ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

winter wheels...why?

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
just wondering why people have winter wheels, have they got winter tyres on, or just an older set so that if you slide into a kerb your not so bothered??

The reason people on the continent do it (IIRC in some countries they have to by law) isn't always to have studded tyres for snow as some people assume. But they also have different compounds of rubber with from memory a higher silicone content, whatever it's made up of it's designed to retain heat and improve grip in lower temperatures. Standard summer tyres that us lot run around on all year only produce about 20% of their grip in temperatures below 5degrees even if its bone dry out on the roads.

Rb 182
I always stick a set of winter wheels on as i dont want to damage my alloys. Also heard that eagles are really bad in the snow!

Lots of Alfas
Another reason why people swap their alloy wheels is to protect them from the grit/salt/mud/wet that could damage them.

Chocolate Bar™
I've never seen the point of it. If you had chrome/highly polished rims fair enough, but when people replace something like a pro race which wont tarnish i think its a bit silly. And as for snow and ice and sliding into kerbs, i personally never have found it a problem on the 2 days a year we have snow ;) I do however see the point in putting winter tyres on, as they can make a big diff

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I noticed a big difference between eagles and winbter tyres in the cold and especially when it snows, which it does up here in Scotland! Didnt really cost extra as irt saved waer on teh eagles

i spent £20 at the weekend on a bucket and sponge plus a bit of elbow greese. Much cheaper than a new set of wheels and tyres.

I put steelies on for a few weeks just because i like the extra accelleration compared to my 17's, and its just refreshing to see it looking different i suppose :)

V6
i used to have a realy shiney black chrome look on my 17s so in winter i had to take them off as salt just ruins them. im just runing sum 172 16s for winter at moment.