ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wiring a shift light in

koksracing

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Hi all,

I have a 182 ktec car and want a shift light on the dash.

I was going to buy the one in the link below, but could someone give me pointers on where I can wire it into to pick up the feed please?

Thanks

Pete

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Itll need to work on the canbus if using oem ecu.

Assuming gen 90 if ktec control car you may have an rpm feed that will work.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Itll need to work on the canbus if using oem ecu.

Assuming gen 90 if ktec control car you may have an rpm feed that will work.
Brigsy I think this is literally just an LED with nothing else smart, supposed to plug into an output on a stack gauge. If he has a gen90 I assume that could have a programmable output to drive any old light.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Brigsy I think this is literally just an LED with nothing else smart, supposed to plug into an output on a stack gauge. If he has a gen90 I assume that could have a programmable output to drive any old light.
If it's literally just an LED, which it looks like it is, then that price is absolutely f**king shocking!

Send it back and buy any bulkhead mounted LED off eBay for about 2 quid

koksracing

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Yeah it is a rip off - 100% right

Pretty sure that the gen 90 ecu is that locked down it won’t give me even an rpm output but will ask ktec

Thanks

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Yeah it is a rip off - 100% right

Pretty sure that the gen 90 ecu is that locked down it won’t give me even an rpm output but will ask ktec

Thanks
Does it not give a switched 12v or a switched ground at a certain RPM that can be set on the ECU?

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Depends what LED you choose,

Say you use this one which has a 2V forward voltage, max 30mA:

Easiest to use one of the many online calcs:

Gives a resistor value of 400ohms. But its a bright LED, better option is to run it at half current and see how bright it is so an 800 ohm resistor, an even fancier way would be to run a 400ohm resistor with a 1k adjustable resistor in series so you could change the brightness to suit.

With 15mA and forward voltage of 2V the calculator states that you need an 800ohm resistor and that resistor will dissipate 0.18watts - so a standard 1/4 watt axial resistor will be just fine.

OP - Holder for LED:

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Indeed it would fit my stack dash. I was going to fit one but spent an horrendous amount of money on the sequential one instead, brighter than the sun in daytime mode