ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

WTF is this strange noise/whistle/squeak?!?!?!

Maccy

ClioSport Club Member
  Straight 6
Had a 12k service up at 519 yesterday and a few other things checked over, however I've noticed today that there is the most annoying noise occurring when no throttle is applied. It goes away if I press the accelerator about 1/4 way, as soon as I let off it disappears.

Video below to hopefully show what I'm experiencing!

Any suggestions would be great! I'm guessing/hoping it's something hasn't been plugged back in correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
f**k me that would drive me nuts... Did it do it when you picked it up from Danny? Or happened since?

Maccy

ClioSport Club Member
  Straight 6
Yeh I only noticed it yesterday on the drive down the A1 when coming home, he's just responded to me saying it's 100% an air leak and check all the screws so going to nip outside and have a look.

Please stay dry Watford...

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Try nipping the plugs up (did you have them changed? If not then don't see why it would be them), they don't need to be super tight so dont over do it.

Check under the inlet for the little rubber 'O ring' that seals to the Cam cover breather make sure 1 it's there and 2 it's sitting right.

Maccy

ClioSport Club Member
  Straight 6
Plugs weren't changed, however the leads were removed as the head was taken off to do a timing check. Both of the cam seals were replaced as the old ones broke when taken off, they seem to be wedged in pretty tight.

I don't have any of my tools with me so can't properly check until the weekend :(

Maccy

ClioSport Club Member
  Straight 6
I'm going to have a proper check tonight when I get my tools and see if I can find the problem, otherwise I'll be heading back up the A1

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Oh Hai maccy, Just saw your post on OCUK and knew i already saw the same post, and it was here ;)

Maccy

ClioSport Club Member
  Straight 6
So...

I've been round the engine bay with my sockets and tightened up the bolts on the inlet manifold - the noise has gone! Great!

However...

Approaching a roundabout after a few mins driving back home, come to a stop, clutch engaged ready to pull away and the car stalls! Wtf?! Start it back up thinking 'hmmm odd' but carry on. Notice that the revs are massively dropping when I come to a stop either to roundabouts/traffic lights, but then revs jump back up to about 750 - normal for idle I suppose. This continues until I get home, parking up into my bay and it stalls again!

So now I'm at a total loss! One problem fixed, another appears! I'm wondering have I tightened the bolts up too much on the inlet manifold?

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
That sounds like an air leak... Check all the pipes are on tight, also did you check the rubber O ring was in place on the bottom of the inlet where it meets the cam cover?

You shouldn't be having these issues after a Service has been done, speak to Danny, I'm sure he will be happy to offer some over the phone support?

Maccy

ClioSport Club Member
  Straight 6
The rings that cover the ends of the cams? I've updated on his facebook message and tried calling but his phone is off, will try in the morning.

I'm a little hesitant removing the inlet cover as I'm not 100% confident.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
The rings that cover the ends of the cams? I've updated on his facebook message and tried calling but his phone is off, will try in the morning.

I'm a little hesitant removing the inlet cover as I'm not 100% confident.

No it's under the inlets, TBH mate if you can undo a bolt it's not difficult.

Maccy

ClioSport Club Member
  Straight 6
Ahhh I see what you mean now. I'll check it on Saturday morning when I next have free time. Cheers mate :)

Maccy

ClioSport Club Member
  Straight 6
Just came back from picking up some new rear pads (£14.27 for 4 Pagid pads!) and thought I'd have another quick check.

Loosened all of the bolts on the inlet manifold and then tightened them back up, took the car for a quick drive and it seemed fine! Wtf?!

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
It was an air leak I'm betting, loosening the bolts and redoing them up must have sealed it :) happy days, just a pity you had to faf about with it.