ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wireless picking up someone elses access

I have a new laptop with a wireless router and i can see I'm picking up someone elses wireless connection! it says there connection is not secure so even tho its not something i'd do... does this mean someone could hi-jack there computer settings? Luckily mine is secure.

Pissed off with how slow my internet access is!! AOL is hopefully sorting it out.... i cant even use Youtube as it isnt fast enough to run anything! even with broad band... and its a dual core so should be ok on that front.

C-VXR. Once owned a Clio
I have a new laptop with a wireless router and i can see I'm picking up someone elses wireless connection! it says there connection is not secure so even tho its not something i'd do... does this mean someone could hi-jack there computer settings? Luckily mine is secure.

Pissed off with how slow my internet access is!! AOL is hopefully sorting it out.... i cant even use Youtube as it isnt fast enough to run anything! even with broad band... and its a dual core so should be ok on that front.

In short.........Yes!

It's illegal, but yes.

"Someone's lounge window is open - does this mean I can go in and take their TV?" - Yes.. You "could".

i had several problems trying to network my laptop to my pc the other day , kept picking up the bt hub from next door instead of the telewest , most networks are secure .....well most of them :quiet:

Last edited:
  '18 Megane dci
I agree.

I Set up my friends wireless network last week and that discovered 5 'SKY#####' wireless networks as well as their own!

It's illegal, but yes.

"Someone's lounge window is open - does this mean I can go in and take their TV?" - Yes.. You "could".

Thats not really the same. Its more a case of watching the tv from outside..

Both my neighbours have BT home hubs, both with the default password.. Neither are strong enough to connect to tho! :(

Shhh
What you wanna do is run the name of the network though google, it will probably be something like belkin54g, then from there obtain the IP address for the router, then access the router. From here the standard password can be found again using google, or from the router support site, from here you can login to the router, and check the users online.

From there, rename your PC to the name of that there PC, or even better, change the password on the router so when they try to access it, they cant. You could clear the DHS out every now and then, but if the person is not clever enough to setup the router, then im sure they will have no idea that other people are using the network.

What i would do is access the router, get the email address from it, and then either email them telling them the router is unsecure, or go round and tell them if you know them.

From there they will ask for your assistance in doing so, and maybe earn yourself a few beers..

ph1 172...a red one
It's illegal, but yes.

Both my neighbours have BT home hubs, both with the default password.. Neither are strong enough to connect to tho! :(

Sorry buddy, your analogy is wrong. You ARE stealing bandwidth...your example is flawed as watching TV from outside of a window DOESN'T alter or affect the TV transmission, stealing bandwidth DOES!!

This is not the right case, as i can't find a link yet, but you get the idea..

It's illegal, but yes.

Watching TV through someones window isn't illegal.. data communication theft is ;)

Find this when out in the truck, the amount of people out there with unsecured networks is frightening, found 3 in 1 area while parked up the other night.

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
It's illegal, but yes.

but bt hubs "default" passwords are all different and a random collection of numbers and letters, so you aint got no hope of using em anyway unless you can physically see te back of their homehubs.

Audi S3 225
when i first moved into my new house we had to wait a month for sky to sort out our internet, luckily next door have a wireless router and no protection so i used theres for a month. Illegal i no but a month without internet is long!

when i first moved into my new house we had to wait a month for sky to sort out our internet, luckily next door have a wireless router and no protection so i used theres for a month. Illegal i no but a month without internet is long!

lol.. thats kind of funny... (but now i'm hoping mine is as secure as i thought? how can i check mines secure? I'm sure AOL said they set it to be secured) i thought they would have a warning or something on there screen saying they have someone attempting to link to there connection.

It must be the guy next door (or over the road) as its a constant unsecured connection 'DAVE'