ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

would you trade in a 182 for this...

Focus RS,Golf GTD

believe it or not....I just traded my scooby in for a new 182. Too many w**kers wantin to steal it or race you everywhere. Fantastic car to drive though!

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172

I quite fancy gettin a scooby as a next car but i dont like that shape prefer the old one

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R

Well Im in the process of selling my much loved 182 and going down the Japanese route of an Impreza P1 and I cant wait. Love the 182 though and had I not had my stupid head on Id keep it for another 5 years.

Quote: Originally posted by sime46 on 13 June 2005

believe it or not....I just traded my scooby in for a new 182. Too many w**kers wantin to steal it or race you everywhere. Fantastic car to drive though!
lol, and you think the 182 will be different

BMW 120i Sport

Quote: Too many w**kers wantin to steal it or race you everywhere. Fantastic car to drive though!

I have the same problem of every 18 year old and his girlfriend up my arse anywhere I go in the 182 egging me on.

Getting tired of it, i cant get out for a drive without it attracting saxos and old decrepit skylines.

BMW 120i Sport

Quote: Originally posted by 182_blue on 13 June 2005
Quote: Originally posted by sime46 on 13 June 2005believe it or not....I just traded my scooby in for a new 182. Too many w**kers wantin to steal it or race you everywhere. Fantastic car to drive though![/QUOTE]lol, and you think the 182 will be different

lol exactly what i posted above ;)

BMW 120i Sport

That model WRX 0-100 in 16.9, the STi version is 0-100 in 13.5 so I see your point.

Can you sort out the WRX with an exhaust and remap to squeeze more power from it?

Quote: Originally posted by Big G on 13 June 2005

Can you sort out the WRX with an exhaust and remap to squeeze more power from it?
My last WRX (bugeye) with the Prodrive ECU and a full decat had more torque than the STi version - 265lbft.

BMW 120i Sport

ding dong, that sounds like it was one capable car!

What are your feelings on the Impreza and Clio having clearly owned both.

imo scoobys are way too ugly and attract too much bad attention never drove one, the thought of doin doesnt really excite me as much as the thought of getting in a 172/182

G - Ive owned 2 Imprezas from new (MY99 and MY01) and a 172 from new. The first scooby was probably the best all-round car but I also loved my bugeye wagon - 0-60 in around 5 secs with two mountain bikes on the roof!! They were both very quick, boringly reliable but very expensive to run...

Switching to the 172 was driven by family circumstances rather than any expectation it would be better or even comparable. Its a decent enough car and good value, and Ill stick with it a while longer - but theres precious little fun to be had, which is why I ended up getting a Caterham as well (and why I now have no money).

Gareth

Scooby STi, FiestaST

Quote: Originally posted by Karen on 13 June 2005

No - dont like the look of it for starters...
me neither... i think they look cac from the front.... cant argue with the performance but they look poop.

BMW 120i Sport

Nice pics, i dont think the bug eye is ugly - can get nice upgraded lights for the bug eye from Prodrive.

A nice burble exhaust, some sl*gged mud guards and a performance prodrive pack and itll be quite a machine i expect.

What were servicing costs like?

Too Much Hype over the Scooby expensive to run and will need its clutch changed(44,000 they need to be changed at 45,000to be on the safe sise ) very soon and that will cost a bit ..!!! stick with the Clio ..!!

Im sure you will find one cheaper elsewhere.

I just sold my 02 Sti with PPP (300BHP) and got a 182 with cup packs. For my everyday commute accross london the 182 is more fun.

Unless your going to spend your life on B roads, go with another car if you feel like a change. The spool up on the scoobys turbo can be frustraing as hell and everything beats you away from the lights unless you dump the cluch. Also the cost of ownership can be frightening for the STi.

Quote: Originally posted by Big G on 14 June 2005

What were servicing costs like?
At a rough guess, Id say everything (insurance, fuel, maintenance) is around 1.5 - 2 times what the Clio costs.

Id go along with the majority and say give it a miss - my scoobies were great but to an extent its really "yesterdays car".

browno

ClioSport Club Member

Was looking at scoobys on the web last night - if anyones interested, motorpoint seem to have a load of WRXs at £15599 (although Subaru dealers have the free PPP at the minute too!). Mate just bought a new black WRX from them and I have to admit it did look nice...

V

v6Max

Ive got an early scooby and the v6 - the v6 is more fun (read challenge) to drive fast. The scooby is very easy to drive fast, is more practical and consumes about the same amount of petrol.

Lots of tuning options for the scooby as well, extracting more power from them is a relatively simple and common thing to do. Not sure about the comment above about clutch replacement, mines done 70,000 miles on the original clutch - the main wear items appear to be discs/pads - its woefully underbraked compared to the v6.

If you dont overdue the tuning (i.e. try and extract 1000bhp by attempting to up the boost to 3 bar!) they are reliable and strong - the only thing thats gone wrong with mine is a burst top radiator hose.

Ive just come from STI ownership to a 172:eek:! Reasons for this is that I bought the STI as a weekend car, however its impossible to do it as you want to drive it all the time everywhere. That’s when you have to have a bottomless pocket or a petrol station attached to the back end. Now Im not one of those people who can tootle around, I live in rural France and every road is sweeping bends, tight corners and perfect tarmac, no speed camera’s and no crime, its a car enthusiasts dream. Anyway after seven months of ownership and a small fortune spend on running it I decided to look at something that is nearly as much fun but doesnt cost the earth to run. So when I took the car in for a service they had a mint 172 on the forecourt, so I asked for a test drive. Anyway to cut a long story short I sold the STI and bought the 172 and after two months I don’t regret it one single bit. Apart from the straight line speed Id say the 172 puts the same grin on my face as the STI did and the added bonus is that everybody doesn’t stare at us. Now I have the Four wheel drive thing out of my system its hot hatches from now on because pound for pound and smiles per mile they can’t be beaten IMHO. But if you need to get one then get one and enjoy it!:D

Clio Cup

What exactly is the big deal, you can have a new one for a few grand more. Saw this advert on the hondas uk site-

SUBARU Impreza 2.0 WRX AWD Turbo , 2005 05 Reg , 0 miles. ...WRX TURBO...BRAND NEW UNREGISTERED...IN STOCK NOW....LATEST 05 MODEL. REDUCED TO 15695..METALLIC CHOICE AVAILABLE..WITH FREE METALLIC PAINT... MAIN DEALER FACILITIES AND EXCELLENT FINANCE DEALS....HONDAS-UK...SAVING YOU A FORTUNE ON EACH AND EVERY CAR...WHY BUY USED WHEN YOU CAN BUY NEW...USUAL MAIN DEALER FACILITIES...NATIONAL DELIVERY

BMW 120i Sport

Quote: Originally posted by gazcaddy on 14 June 2005
Big G, did you go off the idea of the 330ci?

Its an auto box, dont think i can live with it; but then the Scoob appeared for just over £10k, wondered what people thought about trading in the 182 for that particular kind of scoob.

Its not leather inside and it doesnt have xenons, so I decided against it as I really would miss those.

Are they really that bad on gas? Obviously these quick clios are a revelation in economy 4 performance stakes..so is that clouding our judgement here? is the thirst of a scoob that much more harsh than any other performance saloons?

tough decision for me as it could be based on exhuast note alone...cant i make my cup sound like that?

Clio 200 Cup packed

there a black 03 wrx with PPP on autotrader for 14k, i was very very tempted to go and have a look, untill i learned that the money i saved on insuring the PPP i could almost buy an STI instead! (if i could bloody find one local :mad:)

current 182: £700
WRX: £800
WRX: (PPP) £1200
STI: £900