ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Worth Buying Brand New?

Hello all!

As i have said on a previous post, im looking to branch out into a RS.

Anyway, i had my heart set on a Racing Blue 182, but seeing all these cracking 197s it has made me wonder - is it worth buying brand new?

Obviously i dont have a spare £14k sat about, but i do have a well paid job so its something i have thought about before.

Anyway, do people think its worth it, im not bothered about depreciation etc, im just wondering if its something that is worth looking into.
Also if anyone is aware of any deals Renault are offering at the mo (other than the website ones) it would be much appriciated if you could let me know!

Many thanks :cool:

clio 182
If you want a 197, why not get a used one plenty out there get a 6 month one or so there'll be quite a saving on new, with regards to depreciation a 15k motor within 3 years will shead about £7-£10k and which any way you look at that its lots of money, buy used save quite a bit (or money to fast/shiny bits)!!! thats just my opp'

2008 Albi 197
Definately get one with a few thousand miles on the clock, you'll save a fortune and won;t be far off a brand new one if its been looked after

Was a 197
baring in mind that no RS's are being produced at the moment in dieppe as the factory is on break while all the machines are serviced. So if you go new then it'll be something showroom quality and not being sat outside at a dock. But, that could limit your specs.

On the other hand you could go for one up to a year old, but make sure that it has the updated ECU as this helps with low end torque and a few other things. If u wanna test drive a dealer would be your best bet, something that has a bit of mileage on the clock so the engine is broken in.

I've just paid £14.5k for a 197 with cup pack (£400), metallic paint (£375) and automatic wipers & lights (£150), would have been £17k if bought with no discounts. If you can afford to buy the vehicle from the garage outright, this will get you your best price for it. Doing it this way would mean a loan from somewhere else, the APR's you can get ATM are pretty decent.

But then again, you gotta decide which way you wanna go!!!

I've done my bit for the economy in this country and keeping renault in business. Pepole have to buy cars news so then they can be bought used!!!

Clio 172 mk2
I wouldn't personally buy brand new

Some really good 1/2 year old 197s on the market....reckon privately there could be some real bargains around

It would be nice to have a brand new car just the once, even if I won the lottery I couldn't bare to lose that much in depreciation. It would have to be a cracking deal.

Last edited:
The 197 is a great car from the front but god dam that back is awful looking
I'd have the 182 cup...

Also look at some of the Seat Ibiza's for that cashflow

172cup
I ve been considering a 197 but rumours are that there maybe a special edition on the way at the end of the year. But if you can get a 197 cup for 12k with a fiance rate of 5% I d get one or get a meg r26 but bank loans are crazy at the moment about 10% or above. Might be worth waiting a few months to see if the interest rate drops, the moves that the gov are doing at the minute is to try and encourage banks to lend again at a low rate. Might be worth waiting. Plus when the facelifted 197 comes on the second hand 197s may drop in residuals.

Renaultsport 200
If I was buying another 197 there isn't a chance I'd get a brand new one. Mine has 12k on it now and the engine is far better than it was when it was new.

ross_16v

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I've been looking into getting a brand new 197 cup at the moment. The best deal I've found so far is 13k + options (recaros, black speedline wheels and air con).

I just can't seem to shake the thought of how much money I'd lose on a brand new car though!

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I've been looking into getting a brand new 197 cup at the moment. The best deal I've found so far is 13k + options (recaros, black speedline wheels and air con).

I just can't seem to shake the thought of how much money I'd lose on a brand new car though!

Depends on how long you want to keep it really.