ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wireless Problem

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Have a look at the network settings on your iPhone and see what the various IP settings are on that.

lol, you guys are so keen to help you're arguing! :D

Snoop, done that. Basically aaaages ago my boss bought a router. Linksys one. I set it all up, got him and the secretary online wired. Wireless for me, but he doesn't know I can get online as I told him the wireless didn't work that far away. Set as default 192.168.1.whatever.

Then we had a new EPOS system installed. Someone else did it, not me. That's when it changed to the 192.168.2.whatever. Copied the settings from the wired comp, changed the static IP and it's been fine for over year. Then last week it stopped.

So I can't do anything major to the router as I won't be able to get it all working again. Although re-setting it and denying all knowledge is a possibility that I'm considering..

Have you actually set it to auto yet, so the router's DHCP server dishes out the IP? It's been explained a few times already.

It may have no affect but it's worth a shot. Sorry if I've missed a post.

DCi
can you get on to the router with another pc and see a list of attached devices?

it will usually give you a list of MAC addresses, to get the MAC address of your PC -

start - run - type cmd - type "ipconfig /all"

I'll give that a try tomorrow.

Roy, yes, set it to auto, that made no difference :(

I was last out and first in, so nobody touched the router.

DCi
i assume you are not the only wireless person there?

only reason i ask is that if you were - someone could have setup a nearby network on same channel and sent yours mad? but if you have other wireless devices working then it's not that.

I am the only wireless, but my iPhone works fine so I don't think its that.

It's obviously something trivial as nobody has touched the router and nothing has changed! It's bugging me! lol..

Barge
Hmmm what's the pc settings? I assume it's the work laptop, dear? Tomorrow make a note of them and post the settings. :)

Edit: if your iPisch works you must have known the password at some point, no?

Settings are back a page or so.

Nope, the details are different. There's a password for the admin of the router but no password the the wireless.

Barge
I saw those. I meant other settings, not just the techy ones. So you're not using a Dongle on the laptop then!? Is it through the Ethernet?

Barge
Aaah! Ok. Ticky box ones. LOL. Does it find the connection through the windows programme?

Well the router usually has to hook up to something like a PC, didn't know whether thos was the case with the laptop - clever cnut -x-

Barge
If you're going to chain me to an ironing board then no, I don't! As much as you'd like me to be one of you biatches.

DMS

A thirsty 172
Delete the stored network connection from the laptop and re-scan see if it sees the wireless network. If so, try reconnecting again. If the SSID is hidden you may have to set the connection up manually.
Failing that, does your laptop work when connected via ethernet? If not, do the following:

Open a command prompt.
Type "netsh int ip reset" without the quotes.
Reboot computer.

Another thing to consider is the wireless software on the laptop. Are you using Windows' Wireless Zero Configuration Utility or is it 3rd party software that controls the wireless connection? If it's third party software, uninstall it and try connecting the normal way (by letting Windows manage the wireless connection).

If none of that works, can you roll back the driver to a previous version? If you've run a custom Windows Update for example, it may have installed a "newer" generic driver over the top of your old one. I've known this to cause random problems no end of times.

If the iPhone works OK then the wireless network is OK, hence the router doesn't need to be touched. If the wired computers work, this further proves the point.
If the computer is configured to automatically acquire an IP address and it still doesn't work, it's still not a DHCP issue otherwise the iPhone wouldn't be working.
The iPhone works, so MAC address filtering is more than likely not enabled.
To me, it sounds like the problem is with the laptop. Try my suggestions above, see if it helps.

If so, I'm owed a beer token:

Insert beer token here

Last edited:
  Barge
Also, what's the security set to on ze lappy toppy? WEP is usually standard. We've had problems before when that magically decides to change to WPA.

DMS

A thirsty 172
I've seen Windows magically "forget" WEP / WPA keys.
The connection will suddenly not work until the key is re-entered.

Delete the stored network connection from the laptop and re-scan see if it sees the wireless network. If so, try reconnecting again. If the SSID is hidden you may have to set the connection up manually.
Failing that, does your laptop work when connected via ethernet? If not, do the following:

Open a command prompt.
Type "netsh int ip reset" without the quotes.
Reboot computer.

Another thing to consider is the wireless software on the laptop. Are you using Windows' Wireless Zero Configuration Utility or is it 3rd party software that controls the wireless connection? If it's third party software, uninstall it and try connecting the normal way (by letting Windows manage the wireless connection).

If none of that works, can you roll back the driver to a previous version? If you've run a custom Windows Update for example, it may have installed a "newer" generic driver over the top of your old one. I've known this to cause random problems no end of times.

If the iPhone works OK then the wireless network is OK, hence the router doesn't need to be touched. If the wired computers work, this further proves the point.
If the computer is configured to automatically acquire an IP address and it still doesn't work, it's still not a DHCP issue otherwise the iPhone wouldn't be working.
The iPhone works, so MAC address filtering is more than likely not enabled.
To me, it sounds like the problem is with the laptop. Try my suggestions above, see if it helps.

If so, I'm owed a beer token:

Insert beer token here

You're a star. Will try tomorrow.

Bex, no passwords etc at all. I stuck one on and tried to connect and it still no worky.

He comes back tomorrow :dapprove:

Nobody (other than me resetting it) has touched the router. So it must be a laptop problem. I've emailed what Darren said to myself so I can read it on my iPhone in the morning! lol..

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
you could just do a tcp packet dump and have this problem tracked down in 5 minutes like I suggested on page 1.. but i'll leave it to the experts with their have you tried turning it off and on again...

Yeah, but how am I going to install that? lol..

It gets stranger today..

Set the IP to auto one last time. Rebooted. Nothing.
Deleted the connection. Rebooted. Tried again. Nothing.
Theres no older driver to rollback to.
Did "Type "netsh int ip reset" without the quotes" but it said it wasn't a valid term or something.

However, there is another couple of networks about. It will connect to those. Obviously I don't know the passwords but typing anything gets you connected..

So now what is the problem? lol..

Not a 320d
On and off again ?

Christ im not reading through 4 pages, but im sure KDF mentioned doing a TCP dump and using wiershark to have a skeg at the packets. Tried doing a reset? Release/renew your ip config ? Update the router firmware and your wireless drivers. Any other pc/craptop you can try ?