ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wireless Problem

Right, got wireless issues with my laptop. Won't connect to the network anymore.

It's always worked fine and now it's just stopped. It can see the wireless connection, but it tries to connect and just fails. Nothing has changed since it last worked. Router is fine as my iPhone connects to it with no problem and PC's work when wired..

IP is static and is what I set it as ages ago.

Any suggestions? :(

installed any new programs recently?

Try upgrading the drivers on your laptop?

can you access the routers config via the default gateway?

Audi S3 225
Have you tried deleting the connection from 'network connections' then let the laptop find it again. Whats the error you get?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Reboot your router. Ensure that the static IP you're setting isn't in conflict with anything else. Ensure that you are using the correct subnet, gateway etc. Delete the connection and retry connecting.

If all that fails do a tcp packet capture of the negotiation process and see where its falling over.

Can't get to the config of the router. Can't remember the login etc. I didn't set it up.

Nothing installed. It's not sharing with anything as I changed the IP to various different things. Subnet/DNS as they always were. I've re-booted it a few times.

Roy/Kermit, how do I do those things?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Find type of router and do a factory reset, that will reset the password to default (make sure you know default password for your router first)

As for packet capturing I use tcpdump but that is linux. Try Wireshark or Ethereal tell it to log tcp packets on the wireless adaptor only then hit connect.

The first thing I would be doing is setting the device TCP/IP properties to 'auto' rather than using a static IP.

BTW it's not unusual for a router to suddenly go loco despite it appearing all ok.

Dynamique Flamer
Sounds really stupid but going to check anyway on my dads old comp there was some sort of switch on the bottom/side and it could turn the wireless reciever off on the laptop

Barge
What router is it? - That might help. Our Livebox is a fucktard sometimes.

Not knowing the password probably won't help, but if you can get into the router controls, I think there's some kind of random http://192.168.1.1 that allows you in... username is usually admin on most, as is the password. At that point, change the password and then reset the box and turn off the laptop and hoy it back on. Then use the windows programme (I can't remember what it's called) to find the connection.

I had same issue a month ago, sony vaio laptop and bt homehub, it would connect with limited connectivity, i ended up switching router off and left it for a minute and it worked fine afterwards

DCi
start -> run -> type cmd, press enter -> type ipconfig, press enter -> write down the 'default gateway' and keep it handy.

get a paper clip and hard reset your router -> go to iexplorer and put in the default gateway -> try 'admin/password' to get in and see if you can set it up to work again.

if you can't do that get an ethernet cable and connect to the login page that way.

if the password doesn't work, google your routers make/model and add 'default password' to the end, there is loads of them on the web.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Set the IP to DHCP. First and formost we need to find out if it connects via that.

Is it XP, Vista, Mac etc the OS?

I would delete the network from the previously remembered networks, then try join it again with the network key.

The obvious passwords don't work and I'm reluctant to reset the router as it's a work one and I'll have to fix everything else and then if I can't, I'm fooked!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
start -> run -> type cmd, press enter -> type ipconfig, press enter -> write down the 'default gateway' and keep it handy.

get a paper clip and hard reset your router -> go to iexplorer and put in the default gateway -> try 'admin/password' to get in and see if you can set it up to work again.

if you can't do that get an ethernet cable and connect to the login page that way.

if the password doesn't work, google your routers make/model and add 'default password' to the end, there is loads of them on the web.

Great advice...

apart from the bit where the router's ip (the gateway) changes because he just did a factory reset and it wasn't left as default.:rolleyes: and then he is left trying to find out the default IP address of his make/model.

See if there's an obvious problem here.. All the same as they were when it was working..

IP - 192.168.2.11
Subnet - 255.255.255.0
Gateway - 192.168.2.1

DNS - 192.168.2.1

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
See if there's an obvious problem here.. All the same as they were when it was working..

IP - 192.168.2.11
Subnet - 255.255.255.0
Gateway - 192.168.2.1

DNS - 192.168.2.1

Why is your DNS server the same as your gateway ? I thought you said it was a router ?

Urrrrm, not sure :eek: I thought it was a router..

I'll have to have a proper look on monday then. It's some Linksys thing.

Using XP..

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Your DNS server will probably either be your own companies or your ISP's. Your gateway will be the routers IP address.

In that case when you try connecting can you ping the router's ip address ?

Fiesta ST
Having a custom DNS server pointing to your gateway won't cause any problems at all. Just passes the DNS requests onto the router's DNS obtained from the ISP.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Only if the Router is capable of dns proxying... which I havent seen in lower end routers.

DCi
apart from the bit where the router's ip (the gateway) changes because he just did a factory reset and it wasn't left as default.:rolleyes: and then he is left trying to find out the default IP address of his make/model.
do you really think that he changed his router IP if he can't fix a simple household router by himself?

let's try and keep a simple problem simple here!

I've never owned a home router that hasn't had the DNS ip the same as the router IP either lol

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
do you really think that he changed his router IP if he can't fix a simple household router by himself?

Considering 192.168.2.0/24 is not a default ip/subnet then err.. yes... and considering doing a factory reset will change that.. err yes again.

Please try and only give advice when you know what you're talking about.

DCi
ok ill butt out but have fun explaining packet capturing when a simple turn everything off and on again will probably work. :D

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Maybe it was a bit bitchy, but I'm trying to give advice and it doesn't help when someone is giving it this and that and clearly it's not their area of expertise.

If a plumbing question came up I wouldn't bother replying as I know I couldn't be of assistance but everyone with a laptop and a cat5 cable seems to think the know the ins and outs of networking lol it's frustrating.

Audi S1
Do the basic unplug n shizzle. This sometimes happens to my laptop.

To change your IP Address to DHCP;

Control Panel
Network Settings
Right click on LAN
Highlight TCP/IP Settings?
Click Properties

In there you want to take note of your Static IP, then change the setting to obtain automatically.

Give that a go, if that does work then could it be WEP security which has been configured within windows?, depends if you have been messing about with all the settings. Seems like the problem lies within the laptop though due to the Iphone connects

DCi
Maybe it was a bit b**chy, but I'm trying to give advice and it doesn't help when someone is giving it this and that and clearly it's not their area of expertise.

you are right that i told him some steps that might confuse him but if he came back it was easy enough to say 'oh yeah my bad that might of happened, put a cable in and get your default gateway back again' but all i was doing was giving some instructions, it's not like i was saying 'this is gospel, much better than anyone elses advice' was it?

but anyway i'm surprised you haven't seen a router with a default ip as 192.168.2.1 out the box... because i have

or that you didn't expect a DNS ip to be the same as the gateway... because that is also common...

but anywho, have fun

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
you are right that i told him some steps that might confuse him but if he came back it was easy enough to say 'oh yeah my bad that might of happened, put a cable in and get your default gateway back again' but all i was doing was giving some instructions, it's not like i was saying 'this is gospel, much better than anyone elses advice' was it?

but anyway i'm surprised you haven't seen a router with a default ip as 192.168.2.1 out the box... because i have

or that you didn't expect a DNS ip to be the same as the gateway... because that is also common...

but anywho, have fun

I deal more with enterprise kit hence not thinking his home router would not have dns forwarding. But no, i can honestly say i've never come across a router with a default ip range or 192.168.2.0/24

A quick google shows you are indeed correct some models like belkin do it.. which is why I probably haven't come across it as I wouldn't touch s**t stuff like Belkin routers.