ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

X151 WCG-Ph1 172

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Anybody recognise the reg number above? Went to look at it today for a friend, seems fairly tidy but a few things make me question the mileage.

Renaultsport Clio 172 ph1
You mean the one up by the Fort? If so, I think I know what you mean. The steering wheel has a fair amount of wear for something thats supposedly done only 34000 miles. Needs a cambelt etc anyway. The seller told me he wasn't going to take any offers (although that was a week or so ago when he thought it was going to be snapped up!)

What other clues make you wonder if its been clocked?

Yeah i rang about that 1 two weeks ago & he said deff not had cambelt done but he could do it at trade price for me, i thought was very dirty for 34k, the back seats were filthy and the steering wheel was fcuked. Maybe it as had a dial change...who knows!

£2990

Do you mean he offered trade price on the cambelt change? How much?

Last edited:
From what I remember from the conversation, it wasn't a full history.

Its shame, every so often these supposedly low mileage ones crop up but their service history is dodgy at best! :dapprove: Also, the sellers always put ridiculous prices on them, just because of the low mileage and aren't moving with the times.

Incidentally, while you guys are about, can I just ask your advice about one i'm interested in. The other thread where you ask what something is worth doesn't seem to be being read by many people.

I've seen a 2000 X reg 172 ph1 at 78500 miles going for £2400. Has stamps up to 55000 miles but has receipts for other work done more recently, oil etc. It has had a recent gearbox with receipt, rear mounts and exhaust (standard). But again, NO CAMBELT etc.!:mad:

What do you think of the price? He says he won't budge anymore but seems like a genuine guy on the phone. Is it too much at that mileage and without the cambelt?

i'm trying, but can't find one in my budget. I want a ph1 under £2500 with all major work done.

ideally, i wouldn't want to get one with more than 80000 miles. As long as its had the belts etc done, gearbox, clutch, mounts all OK, and exhaust has been replaced at some point (ideally with a stealth stainless or a standard one) major receipts, and it is standard with no mods and it hasn't been on trackdays, and 2 working keys i'd be happy to pay around the £2500 mark. Is that asking too much? :D

Last edited:
  Renault Clio 172 Ph2
you want one with the cambelt done, because you can add 500 quid onto the car itself if it isnt.

And to ad - the steering wheels do wear on the ph1s badly.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
You mean the one up by the Fort? If so, I think I know what you mean. The steering wheel has a fair amount of wear for something thats supposedly done only 34000 miles. Needs a cambelt etc anyway. The seller told me he wasn't going to take any offers (although that was a week or so ago when he thought it was going to be snapped up!)

What other clues make you wonder if its been clocked?
Thats the one. Big alarm bell, was the service book. There's a page ripped out, after the 2nd service. Looking at the subsequent mileage, I'm sure it's been clocked by that owner, and he's removed the service history to hide the miles the car had done when the service was done.

Renault Clio 172 Ph2
if you think a car has been clocked (the steering wheel is a bad guage - they are s**t), then walk away. simple.

plenty more fish in the sea.

Clio 172
if you think a car has been clocked (the steering wheel is a bad guage - they are s**t), then walk away. simple.

plenty more fish in the sea.

I agree, I have a Ph1 172 X reg. with a genuine 33000 miles (I've had it from new) everything is immaculate except from the steering wheel, they are crap.:S

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I agree, I have a Ph1 172 X reg. with a genuine 33000 miles (I've had it from new) everything is immaculate except from the steering wheel, they are crap.:S
Please give me first refusal if you ever sell! I love my ph1, would love an immaculate car so I could turn mine into a purely track car!