ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Xbox 360 1080p / 1920 x 1080

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
So, I've got a new 50" 1080p Panasonic Plasma.

The PS3 does 1080p over HDMI no problem.

The Xbox 360 I have (non-HDMI) will not do 1920x1080 resolution? Does it have to be HDMI to be able to do that? I thought it would be able to do 1080i (1920x1080)? It will only do 1280x1024.

Cheers.

New EggBox time?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Cant it do 1080p with the vga lead?

Sounds like your tv cant do it.

Clio 197
Is your component cable on the correct setting? you may have to play about with the switch on it and the console settings.

Revo Stage 1 Leon FR
its via vga lead, i don't think the vga lead has the HDTV switch.

The HD AV lead comes with the HD switch, then you have to go into your console settings and change it which will get you 1080p

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360componenthdcable/

This is a quote from a hardware review site about the VGA cable

"Curiously, the VGA cable does not unlock the 1920x1080 (1080p) resolution or any resolution near the WUXGA standard, leading us to believe that when the Xbox 360 outputs 1080i using the HD component cable, it only does the old 540p-upconvert-to-1080i trick"

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
so what's the benefit of a HDMI console over the normal console running 1080p via component?

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
component won't support more than 1080i. Its the nature of the cable. VGA won't support 1080p unless your tele can support 1080p OVER VGA.

If you have a neer console, the hdmi will support 1080p no problems.

"Curiously, the VGA cable does not unlock the 1920x1080 (1080p) resolution or any resolution near the WUXGA standard, leading us to believe that when the Xbox 360 outputs 1080i using the HD component cable, it only does the old 540p-upconvert-to-1080i trick"

Rubbish, my 360 + Samsung F71 does 1920x1080 over VGA connector.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
component won't support more than 1080i. Its the nature of the cable. VGA won't support 1080p unless your tele can support 1080p OVER VGA.

If you have a neer console, the hdmi will support 1080p no problems.

I disagree, 2 people I know are running 1080p over component, as they have older non HDMI consoles, support was added with the new NXE

i have run 1080p over both vga and component and do so to this day :) component will not do 1080p video though due to hdcp on hddvd and downloaded media (your own content will work fine though )

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
so i'm guessing it all depends on whether your TV will do 1080p over VGA, clearly mine won't.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
guess I'll be digging around the attic come the weekend trying to find my component cable then, ho hum, lol.

Vw caddy tdi
use the single flat hdmi connection cable, not the switchable tv/hd lead. Also check xbox resolution setting enable hdmi on tv settings. Most xbox games are only 720p.

Vw caddy tdi
Are not all xbox 360's hdmi capable? my hdmi connects in the box next to the wireless clip on/ in socket. Maybe you are missing the single hdmi input lead ?

Clio 197
^ lol, not all 360s have HDMI.

Anything before ~mid 2007 doesn't have HDMI IIRC.

I replaced my 2005 model last November, sold a 2005 premium without hard drive for £95, bought a brand spanking arcade for £120 and fitted the drive from the old console. Not a bad upgrade and these new consoles are so much quieter than the old ones.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
that's where I am, as it'll be sods law as soon as i bother to they'll announce the next xbox.

Fiesta ST
Had the same problem Gareth, I've got the none-hdmi xbox 360 and the VGA port on the panny doesn't support 1080 res.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
What have you done then Longy? Stayed with VGA, or gone component? When I get the money out of my bro for my old 42" I might get an Elite and then spray the HD-DVD black.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
i stuck with component. 1080i isn't ideal and most games run best at 720p anyway so either works. Best thing i rekon for you would be to run 1080i since thats the closest to your actual resolution getting you 1-2-1 pixel mapping, thats my thoughts anyway.

Fiesta ST
What have you done then Longy? Stayed with VGA, or gone component? When I get the money out of my bro for my old 42" I might get an Elite and then spray the HD-DVD black.

I've kept it on VGA and chose one of the resoultions (i'll check tonight) and tbh it still looks great, just tweaked the colours on the TV.

My Sammy looked awful on VGA but the Panny looks good.

MKIII 138
to be fair all 360`s video quality aint that hot even with HDMi, well.. on the dash anyways in game its fine, although for some reason ps3 seems clearer ?
i had the same problem as you got a HDMi enabled xbox360 (as i use a pj and needed a long cable) and then got the scaler chip error :(

not swaping though as its my 4 360 now i run 720p native resolution (which all games bar a few suspect ones run) via HDMI and use the scaler in the pj (good hqv chip) to turn into 1080p.. looks alreet.

dont get hung up on 1080p it aint all that great scaling on 360 your plasma will probably do better pictures with 720 than an already scaled 1080p signal.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I've kept it on VGA and chose one of the resoultions (i'll check tonight) and tbh it still looks great, just tweaked the colours on the TV.

My Sammy looked awful on VGA but the Panny looks good.

its running 1280 x 1024 vga at the moment.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
The only problem i had with my xbox is when i plug it into the Bravia using the component it didnt fit the screen correct and i couldnt change it in the settings weird? but i think i had to adjust the tv settings. If i used a HDMi cable it fitted perfectly but then i couldnt connect to surround sound so i had to use the audio adapter if thats what its called that you get in the box and its all fine.