid. My incident would not have happened with winter tyres. This saving £2000 worth of damage, increased insurance premiums, and whole of inconvenience.

But that's human nature. The way people go and get a big lock for the garage after they're robbed or whatever.

I think many people underestimate the difference.

What I find even stranger is that if you posted a thread on here asking for tyres, nobody will recommend cheapo tyres. You must buy the best. If you said you'd bought budgets you'd be slated. When infact budgets in the summer will give much better grip than premium summer tyres give in the snow.

They need to have a snow flake symbol, that's what qualifys them as a winter tyre. M&S is the grading of the tread pattern, basically rates them for off road use. My customers at landrover get caught out all the time thinking they have bought big knobbly winter tyre but they are just all terrain summer tyres. Yeah they have an advantage in deep snow but on slippy road conditions they will have the same problems as other people on summer tyres. Seen a few sellers on eBay selling summer m&s tyres with 3mm as winter tyres so something for people going down the part worn route need to watch out for.

Yeah cheers. I was misinformed about the M&S thing. I do know that mine are definitely proper winter tyres.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Unless its snowing and theres proper ice on the road i dont see an advantage.When its cold and wet 90% of the year a summer tyre is better.

Heres a quote from a recent test done by a magazine that had a strange conclusion.

""Once the snow had melted, we also tested the car on the wet handling circuit at the MIRA test centre, where we’d timed it during the autumn. Traditionally, winter tyres are expected to give a better wet weather grip than the standard fit, but we found that on ‘summer’ tyres the average wet lap was 1min 14.4sec, whereas on winter tyres it was 1min 16.8sec, more than two seconds off the pace.""

So in the cold and wet the summer tyre was better on a quick lap,now im not saying we are all going to do a flying lap on the way to work but when the tyre was tested in cold and wet conditions(most of the year)the summer one was better.

So snow and packed ice aside(4 days a year)why should i spend all that money on a winter tyre.

last year i couldn't even get my car off the drive this year i either stay at home or bum a lift if it even snows badly ;)
i cant get seem 215/40R17 V 87 winter tires either :lolup:
would a 180bhp fwd dsg even move its bad enough in normal weather imo :dead:

can see the point in them though

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
For those that use them, when did you switch back to your normal tyres? Jan/Feb time?

Tempted to buy some.