ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Worth getting winter tyres...

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
I'm tying to work out if there is much point in me getting Winter tyres... We don't really get alot of snow round here tbh..

Monday-Friday I'l do 10Miles at the most, as I live where I work so don't really travel...

Friday night-Sunday I'm usually over at Newcastle, seeing the Missus at uni.. 85miles there 85 Back. During those days the car doesn't really move...

Now the miles will go up during xmas, with taking gifts and what have you to family, other than that it probably wont move much..

So will it be worth it?

If I was to get a set how long will they last in storage, I don't want to buy some then hardly use them, then store them away to just perish..

Tunst.

Yes IMO. Im a further north than you but still south of aberdeen and it go cold here. Honestly I was going places that volvo's and land rovers could get to purely because of my tyres. It also saves the wear on your summer tyres so they only wear half as much. You can go through some decent sized puddles and not aqua plane with winter tyres too.

I had this conversation with my brother last year as I do about 300-350 miles a week and I was like you might be fine 90% of the time but if its snowing you get stuck or worse then you would have paid anything for it not to have happened and £400 on winter tyres. But if you dont get much snow or rain then maybe go for some rainsports or sportracs?

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
just lower the pressure a touch when it snows.. winter tyres can only help to some extent.. there not miracle workers

DB.

BMW 440i
If money is no object, i would.

If not and you would rather buy something like an iPad with the money, i would rather do that.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
just lower the pressure a touch when it snows.. winter tyres can only help to some extent.. there not miracle workers

I look forward to hearing how you get on in the snow on your summer tyres with less air in them.
I mean it's so simple it's genius! Best get on to all these tyre manufacturers and tell them they are wasting their time developing these winter tyres.

E11OOT

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 6/Ph1 v6/R34
If you can justify spending the money they sure why not, you will be safer on the roads as a result. But last winter I drove around in the worst of the conditions on normal summer rubber and didn't have a problem.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
I think we've all been there in terms of attempting to muddle through when its snows. God knows i have. I've had two journeys where i was caught out in the snow on summer tyres.
Both are normally hour long trips. One took over 4 hours and the other nearly 7. Most of the delays were simply traffic related i.e stranded cars. The rest was attempting to coax a very unwilling car along untreated roads.....so yeah, you can manage but its a pain in the balls.

I ran my 106 derv on snow tyres through two snowy winters and i can safely say they are simply brilliant. Granted narrow winter tyres (165/70/13) are the ultimate snow biters but to be honest ANY winter tyre will knock all summer tyres into touch when it comes to traction in the snow and on cold wet roads.

182 cup
If the amount of snow that you get in your area isn't that much, I would consider a set off all season tyres instead (like say the vredesein quatrac3).
Decent snow ability, with lees of a compromise when dry. They work very well for the bulk of Uk's wintery conditions and well as when it goes get a bit warmer.

172, Tiguan
I've bought a set of cheap wheels and 4 new snow tyres through Camskill. It's all in the vain hope i'll be able to get the BMW off of the driveway!

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
I've bought a set of cheap wheels and 4 new snow tyres through Camskill. It's all in the vain hope i'll be able to get the BMW off of the driveway!

I've done the same for my BMW. For any doubter's out there just read any comparison test between summer/winter tyres and see the results, and no they're not just for snow WINTER TYRES they are for all s**tty conditions. Temperature needs to drop a bit before mine go on though.

These people who say I've never been stuck/learn how to drive properly - well I've never been stuck either, and thought winter tyres would only help that continue and make driving safer as well.

Audi A3
Why would you want to go out in the snow? Stay at home, or walk.

+1

ive never changed tyres myself and used to do a fair few miles in a 325 through the winter snow and was fine. saying that id imagine should anything of happened winter tyres would of been a massive help.

i dont intend getting winter tyres as ill always try not to go out if its unsafe and if i do ill be driving like a tortoise on treated roads.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
I do await the first thread from some pleb titled ' Jus bent me Cup in da sno givin it da beans off da local roundabout. Waz on ma winter tyrez and dey still spun up in ferd, yo'

Clio 172
I have never bothered with winter tyres. I managed last winter on my rainsport 2's no problem. However I can see the benefit of winter tyres with people who have to do alot of miles and live where theres guaranteed to be loads of snow

CBR1K, F21 125D
I have two sets of wheels for the MX5hed - One with Hankook RS2' and one with Michy snow tyres for the lols.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
I think im going to grab a set of steels and some winter tyres.. They get more snow in the NE than here so might be worth it just for that...

05 182 clio.ktm duke
I have a 2nd set of wheels with winter/snow tyres for my citroen dispatch van, best thing I ever did. They will still slide about if you drive like a knob, but take it easy and they have never let me down. I have even used my van in the snow to pull out at car who thought he could go anywhere beacause he drove a range rover.

BG 182 FF
Had them on previous cars and the 182 will be rollin' on some 15" steelies with them on too this winter.

You don't need them, but once you've tried them you'll not want summer tyres in the winter again.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
I have that much confidence in Winter tyres I intend to run my MX5 on them all winter even with it's open diff.. Honest

(And I also have some for the Clio ;) )

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
How long will they last roughly? Once i remove them from the car and put them in the shed.. will they perish fast or will I get next year out of them too?

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
It's hard to find any decent reviews I find of each of the options of tyres out there - is a s**t winter budget tyre still better than a premium summer tyre?

535d / t5 caravelle
It's hard to find any decent reviews I find of each of the options of tyres out there - is a s**t winter budget tyre still better than a premium summer tyre?

get some 15" steelies, oh wait i have your old 15" steelies on my car ;) 50 quid a corner for decent winter tyres mate

I'd be hear how long they last when stored as well.

My gf already has a spare set for her mx5 and I wouldn't mind actually chucking some on my 16's now I have v12s on the 15" wheels....