ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Worth the cost?

Westfield, 182, 200
I've inherited the wife's 182 (she now has a 200).
It has 134k on the clock and is a month overdue a cam belt.
Car is worth £1k.
If the belt snapped it would be worth £500 tops in parts. New belt etc would be £600.
How much would the car be worth if I sold it and is it worth the cost?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
How much would the car be worth if I sold it and is it worth the cost?

£1000 less the £600 bill ?!

Is it tidy or a shed ? Would you care / be left walking 3 hours to work if it snapped ?

Are you handy / Got any handy mates..? New (second hand) engines are about £2-300 if it went bang and you wanted to keep it.

Otherwise assuming ok condition, you'd get at least £500 for bits if you broke the car.. wheels, brakes, suspension, trim, doors etc...

Westfield, 182, 200
Sorry, what I was trying to work out is if I spend £600 having the belts done, would it be worth much more that it's current value of £1000.
The car isn't mint, but it's certainly not a pup.

Rusty Cup
I was in a similar position. After a lot of thinking decided to do the cambelt myself. Couldnt justify giving a garage that much money for a car worth so little. Was a learning curve but all the info needed to complete the task is available on this site.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Sorry, what I was trying to work out is if I spend £600 having the belts done, would it be worth much more that it's current value of £1000.
The car isn't mint, but it's certainly not a pup.
In short no, if you spent £600 on a cam belt service your £1000 Clio would be worth around £1300, you may get £1500 at a push but not on here.

If you plan on keeping it as a toy then get the belts done and have some fun blasting about for a year or two, if not sell it as is and get your £1000, tbh i'd stick a £1200 price tag on it and see what happens, if it runs and drives and will pass an mot you'll get £1200 all day long.

Same boat, bought my daily for a grand. 2002, 172 on 119k, bent sills, rusty arches/petrol cap, scuffs on bumpers, ripped drivers seat etc

Absolutely no idea when belts were done but just throwing the dice on it. It’s a sound Daily but it doesn’t get any love, if it does snap I’ll break it for the grand it owes me. No point me spending £500 for belts on it

monaco 172
Same boat, bought my daily for a grand. 2002, 172 on 119k, bent sills, rusty arches/petrol cap, scuffs on bumpers, ripped drivers seat etc

Absolutely no idea when belts were done but just throwing the dice on it. It’s a sound Daily but it doesn’t get any love, if it does snap I’ll break it for the grand it owes me. No point me spending £500 for belts on it
I'm in the exact same boat. Contemplating doing it myself but even parts and locking tools will cost me the best part of 300 notes.

Part of me is thinking just drive it till it dies, but then I think why not do the work and it's done then. I'll not get another decent car with 300 quid so why not spend it on this one.