ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Won't go more than 5.5k revs

MK2 172 FF
As title really, only had the car a day. on the way home from picking it up i took the car through the revs to the 7 ish k limiter in every gear once to check it was ok. Now it wont go more than 5.5k in any gear.
It gets to 5.5k and then it seems to miss fire and loose power, then slowly creep to 7k
Any ideas?

Focus ST
Mark!!!

When was the last service on it?

Mine has a pretty strong "kick" when it hits 5k and goes to around 6.8k

MK2 172 FF
TUPPS!!!!

Last serviced in October, the oil is really really clean as it the brake fluid. Took the air filter out today and gave it a clean but thats all ive had time to do.

any ideas Ian?

Focus ST
Needs lowering on vts wheels!

I have no idea mate, i'm sure one of the clio buffs on here will know what it is

oVerboost.

South West
ClioSport Area Rep
  Clio 182 LY
Firstly check all your leads are connected properly and nothing has come loose or unplugged in the engine bay. Are there any warning lights on?

May also be a temperature issue, is the gauge working correctly? Where is it sitting when warmed up?

MK2 172 FF
checked all connections this afternoon when i checked the air filter and nothing was/is loose
no warning lights
temp gauge is working and goes to just above half when im giving it some beans but when driving normally it just under half.

oVerboost.

South West
ClioSport Area Rep
  Clio 182 LY
Try disconnecting the battery and re-setting the cars ECU etc might be worth a try...

RB FF 182
Maybe not this but happened to me on a different car... Is the exhaust system ok? I had an extremely badly corroded back box on an older car of mine.

Car used to drive fine then one day on motorwayi couldn't get above 4/5k rpm. Took it to a garage and they stuck a new back box on!! Good as new!

Bit of a long shot but I thought it was worth a post!

oVerboost.

South West
ClioSport Area Rep
  Clio 182 LY
Yeah, might also be worth considering a partially blocked exhaust/catalyst was there any change in engine noise when the car stopped revving higher? Does the car idle correctly? Maybe the timing has slipped a tooth?

RB FF 182
Just to add to my post. When I hit the power band in my car you could feel it hesitate. Kinda like a misfire... Worth a look :)

MK2 172 FF
Try disconnecting the battery and re-setting the cars ECU etc might be worth a try...

done and didnt make a difference

Maybe not this but happened to me on a different car... Is the exhaust system ok? I had an extremely badly corroded back box on an older car of mine.

Car used to drive fine then one day on motorwayi couldn't get above 4/5k rpm. Took it to a garage and they stuck a new back box on!! Good as new!

Bit of a long shot but I thought it was worth a post!

exhaust is in good nick G

Yeah, might also be worth considering a partially blocked exhaust/catalyst was there any change in engine noise when the car stopped revving higher? Does the car idle correctly? Maybe the timing has slipped a tooth?

the engine sounds like it has hit the limiter and im forcing it past it

172 Cup & Clio dci Van
remove the sensor that counts the revolutions of the flywheel think its called the tdc sensor.

clean it and re fit it. i did this on someones for them, then disconnect battery for 20mins to reset reconnect, warm up the car and then see what happens! the car i done it on was fine.

172 Cup & Clio dci Van
%7B29268D0F-E9B3-4973-B600-ED734F0E8C30%7D.jpg

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/_Use...g/{29268D0F-E9B3-4973-B600-ED734F0E8C30}.jpeg

MK2 172 FF
is it easy to get to, cant really tell where it is from that pic
would this show on a diagnostic dave? just had one and nothing cam up.

clio 172 cup
I have the same problem with my 172. Will rev fine upto around 5.5k but seems very laboured after that until limiter. Although ive notices if i hold the revs and let it go upto limiter there doesnt seem to be a missfire, its just when you floor it i get the missfire after 5.5k.. been doing it for a while now but i cant seem to figure out what is caulsing it. Ive changed plugs and leads so was gonna try swapping coil pack next. .

172 Cup & Clio dci Van
It's underneath the airbox and its above the gear box flywheel

you need a 10mm socket or spanner to undo two bolts at either end

clean the little metal bit on the end of the sensro carefully.

MK2 172 FF
I have the same problem with my 172. Will rev fine upto around 5.5k but seems very laboured after that until limiter. Although ive notices if i hold the revs and let it go upto limiter there doesnt seem to be a missfire, its just when you floor it i get the missfire after 5.5k.. been doing it for a while now but i cant seem to figure out what is caulsing it. Ive changed plugs and leads so was gonna try swapping coil pack next. .

sounds like the same problem as me

It's underneath the airbox and its above the gear box flywheel

you need a 10mm socket or spanner to undo two bolts at either end

clean the little metal bit on the end of the sensro carefully.

all done and clean dave but made no difference.

nothing shown on a diagnostic test so its going in next week for a dyno run to see whats going on. This "cheap buy" isnt looking so cheap now lol

172 Cup & Clio dci Van
sounds like the same problem as me

all done and clean dave but made no difference.

nothing shown on a diagnostic test so its going in next week for a dyno run to see whats going on. This "cheap buy" isnt looking so cheap now lol

hmm, next i would say change over your coolant sensor.

No lights on the dash?

you def reset the ecu properly?

the other diagnostic check you can do is to put the keys in the ignition, hold down the trip computer button and turn keys round (but now turning over the engine)

Your dials should start bleeping loads and going crazy whilst its checking,

now release the button on the trip computer stalk and press the button until you see hopefully something which will look like this

- - - -

it may be something like - t - - which indicates a fault.
The codes for this can be looked up on here by doing a search, it may help you to diagnose it yourself without going to the stealers.

5 gt turbo Raider & 172
Again had this problem, was told it was a burnt valve causing it.this is why i bought it cheap,

If you creep upto 5k it passes...floor it and it feels like your at the limiter at 5k

After another issue i had with a big misfire i changed the plugs leads and coolant temp sender

Its been a feww weeks now and ive been past 5k plenty of times faultless

what plugs are in situ, i found some rubbish quad tipped ones...which went straight to the bin

MK2 172 FF
the t means injector fault for more then 4 secs and the h is a oil sensor. from what ive read the h is nothing to worry about.

I would have thought that the t (injector) would have shown on the quick diagnostic though

MK2 172 FF
UPDATE

So its been on the rollers today and have been told that mechanically its sound but the readout its showing that the cruise control is kicking in at just after 5k. Yes the cruise control that i haven't got, that was the best way to describe it. So the brake pedal switch is going to be replace on Wednesday when Renault get it in and then its going on the dyno again after a reset to see if thats cured it. not guarantee it will work so fingers crossed

MK2 172 FF
i haven't.

Still owe the mechanic for the work he has done already but not had the time or money to go back down. I was planning on buying an RS Tuner and remapping to see if this fixed it but the sale of me buying one from another member has just fallen through.

Can you shed any light on it?