ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wobble and jerk when braking

Giulietta 940
A couple of months ago I noticed my car would wobble when braking gently on the motorway. I didn't pay any attention to it at the time, and it seemed fine from then on.

Today when slowing down on the motorway I noticed a slight wobble again. It then promptly disappeared again. When I got into town and used the brakes the car seemed to jerk back and forth slightly. Again this disappeared after a little while.

I had both front and back discs and pads replaced in June 2009, or thereabouts.

I've looked around this forum, and others online, and the main suggestion seems to be warped discs? Obviously I don't expect anyone to tell me what it is exactly, I'd just like ideas on what it could be. Unfortunately I anticipate a very expensive problem :(

Just to let you know, I'm a complete noob when it comes to cars. Many thanks for your patience, and help, in advance.

Warped discs, Tracking out?, Buckled wheel (a lot of pot holes about) but then at high speed it would wobble so probs unlikely, Burnt pad material on the disc a possibility as well? Or could be pads f'cked already?

Either get it to a garage for a look, Or get the wheels off for a quick look.

Giulietta 940
Thanks for the quick reply.

I had my tracking done a month ago (potholes are a nightmare around Clacton) and the steering feels fine, and when braking it doesn't pull. I checked the alloys and tyres quickly after driving it today, and they seem fine. I'll have a look at the discs tomorrow morning.

The brakes seem to work well still (well, you know what I mean) so do you reckon it'd be okay to drive still for a couple of days?

I would get it checked out as soon as you can, Brakes are obviously an important part of the car, But as long as your not motorway driving and dont do any fast driving should be ok, If its only wobbling.

Giulietta 940
Oh :( I've driven back down to London for the night, and was going to go back to Essex tomorrow afternoon. I'll give it a spin in the morning and see how it feels. Either way I'll be taking it to the garage in the next couple of days.

Thanks for your help.

Giulietta 940
Just had a look at my discs and the nearside front brake disc seems to have some scoring near the centre. I presume this would mean I need new brake pads? And presumably a new disc?

RS200 Cup
Could well be a bent wheel, on one of the pool cars at work there is a bent wheel, you can't see it until you put a tracking jig on it which subsequently doesn't fit. It produces some shaking/wobbling when driving at high speed (somewhere between 60~100 mph shall we say) and a shake when braking above 50mph.

Edit: Try swapping front-rear wheels around, if it (dis)intensifies, you know where you stand.