ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Would you.....

Ok here is my history of Renault cars:

I was 19 and bought a new Clio 1.2 Dynamique, the car was really nice and the only problem i ever had was the sunroof rattling.
I liked it so much that last year when i was 21 i bought myself a new 172. Here comes the sh*t: Ive had so many problems with the car its unbelievable, the engine mounts have snapped 3 times, the wheel arch liner has come out and smashed which they are refusing to replace under warranty, the passenger seat has been fixed for the rattle, the passenger seat handle broke, the oil cover cap came off and snapped, the suspension has the annoying bang round corners which they are currently fixing, and to top it all off the headlights dont work. :mad: Its been back to the dealers over 14times now, a few times for a week or so.

I got both of these cars using friends and family discount. At my local dealer, i get treated like sh*t, end up waiting for ages to be seen only to be told they dont have time to fit me in for a week or so etc etc.

Here is the Big question though, with all the problems ive had with the 172 would it be worth trading it in for a 182??? It should cost me ~£1k maybe less if i kick up a fuss about the problems. Thats disregarding what ive paid already for the 172 though so i wouldve lost (spent) £1.5-£2k on that in the past 8months.

I can get friends and family discount off the 182 but im not sure whether id get another car with so many problems.

Thanks

Kev.

Im not too bothered about the 182 to be honest, i really like my car when its all clean..........and it works.

About another dealer, its just a bit of a pain to get to others because of work etc. The car gets sorted in the end because i know the customer care manager but its the hassle of seeing her all the time to complain.

Put this way, if i do get a 182 and thats a big IF, it wouldnt be going to Renault Oldham for ANYTHING.

Kev.

m8, i know how u feel, my main dealer is a reg vardy:(altho siver, told me of one at junc 29 of the m1, buts its like nearly 50 mile, b4 start! hence i haver to go to vardys but i aint happy about it!!

320d M Sport

dont do it, youll get the same probs kev, end of the day reno are churning out 182s that STILL have the same faults which theyve known about for years.

wankas.

Quote: Originally posted by paddymph on 26 June 2004

dont do it, youll get the same probs kev, end of the day reno are churning out 182s that STILL have the same faults which theyve known about for years.

wankas.
Its either the 182, or the Megane RS (Insurance problem!!!)

Im getting pretty pissed of with Renault though, its the F & F discount i like! lol

Kev.

If they fix my 172, ill be happy. BUT i know itll just break again, i think i got a friday afternoon built car

:cry:

Kev.

Ziel Nurburgring

a megane on f & f would be proper bo! They have a test rocket at my local dealer and am trying to get a drive out of the sales manager, they also have a blue 182 with the stripes (Which they did themselves for a tenner and then flog the full price reno ones to jo public)

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

See my reply in the other 182 thread you posted in Kev :), but for me, even the warranty extension was worth trading for.

I swapped from a 172 that had 20months warranty left, to a brand new 182 (on order) with the full three year warranty. Seeing as the last warranty repair my 172 had was 400pounds of parts alone, PLUS labour it was an easy decision to make.

182, GTR, C63

It mostly depepnds on your dealer this has nothing to do with clios but at work we bought 2 vans of dixon ford instead of polar. we got a litlle fiesta van and a tranny. they were perfect van untill the tranny sprung a little oil leak. Nothing to technical but we didnt want little bits of oil dripping out of it onto the road. dixon ford took the engine out and "fixed" the problem. so we brought it back to work and it starts dripping. then we notice that when you set off theres a funny noise. dixon ford had managed to break the engine mountings while fixing an oil leak. They swore blind that it wasnt there fault. the tranny went back countless times for the oil leak and they neven fixed it. the fiestas turbo knackered after 20000 miles and we took it back and paid 300 quid for a part to fix it. this didnt fix it but dixon ford were 300 better off for doing nothing. Theythen said when we took it back that to fix it were looking at 2000 and by this time the fiesta wasnt worth much more. sorry for the essay but my point is the dealers mess a lot of things up and when you have a car that is allready prone to breaking its not good.

Lee

BMW M2C

I think if I was in your position Kev Id chance it again. You cant keep being that unlucky with Renaults, and at the end of the day its costing you very little. If you werent getting it on F & F then Id probably not be getting another one after all that hassle and further outlay.

My 172 was a great car, although it did have a lot of rattles. My 182 did have a minor rattle last night, but nothing to bother me.

It strikes me that Renault sell a lot of these cars, so inevitably there are going to be some which arent great. Law of averages. Those get talked about more than those that work. For every person that has had a major problem, I can name 5 whove had none.

There is no other car for the money (even without F & F) that I would currently rather own than the Clio.

Swap dealers too. They arent all that bad. I got mine from Renault Birmingham who were useless last year when I was looking for a 172. This year the service was spot on. I also had no problems with Sutton Park looking after my 172.

I was worried that my 182 would have the same problems, but the one I couldnt get fixed, the knocking when turning isnt evident on the 182. :D

Hope that helps.

Lee

Quote: Originally posted by Lee M on 26 June 2004

I think if I was in your position Kev Id chance it again. You cant keep being that unlucky with Renaults, and at the end of the day its costing you very little. If you werent getting it on F & F then Id probably not be getting another one after all that hassle and further outlay.

My 172 was a great car, although it did have a lot of rattles. My 182 did have a minor rattle last night, but nothing to bother me.

It strikes me that Renault sell a lot of these cars, so inevitably there are going to be some which arent great. Law of averages. Those get talked about more than those that work. For every person that has had a major problem, I can name 5 whove had none.

There is no other car for the money (even without F & F) that I would currently rather own than the Clio.

Swap dealers too. They arent all that bad. I got mine from Renault Birmingham who were useless last year when I was looking for a 172. This year the service was spot on. I also had no problems with Sutton Park looking after my 172.

I was worried that my 182 would have the same problems, but the one I couldnt get fixed, the knocking when turning isnt evident on the 182. :D

Hope that helps.

Lee
It helps yeh, just helps me spend more money! lol

Im gonna try and get the price down a bit more by highlighting the amount of problems ive had and everything, i could do with spending roughly ~£500 to swap. At the moment it would cost me £1080 but anything below £700 id sign away.:D

Decisions decisions.....then theres the choice of colours :confused:

I do like arctic blue......but ive got a feeling it will become common like the silver 172, ive only ever seen one racing blue but didnt get chance to look properly. And i wont have silver or black, just dont like them.

Still undecided though because i really like the iceburg silver 172, and i didnt really plan on changing it.

Thanks for everyones opinions

Kev.

Lee

BMW M2C

I thought Arctic blue would be the common one, but Black is currently the top seller.

If you swap go for the colour you like. Sod everyone else.:D

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Yeah, like Lee says, according to number of 182s on here, Arctic seems the top colour.

Yet according to Jeremy T, and dealers Ive spoken to, Black gold is the top colour.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

As for reducing the price, perhaps try kicking off with Reno Customer Service and see if they will discount it more because of hassles, but play on the fact that "you are willing to try reno again and hope it was a one off bad car".

It does sound like youve had more than you fair share of issues tho.

Cheers,

Lee.

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

my 1.4 has no rattles except for a little one in the roof. dash etc is rock solid- i dunno wot JC was on about! ok, its plastic, but its far far better than... C2 VTR/ ZT105/ Corsas (which is wat i looked at b4 buying the clio).

i mean, for me, the fact that u can cruise along at 90/100 in a 1400cc on the motorway- comfortably, quietly and without having to floor it, is great!

cant imagine how much better a 182 wud be!

(having sed all that, i cant see myself getting another car till after uni (24ish) and i want to get a modifiable 4x4 jap turbo!)

Anyone else got any ideas?

Im starting to think of going ahead and swapping it now, not because its the latest thing but because mine has been more trouble than its worth.

Kev.

clio 172 ph2 02 reg

Im starting to get annoyed with my dynamique now, sounds like a babys toy if I dont have music on. Drivers side window rattles (only started doing it after a small crash, but was apprentley fixed) but now its started doing it again. Sun roof handle rattles again, was fixed and was find for about 8 months, seat latch has broke again, broke after only about 2 weeks from them fixing it, and I only take my lil bros up to nans each sunday, so it was used 4 times. I would really hate to own a Reanult that is out of warranty.