ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Would a 172 Cup be devalued...

S3, Polo
...by fitting 182 Seats?

Let me begin by stating that my Cup is primarily my daily drive, that will occasionally be used for track days (2 x p.a. - max.). I have the Elise for that :) hence, buckets were not an option.

I was considering buckets, but my indecision about them was made up by a thread on here about people modding the hell out of their car, then selling it because they hadn't been realistic about the effects of the mods on the car. I for one, don't need to compromise my road car for kudos/ impressing teenage girls/ whatever! :)

I also considered Trendlines, but found them to be only marginally better than stanadard seats! Shocker... :S

I'm not a fan of modifying for looks. Modifications - for me - have to be functional (lighter wheels, coilovers, etc.) to be credible.

Before I bought the Cup I remember discounting one Cup, based on the fact someone had fitted parts from another RS (good job really - said car had been fitted with standard 172 alloys!) to 'enhance it. :eek: :nono: :dead:

The standard Cup seats have such shocking lumbar support that I had to do something about it. I've been getting a bad lower back every time I drive the car. New Cup seats (with sub 4k miles on) didn't solve the problem either - it seems the seats themselves are just of a poor design?

Now, I realise they are the same seat (essentially) but the lack of lumbar support appears to be disguised by the 182 seats I've just fitted.

So the point is, when I come to sell the car, do I flog it with the 182 seats or store the Cup seats and sell it as standard?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Why not just keep the standard 172 Cup cloth seats then come sale time (if that happens) you can always sell the cup as an 'original' and also make money back on the half leather 182 seats?

Do it then when you come to sell it source a cup interior (they are cheap) or just keep your interior in storage.

Ph1
182 seats in a Cup = Big girls blouse Cup ;)

mug-big-girls-blouse.jpg

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I wouldn't buy one with 182 seats in. Just keep them then refit come sale time?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Nor me. There is no benifit though, i regulary jump between a 182 and my 172 Cup and there is next to no difference.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I was quite excited at the prospect of leather in my 182, and i get comments about it when people get in the car too.

But now i have it i fail to see the point, what are the advantages of leather? No different to my dynamique seats when i'm driving, except sometimes its cold on my arm when i get in on a morning.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Its w**k tbh. I prefered the fabric Recaors in my 197. Leather, (renault plastic ;)) cold in the winter, hot in the summer. Fail.

Mondeo TDCI 130
Its w**k tbh. I prefered the fabric Recaors in my 197. Leather, (renault plastic ;)) cold in the winter, hot in the summer. Fail.

How DARE you? Renault leather not real?! You not seen the best cow they use on the steering wheels!?:rasp:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
exactly!!!

Even the Trophy items are not leather...... shhhhhh!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Meh, could have, but done it for a healthy addition to the savings ;)

Back to basics, but they are better for it. Weapon tbh.

;)

330 Ci
If your getting back ache with your 172 seats i wouldn't swap for 182 seats.. they're exactly the same (as said above)! I get lower back ache with my seats (182) too, the lower back support on thems shiiit!

Suprised about your trendline comment - i found 'em allot more supportive then the standard seats!

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I'm only pulling your leg. I have seen those 197s are thirsty little buggers!!!

How come you were selling the stealth then if you just got another cup? Old bits left over or just going standard?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Stealth is off the cup, never been a fan of them tbh. Standard with decat works best for me. (i'm a pussy and hate noise) ;)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
If poor 'posture' is your main issue instead of swapping seats why not buy a CG-Lock?

I had a serious back problem a few years back, and driving was just about bearable so long as I had the CG-Lock fitted.

Since I then ripped the standard belts/seat out of my Cup the CG-Lock's now moved across to my Focus where it sees daily service.

Give one a try.

Never above 25mpg
I also considered Trendlines, but found them to be only marginally better than stanadard seats! Shocker... :S

That's no shocker lol. Makes you wonder why they're so overpriced!! ;)

Surely buckets with proper support would be a good option?

ITB'd MK1
If poor 'posture' is your main issue instead of swapping seats why not buy a CG-Lock?

I had a serious back problem a few years back, and driving was just about bearable so long as I had the CG-Lock fitted.

Since I then ripped the standard belts/seat out of my Cup the CG-Lock's now moved across to my Focus where it sees daily service.

Give one a try.

those things that clip on the standard belt? they make me so angry. How to ruin your in car safety system in one easy step

S3, Polo
I appreciate the comments about the seats being the same, but I have noticed a difference between the cloth and the leather seats. Maybe it's a placebo effect, but the leather seats *seem* more taut and supportive. Perhaps because they are nearly new!

Maybe I am clutching at straws in my desperation to not have a bad back? I'm going to give them a few weeks before my mind is made up about if I should keep them or replace them...

Though, if I decide to replace them, what do I replace them with? :( With Christmas rapidly approaching, I'd struggle to justify (to the wife) the fat end of £1k on seats! Let alone the fact that they would be a quarter of the value of the entire car! :eek:

Surely buckets with proper support would be a good option?

Hmmmm, maybe - But surely that would be compromising my daily? And it would probably involve being a contortionist (lean, hand on sill, hand on wheel, lift arse, inner leg out and roll) to get in and out every day?

With having to do that in the Elise, I can't bring myself to do that in my Clio...

Ph1
Cups dont have lumbar support??, the 172 FF's and the 182's do so technically your right you might find the 182 seats better if lack of lumbar support is the issue, maybe??

Reclining aftermarket buckets would be better tho imo