ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Winter Wheels Off, Summers on.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Whatever happened to your 1M plans? Perma-shelved?

I reckon so, they're not coming down in value really, which is great for you, but not so much me. It was always going to be at least two car's down the line. I was looking at going all 987 Boxster S but at the moment I just can't make up my mind.

I did consider the m135i lease, but couldn't get on with that either.

Next car will be the best I can find for approx 15k, running costs not too important.. god knows.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I need to figure out if I want some. The wheels I currently have are worth approx £600, that's more than half way to decent CSL rep money.. Oh and I have a pair of £400 headlights in the garage to sell...

CSL rims look superb on these.As for the roller skate rims you had on they are proper pony but served a purpose.Your current summer wheels look very nice but the CSL rims should be a purchase soon...

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Best car for 15k? Won't the Gen2 2.9 Boxster get near that soon, with PDK too? That's what I'd be going for, none of the IMS worries then. Know it's not an S, but the 2.9 Gen2 is nearly as quick as the Gen1 S.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Best car for 15k? Won't the Gen2 2.9 Boxster get near that soon, with PDK too? That's what I'd be going for, none of the IMS worries then. Know it's not an S, but the 2.9 Gen2 is nearly as quick as the Gen1 S.

I was looking at a 2007 ish 3.4S?

I thought the 3.4 didn't suffer the bearing issue? Plus, I imagine the 3.4 may hold it's money a little better? Or am I way off? Lower engine porkers seem to drop faster..

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I was looking at a 2007 ish 3.4S?

I thought the 3.4 didn't suffer the bearing issue? Plus, I imagine the 3.4 may hold it's money a little better? Or am I way off? Lower engine porkers seem to drop faster..

Depends if it's Gen2, they have Direct Fuel Injection, so no IMS full stop. They started the 3.4 S near the end of Gen1, so just just being a 3.4 doesn't mean it doesn't have IMS, needs to be Gen2, which they started producing in '09, think 3.4 engine started in '07. You can get an '09 2.9 not far off your budget now, but I think a 3.4 S is still some stretch.

The smaller engines will drop faster, but it will have been less when you bought it also, so it's not too bad, they'll probably drop a bit quicker, but the impact of that depends on how long you own the car for.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Much better now, the winter ones looked sh*t.

Don't sugar coat it Craig, LOL!

Depends if it's Gen2, they have Direct Fuel Injection, so no IMS full stop. They started the 3.4 S near the end of Gen1, so just just being a 3.4 doesn't mean it doesn't have IMS, needs to be Gen2, which they started producing in '09, think 3.4 engine started in '07. You can get an '09 2.9 not far off your budget now, but I think a 3.4 S is still some stretch.

The smaller engines will drop faster, but it will have been less when you bought it also, so it's not too bad, they'll probably drop a bit quicker, but the impact of that depends on how long you own the car for.

Hmmm, cheers for that. That's thrown something new into the mix.

I was under the impression that whilst the 3.4 had an IMS, I thought it had been revised, maybe not.

Is there any visual difference with the Gen2? I don't know my porsche's all too well (yet). I'm normally one to buy first, and learn about later. LOL

No ignorance needed.

Winter were needed for three reasons:

1) I did approx 11k miles over winter for work, if we had bad weather I need to be able to still drive decent distances with no concerns or getting stuck.
2) Summers are 18's, so didn't want to buy 18 inch winter tyres for a million pounds, also meant I could run down the tread on 17's
3) BMW wheels (in original finish) are notorious for having corrosion issues due to salty roads/cold weather, so I wanted to avoid that.

Your application for winter wheels has been accepted !

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Don't sugar coat it Craig, LOL!

Hmmm, cheers for that. That's thrown something new into the mix.

I was under the impression that whilst the 3.4 had an IMS, I thought it had been revised, maybe not.

Is there any visual difference with the Gen2? I don't know my porsche's all too well (yet). I'm normally one to buy first, and learn about later. LOL

I think the Gen2 have slight cosmetic changes, the front end just looks a bit fresher? Think they have revised lights, possibly with DRLs

The 3.4 does have a revised bearing, it's dual-row rather than single-row, but the dual-row has been known to let go. If you're looking at resale value, then Gen2 all the way, once they become more affordable, the earlier models could well tumble in price, as no one will want to run the risk when they can get a Gen2 at an affordable price.

I'd rather have no IMS at all.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Hmmmmmmmm... You're ruining my life.

Although a 2009'er is currently looking very expensive.

EDIT: Unless I buy the 2009'er on 90k miles for a meer 15k... LOL

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Hmmmmmmmm... You're ruining my life.

Although a 2009'er is currently looking very expensive.

Or saving it.. depends on your outlook. You're probably aware of the internet magnifying things, so you could run a Gen1 and have no problems at all, but personally if I was spending upwards of 15k on a car, I'd quite like there to be no issue that might make my engine go bang, rather than praying I'm not part of the unlucky ~5%.

I want to go all sheep and get some CSL's, but I'm just not sure on the 19's.

Have you seen the 18" M359 style (1m reps) that CM wheels are selling, good offset as well.

I actually love CSL's but on a coupe, roadster doesn't look as good. Also prefer 18's to 19's.

ETA: I was under the impression the IMS issue was largely improved on the 3.4 version as well Rob.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Have you seen the 18" M359 style (1m reps) that CM wheels are selling, good offset as well.

I actually love CSL's but on a coupe, roadster doesn't look as good. Also prefer 18's to 19's.

ETA: I was under the impression the IMS issue was largely improved on the 3.4 version as well Rob.

No, no I haven't. I must admit I agree Roadster vs Coupe on the CSL front, but I do think they can look very good on a roadster too, it just has to be done right.

Any pics of these 18's on a zed yet Sam?

I'm going to have to look more into the IMS issue, and what the deal is on the 3.4, because the age boxster fulfils a lot of my needs tbh.

No, no I haven't. I must admit I agree Roadster vs Coupe on the CSL front, but I do think they can look very good on a roadster too, it just has to be done right.

Any pics of these 18's on a zed yet Sam?

I'm going to have to look more into the IMS issue, and what the deal is on the 3.4, because the age boxster fulfils a lot of my needs tbh.

No, there's no pic's floating around but they look like lovely wheels (for reps).

Not sure on the 3.4, I'd been browsing PH's and it seems to be the one that's consistently recommended though.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
I prefers the winters, but you knew that already.

I do love this automobile. It looks great everytime I see it / see a photo of it. I'm sure "Catdog" likes going out in it too.

62 posts about wheels ?

I feel the need... the need for neeeeeed.......

Might paint my wheels blue for some attention.

O, wait.

I'm plasticoating mine luminous yellow for Silverstone Classics this year. Because need.

And I am still alive!

Roberto, that Porka is noice.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
No, there's no pic's floating around but they look like lovely wheels (for reps).

Not sure on the 3.4, I'd been browsing PH's and it seems to be the one that's consistently recommended though.

Hmmm, I'll wait for some fitted pics, but that could solve my wheel conundrum nicely, ta Samuel. But then you've gone and fucked my life up by saying the 3.4 is the one.. hmmm once I've got 5 g's sitting in the bank waiting for me to buy something, I'll get serious on the research.

I prefers the winters, but you knew that already.

I do love this automobile. It looks great everytime I see it / see a photo of it. I'm sure "Catdog" likes going out in it too.

Cheers cubbington, funnily enough, dogbert gets car sick (goes all foamy at the mouth) in 99% of cars, but not my one. It also fecking loves top down motoring, just spends the entire trip sniffing the air. LOL

P.s *cough*CV*cough*

62 posts about wheels ?

I feel the need... the need for neeeeeed.......

Might paint my wheels blue for some attention.

O, wait.

The p2p ratio is strong here.

I'm plasticoating mine luminous yellow for Silverstone Classics this year. Because need.

And I am still alive!

Roberto, that Porka is noice.

I love Porsche's, as above, I'll wait til it's a comfortable reality rather than stretch myself at all.

Also, why yellow ffs?

Clio 172
^ He's on the forum, I'm sure Rob will recognise that car. Stunning.

Im sure he will as well, its a very recognisable car. Tom loves it and has spent a hell of a lot of time on it getting it and maintaining it to this level, and I cant blame him, its a bloody stunner.

Jack

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
im looking for another one now the aston has gone, seem to had gone up in price though!

It's true, they're sitting pretty at about 5.5k for a 3.0 now.

Not a fan of the first ones... the silver ones suit it well. :)

Ta J man.

I like both sets, makes a nice change every 6/8 months.

This man gets it.

Z4's have started to grow on me! The other half wants one and I would love her to get one! Friend of mine from uni has a Z4M coupe on CLS's, looks stunning. (Hope he doesn't mind me sharing a link to his flickr... :/)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tomscottphotography/8796904129/in/set-72157632813085142

Some stunning photos in that collection!

Love Tom's car, seem s a nice chap too. The best looking colour combo going.

Clio 172
Yer, Tom is a top guy and he has done a bang up job on the Z4M. His photography skills are next level as well!