ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wiring tools

Just bought a multimetre, loads of heat shrink and gauge cutters. Have a solder iron but its a bit old, what does everyone recommend? Also crimping tools. Would spend 50 quid max on both.

Anything else Ill need?

@bloke I want to make my own wheel switch panel with indicators, light flash, horn etc.. Will I have to wire from inside the stalks (circuit boards)?
Also whats the difference between these?

@bloke I want to make my own wheel switch panel with indicators, light flash, horn etc.. Will I have to wire from inside the stalks (circuit boards)?
Also whats the difference between these?

I'm going to be doing the same. I will just be extending the signal cables from the loom to the push buttons and then the other side of the push button to earth.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Just get the basics, if you're not rewiring some f*****s house then just spend what you need, just dont stop as low as buying chinese s**t and always buy 5 more than you need. You'll drop 2 parts and then you'll crimp 1 of em without the wire in like a spacker😂

Lad at work just spent £900 on a new hydraulic crimping tool🤢😂 Doesnt even come with the dies for it either!! Hefty but of kit but it will crimp 400mm armoured cable😂

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I do tons of car wiring and there isn't much you can't do with 3mm heat shrink, solder and decent wire strippers.
I got something similar to the Knipex one but from lidl for a few quid and it's been a brilliant tool. My soldering iron is also from there, 48W and it does some pretty meaty cables. I've also got those automatic type strippers like Dan linked too and some other older ones which are top notch.
I would recommend a depinning tool for automotive connectors, doing heat shrink with a heat gun, not lighter.
Crimping tools are nice but soldering will sort you more times than crimping, unless you work a lot with new terminals, which most people probably don't.
Get a helping hand or some wiring pliers to hold wires together when soldering.