ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Would a . .

hey im gettin my Renault 1.4rt soon and my mate was going to get the same, but hes dad has managed to get him an old (ha) Rover 214i 1.4 16valve, just wondering if this would cane me in a race because of the 16valves? I dunno any stats for the Rover and was just wondering if any can enlighten me as too what im in for when i finally race him :D

Lupo Gti

yeah, i think he would beat you, those rover 1.4 16v units are very good, got close to 100bhp i think! unless u drive really well and he drives crap i think ull get a beating!

but dont let it stop u , just give ur 1.4 everything its got!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

My mate had one. They are quick motors for a 1.4! Twin cam too arent they?

They have over 100bhp, 103 to be precise!

Quote: Originally posted by 1.8_16v_Clio on 18 March 2004

course they are !! they are 16v !!

Volvo S60 D5

Quote: Originally posted by cliosportcraig on 18 March 2004

So? You can get 16v single cam engines. . .

The Rover 1.4 16V TC is a damn good engine, crap car though!

Clio1400

Quote: Originally posted by Clio1400 on 18 March 2004

Clio1400
No !!! The whole reason its 16v is because there are 4 valves per cylinder !! 2 per cylinder are pushed by one cam and the other 2 by the other cam !!

There is no way you can have a 16v engine without twin cam (unless you had a straight 8 !!)

Volvo S60 D5

Quote: Originally posted by Clio1400 on 18 March 2004

Clio1400
No !!! The whole reason its 16v is because there are 4 valves per cylinder !! 2 per cylinder are pushed by one cam and the other 2 by the other cam !!

There is no way you can have a 16v engine without twin cam (unless you had a straight 8 !!)

Yes there is. Go and have a look at the Suzuki Alto. Its a 1.1 4-pot, 16V SOHC. Also IIRC there was a Daihatsu Charade with a similar engine quite a few yrs ago?

Clio1400

Thats not a real engine !! thats like a motorbike engine !! Most straight fours with 16vs have DOHC !! Theres not enough room for 16 lobes on one cam !! Well not on a car that will hit 60 in less than 2 days !!

Volvo S60 D5

Thats not a real engine !! thats like a motorbike engine !! Most straight fours with 16vs have DOHC !! Theres not enough room for 16 lobes on one cam !! Well not on a car that will hit 60 in less than 2 days !!
Sure, most straight 4s with 16V have DOHC, Im not disputing that. All Im saying is that its possible to have SOHC and 16V 4-pots.

You said: "There is no way you can have a 16v engine without twin cam (unless you had a straight 8 !!)"

Well, you can.. theyre out there! And yeah, as to your original comment - I do know how an engine works! ;)

Clio1400

OK OK !! i never even knew they existed !! dont see the point in it tho !! Probably just economy or something !! fair play proved me wrong :oops: !!

didnt mean to sound rude, you just sounded like a young en !!

Volvo S60 D5

OK OK !! i never even knew they existed !! dont see the point in it tho !! Probably just economy or something !! fair play proved me wrong :oops: !!

didnt mean to sound rude, you just sounded like a young en !!
Probably to do with economy, no idea.. Id rather have a twin cam, I have a 16v4 and a 20v5 on my drive though, so Im biased :D

I didnt mean to sound rude either, apologies if it came accross like that!!

Clio1400

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

That Engine is the K-series motor that they use in alot of race cars including Caterhams. So i rekon hell beat you. But the 214 is a heavy car sooo who knows!

hmmm cheers guys (and girls if any of you are female), might have a fair chance because his going for some 16s or 17s for alloys and going for a big ass body kit and minimal performance mods so that should slow it down abit whereas im just gunna go for some 15s , slam it and tweak that engine with a few mods :D (well the best you can on a 1.4 anyway)

only thing that really gets me is that he can insure it for so much less because of the car (even though its a faster car) whereas you mention clio to an insurance company and it goes sky high :mad: