ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

WORRYING NOISES

Clio 172 Mk2

Recently started making regular long distance journeys (London - Liverpool) and have noticed that Im getting a howling noise above 70mph. Im not sure what it can be, but it may be possible that its due to the tyres (no sound at all below this speed). I didnt have these noises on the Toyos I had prior, but then I wasnt doing much motorway driving either!

Now.. pulling away from a mates house, I did a slow U-turn - full lock to the right. And Ive noticed a very quiet but distinct rubbing-grinding noise. It kinda pulsates as the wheel rotates - clearly noticable when moving the car at walking pace. It quietens once off full lock (may still be there but might be very quiet).

Any ideas?:confused:

Clio 172 Mk2

Oh sh*t... that noise is getting a little worse at parking speeds!

On full lock to the right at parking speed Im getting those grinding noises... and it sounds like crunching/ticking... am beginning to suspect a CV joint!!! Not noisy yet.. but I suspect these things deterioate pretty quick!

Car OK on motorway.. but does howl a little at 80mph or so.

Dear oh dear... im suspecting some major money here!

Has anybody else had a CV joint changed on a 172... and how much did it cost??? :confused:

Quote: Originally posted by biglunn on 13 November 2004

Car OK on motorway.. but does howl a little at 80mph or so.
There is quite an easy answer to this problem........................................

Keep the speed under 70 m.p.h.;)

But seriously it could be your CV Joint...is the rubber boot split?

[Edited by Red Clio 52 on 13 November 2004 at 10:25am]

does sound like a CV joint from what youve described but as to the cost id be guessing fella. im pretty sure someone on here will know. either that or a quick call to renault to find out

Yaris Hybrid

My Clio seems to make irritating noises at any speed.

As soon as you pull away there is the over run knock when lifting off the thottle.

At 40 the windscreen heater vent rattle starts up.

At around 4000rpm a nasty noise starts that could be induction noise but could be a vibration or rattle its hard to tell.

Then at 80mph the mirror whistle starts. The most bizarre thing about this is that last Friday night I had no mirror whistle even when going over 100mph. Yet yesterday just 7 days later I now have the mirror whistle! How the hell does that work?

900 miles on the clock by the way! I am so glad I didnt pay the full 15k for this car otherwise I would feel really sick.

my clios is making funny noises, theres a knocking noise comming from the front passenger side wen turning , an the front drivers side makes a while crunch, bang went turning left. was thinking the cv joint is going on my car but aint to sure, last time at renault they said i needed a drive boot

Toypop - Im not an expert and didnt even know where the famous whistle came from till reading posts on here a while back but...

Mirror whistle on mine occurs only when climate switched off or when switched to recirculate, as you said 80mph + hope that helps?

sorry if im stating the obvious