ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Won't start/takes forever to start/sometimes fine/starts then cuts out

Hey

So on Thursday evening after work, I fitted some new door speakers in my 5dr 1999 Mk2 Ph1 Clio, I had to cut the connectors off and solder the new cable + connector to it, then attach it to the connectors on the new speakers, these were all done correctly (positive to positive, negative to negative) or at least I'm 99% sure of it.
So anyway, car was idle in the driveway, had music on testing each speaker and then once they were all connected and fixed in place I put some music back on and tested with my headunit settings to get them sounding perfect.
Later in the evening I went to go out and the car wouldnt start, so I had my dad jump start it - went for a drive with just the radio on but after 15mins I had to put my lights on since it was getting too dark, this didn't really give the battery a good charge.

Then Friday morning before work I fitted some new side repeaters and tested them briefly, all was fine, car started went to work, car struggled to start but started after a couple of tries, then I came home from work.
Saturday morning the car started fine and I went to work for 9 hours, only put the car in neutral during the day to open/close my windows during breaks when I sat in the car, then when I went to leave work after 9 hours the car took a good few attempts to start, once it got started I put my belt on and made sure I got home haha.
Sunday morning, all was fine, 9 hrs at work again, left work all was fine.
Monday morning (today), all was fine went to work, been at work for 9hrs again, just went to come home and it really struggled to start, it would sometimes start and then cut out after a few seconds with the dot between stop & serv flashing like crazy, or it just wouldnt start.
Finally after many tries it started and I got home asap.
Tried starting it in my drive after turning the car off and again it won't start or starts and cuts out with the light flashing.

So yeah, if you've read all that and can give me any idea as to what might be causing this, I would greatly appreciate it!

I'm wondering if it's just the battery being old (my dad thinks it was changed 3 years ago, since this car used to be my mums, mum has no clue, and the service papers don't say anything) and due to me flattening it twice and now adding decent speakers etc, or if it's something else :S
Maybe dodgy alternator?

Okay so I tested the battery with a multimeter, seems kinda low, managed to start the car and test it again and it was fine; so the alternator is fine as far as I'm aware.
Guessing it's just the battery after all, charging it over night with a wall charger thing my dad has. Going to order a new battery via renparts, hopefully sort it!
Just a coincidence with the new speakers I hope.

After a really hectic day trying to sort this, turns out it's the immobiliser being a f**king b**ch. Used my spare key and it worked fine.. after all that.

Spent a good hour or so with my friend in this heat pushing the car around trying to jump start it so we could get it to the garage and not have to pay the call out fee, only to be told it's the immobiliser when we got it there, haha. Good work out though!

Going to have to buy a new key so I've got a working spare, greaaaaat.