ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Won't Start/Black Smoke

Clio dCi 100
Hi,

I posted a week ago saying my 04 1.5dci was lacking power. Well this week (while I was away) the car died on the missus. AA took her to Renault dealer saying possible fuel pump problem. Renault did a diagnostics test which came up as glow plug fault but recorded on the work ticket saying that this would not cause rough running or black smoke. Missus drove the car back from Renault but the next day it would not start.

I've managed to start the car, after it turning over for a while, but it will idle very very roughly for 5 seconds or so before stalling. When the car is running there is a fair amaount of black smoke coming from the engine.

SO two things:

1. Any ideas about what the hell is wrong?

2. Have I any comeback with Renault as they said there was nothing wrong, it was probably her driving style and to stop panicing!!!

Oh there is a 'thing' on the right hand side of the engine with a grey cover. It has two electrical wires on the top & two hoses to the bottom of it. It is making quite a humming noise which I have noticed before but not this loud. Any ideas what it is and could this be contributing to the problem?

Thanks,
Andy

Clio dCi 100
Anyone??? I've taken it to an independant garage who are now saying that it may have to go back to Renault as they can't get the car running for long enough to diagnose the fault!!!

Ph1 172 & meg 225 lu
we have the same problem with our navara and nissan couldnt find the problem
i think its a loss in fuel pressure on ours but yours may be a different problem

clio 172
sounds like fuel injection pump problem to me. could it possible be the injection pump thats making the noise? i cant say iv seen under the bonnet on one of these so duno the position of this on these engines sory