ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Xenon Headlamps output control

Something that I found on the renault website that may interest Mk2 172 drivers:

"Xenon Headlamps

Xenon headlamps use a luminous flux that is twice the power of traditional headlamps and this greatly increases the visibility provided.

Advantages
- The light produced by Xenon headlamps is the most natural light available. This enables the driver to see objects easily even though the human eye loses a third of its ability at night.
- With this technology there is no filament, this means that a Xenon headlamp will last up to four times longer than a normal headlamp.
- The Xenon headlamps automatic adjustment allows the light beam to remain focused on the road ahead and prevents dazzling.

How it works
The light is produced by passing an electric arc through xenon gas and this increases the luminous power of the Headlamps. An automatic correction system constantly adapts the adjustment of the headlamps. It compensates according to the vehicle load and to the amount of diving under braking. For some models it modifies the beam of light to give the driver optimum visibility no matter what speed the vehicle is travelling at. Below 19 MPH, the dipped headlights are reduced to diminish the flux in urban areas. Above this speed they are at the optimum power level.
To guarantee the performance, vehicles fitted with Xenon headlamps are also equipped with Headlamp washers."

I remember from an earlier topic that people with 172s saying that their xenons were not that white(blue) in comparison with BMs etc when looking at them from outside the car. Hopefully the above statement may have somethig to do with it. You dont tend to see your own xenons when you are driving.

Renault Laguna

sounds quite logical, that way they use a lot less at idle when you are in a jam, when I get on a night time jam I usually turn headlights off....