ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Xbox 360 hdmi lead's ???

Off topic but I read on here a while back that x360 doesn't output 5.1 audio over hdmi. Mine does. That is all.

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
Poundland for all your HDMI needs.

I now feel as though I have been robbed, I paid £1.99 for one, I could have saved myself 99p :(.

I had the component leads that come with the 360 (5 colour ones I think) in before the HDMI cable and noticed no difference to using the HDMI cable.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
A £1 one is no worse than a £70 one. It is a digital signal so if it is reproducing then a better cable will not improve it. The flexibility and connectors can be better on the £70 one, but the picture will be the same.

Not true TBH. This has been done a mirrion times over the years. Higher quality cables can and do provide a better audio and video signal. £70 is extreme, though.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Not true TBH. This has been done a mirrion times over the years. Higher quality cables can and do provide a better audio and video signal. £70 is extreme, though.

Don't you only notice the difference if the cables are quite long though, like 4m+ ?

Polo + Micra
you'd probably notice more of a difference if you took one shoe off than you would between £100 and £1 hdmi cables

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
below 5m all HDMI cables are 100% identical in performance, over 10M you MAY need to spend a bit more.

Do you have any evidence to backup that claim?

Hundreds (thousands, in fact) of real-life tests online and a few scientific ones I've found, virtually none of them could see a difference. Up to 5m seems fine these days, but lots of reports of 10m being fine as well in 'cheap' form. Worth mentioning that length won't 'degrade' the actual image quality anyway, if it's getting through, it's getting through...the only problem with a crap lead would be in the form of picture drop-out etc.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/121777/the_cable_game.html
http://reviews.cnet.com/hdmi-cable/
http://stuff.tv/forums/thread/33821.aspx

Quote from the only scientific test I could find...

Once you get a good HDMI connection, our tests indicate, you can expect flawless performance from any 4-meter cable, regardless of price.

99.9% of people will never be able to see a difference between a £1 cable and a £70 cable (the 0.1% are probably lying, having being duped into paying for a £70 cable). The only 'problem' you may run into with a cheap vs expensive lead is build quality (in terms of how robust it is), but really, 35 £2 cables are probably going to outlive one £70 anyway.

Yeah that seems fair enough. However, I'm sure someone could dig up research which draws the opposite conclusion. I was curious about the signal degrading over 10m but not degrading with low quality cables. That doesn't make sense.

Anyway, I don't want HDMI Wars. £70 is definitely a bit gay.

I got stung for £50 when I bought my Bluray, didn't know much about HDMI at the time and the wanker in the shop told me I needed a quality cable. Fairplay to him, done me good and proper.

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
Yeah that seems fair enough. However, I'm sure someone could dig up research which draws the opposite conclusion. I was curious about the signal degrading over 10m but not degrading with low quality cables. That doesn't make sense.

Anyway, I don't want HDMI Wars. £70 is definitely a bit gay.

the signal dosent degrade with cheap, long cables.. it merely causes drop outs. Digital signal cannot degrade. its 1's and 0's, it is either on or off.

the signal dosent degrade with cheap, long cables.. it merely causes drop outs. Digital signal cannot degrade. its 1's and 0's, it is either on or off.

Sorry dude but that concept is a myth. Digital signals can and will degrade. The old '1 & 0' thing that gets thrown about in these discussions isn't applicable with video and audio. Copy a CD back and forth a hundred times and then compare the latest copy to the original. It will sound s**t.

Some people assume that as the signals are digital either the cable works or not. Sometimes however the 1s and 0s aren't all there because of signal degradation due to inferior cable construction. That can be especially true with audio and video sources such as CDs and DVDs. The signal will degrade gracefully, to a point and then it will break up. Music and video is not like data. Digital signal processors can work with a degraded signal and deliver less than perfect sound and pictures.
You can never improve a digital signal by using an expensive cable but you can certainly degrade a signal using an inferior cable.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Im sticking with my £1 cable thanks.

If it breaks, i'll buy another.

But there will be a difference in the connectors on a £70 ones to 70p ones for sure. Gold casing etc. Which will make a difference.

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
gold plated connectors make no difference whatsoever.... is your tv gold plated? no... its to stop corrosion... which will NEVER happen indoors anyway.

Oh and if you copy a cd a hundred times it will be IDENTICAL. digital media cant degrade, unless you pass the file through a mechanism that changes the file in any way.

But there will be a difference in the connectors on a £70 ones to 70p ones for sure. Gold casing etc. Which will make a difference.

Only in terms of it lasting longer and being less likely to suffer any drop out, if you get a 'good' cheap one (and most are) you are hugely unlikely to suffer any image quality issues. A very small minority of people suffer from interference with different equipment in the vicinity, in which case a better shielded cable will probably help, but even so, £30 is probably all the money you would ever need to spend.

It saddens me (but doesn't surprise me) that looking around in Currys last weekend, the cheapest HDMI lead they sold was £30, the most expensive being £80. Considering most Blu Ray players do not come with a lead, presumably most people are paying these prices.

I bought two from Amazon, each just under £2. One is very thick and feels really well constructed, the other feels a little more flimsy (but still connects just fine), it's the luck of the draw, but as they sit there and never move it's very unlikely that one is going to perish any time soon.

gold plated connectors make no difference whatsoever.... is your tv gold plated? no... its to stop corrosion... which will NEVER happen indoors anyway.

Oh and if you copy a cd a hundred times it will be IDENTICAL. digital media cant degrade, unless you pass the file through a mechanism that changes the file in any way.

You're wrong.

I'm not suggesting I can personally see or hear a difference from one cable to the next. However, when you start looking into the science, instead of just popluar opinion, you begin to understand that the digital AV world is not quite as simple as 1s & 0s. I realise we are debating at the extreme ends of the scale, but a digital stream can degrade and lose quality. The fact that it eventually breaks up, proves this - it's not like those bits just suddenly say "f**k that, I'm not travelling that far!11". The signal degrades, bits are lost, to a point where the processor can no longer create even a half decent image from it, and then breaks up. The inbetweens can and will alter the image or audio. Whether or not anyone can see the differences is probably best left to a 'What Hi-Fi?' forum. I agree on that.

Ultimately (and again at the extreme end of the scale to prove the point), anyone who spends £10k on an AV system, and uses 75p cables, is a dick. If their 1 & 0 argument held so much water, they would have bought a cheap ass processor.

Last edited:

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
We arent talking about 10K AV systems.

We are talking about 1m cables to connect an xbox to a tv.

FACT is a £1 cable will do as good a job as a £70 cable of identical length.

Feel free to prove me wrong, but im admin. So i rule.

We arent talking about 10K AV systems.

We are talking about 1m cables to connect an xbox to a tv.

FACT is a £1 cable will do as good a job as a £70 cable of identical length.

I am talking about the principle that a digital signal cannot degrade. It can. It is high and low voltages, not 1s & 0s on someones monitor. Bits can be, and are lost.

I have not, and am not, arguing anything else.