ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

would you buy it

corsa ecoflex
If you was offered a 172on a 01 plate that had 100,000miles on the clock but with full documented service history for just over 2k would you buy it...has 12 months mot and 6 months tax

corsa ecoflex
thats what i thought...i have had a look thruogh the history and it must have been some womans baby as i was seviced bang on the correct mileage..cambelt done water pump done..new exhaust..the list goes on

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
^^^^Good stuff..

I wouldn't let the high mileage put you off, if it's been looked after/serviced regularly, then it should be fine.

My mk2 172 is fast approaching 90k and runs very well [touches wood]

80MPG BEEZA
plus you could get a new engine dropped in for a couple of hundred if it fails cant seem why it wouldnt reach 150k easy if its been well looked after

corsa ecoflex
Well i went and had a look at the car this evening and i must say i was amazed at it,the only problem is,is that it looks like some kids have sat on the bonnet as its dented..so how much would it cost for me to get a new bonnet

mk4 golf gttdi180
Well i went and had a look at the car this evening and i must say i was amazed at it,the only problem is,is that it looks like some kids have sat on the bonnet as its dented..so how much would it cost for me to get a new bonnet
tops 100

Clio 172 Cup
Dent master should be able to get the dent out. Should be about 50-60 quid, I had it done on my old car couldn't tell afterwards.

clio trophy No56
As already said, as long as its been looked after 100,000 isnt a problem at all, there is cars kicking about with alot more than that on.

corsa ecoflex
FFS im now in to minds whether to get the 172..ive just seen a 1.2 dynamique for the same price on a 03 plate,so i really need some advice here guys...
1.what mpg does the clio172 do if driven sensible..
2.what tax would we pay a year next year when the taxing changes..
3.what are the running costs like..
4.are the parts really expensive to buy

call me a pain in the ar*e i just want to make sure i do the right thing here

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
FFS im now in to minds whether to get the 172..ive just seen a 1.2 dynamique for the same price on a 03 plate,so i really need some advice here guys...
1.what mpg does the clio172 do if driven sensible..
2.what tax would we pay a year next year when the taxing changes..
3.what are the running costs like..
4.are the parts really expensive to buy

call me a pain in the ar*e i just want to make sure i do the right thing here

1) 33mpg
2) 270 quid
3) 300 miles to a tank .. so about 50 quid. Most expensive service is cambelt at 600-700 quid. tho i think angelworks is cheaper than that. Get used to the build quality. Things will go wrong. expect standard springs/exhaust/window regulators/engine mounts to get fooked.
4) no.

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
because its all good and well having a full service history to show the engine is sound (belts. regular oils etc) but it doesnt say much about how its driven. engine mounts. springs driveshafts.clutch. gearbox. are all pretty weak for a hard driven engine. Some here have been unfortunate even at 50k. I tested out a few 172s before buying mine and came across abused examples with sound service histories.

IMO. its just that MANY wear and tear items are pretty likely with a high millage car and with renault build quality 172s can be money pits.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
millage is irelevent its how its been driven and looked after, cars that have been driven hard are not a problem, its the ones that have been abused to watch out for. you can usually tell with a quick drive.

as for 172 vs 1.2, i get 40 miles LESS to a FULL tank of petrol that i got with my 1.2 16v, so its not a problem, the 172 has buckets more torque than the 1.2 so doesnt need to be driven as hard around town.

tax on 1.2 16v was £115 ish i think last time i checked and 172 just over £200 so again not THAT much in it.

insurance will be your biggest issue depending on age.

12k service intervals compaired to 18k on the 1.2 16v

corsa ecoflex
Well i just went to see the 172 again just to be sure i wanted it and im happy to say i put a deposit down on it and collect it tomorrow morning when the banks open:) :) god im not gonna be able to sleep tonight...

corsa ecoflex
I picked up the 172 this morning and its ace..i smiled all the way home as i drove through the 10 miles of country roads to get home..