ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Xenon headlamps??

clio trophy #418/500
Ive recently bought a 182 trophy and want to put the xenon headlamps on it. Is at easy as just changing the lamps or is there more to it than that?

Thanks.

if you mean the headlight units like on a 182 full fat, they are about £300 quid for a pair and a straight swap

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
they are a straight swap, but you will have to carry over your manual adjustment from the standard lights, as you wont have the right loom for auto height adjustable units.

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
Go for it, they make night time driving excellent. I'll be putting some aftermarkets in the next car I get that doesn't have them.

Milltek'd 182
wont you need to install washer jets, and a levelling system to make it legal? rather than just the £300 to buy and swap them?

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
If you can get a pair of 182 HID light units for £300, would you mind getting me a pair please.

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Yes Shaun, your absolutely correct, they are different.

But its like trying to get someone to stop calling a Dyson, a Hoover.

Ive given up. All people want is the bright blue lights that blind people coming in the opposite direction, and the suppliers of these stupid kits make money by selling them, although they know they are illegal.

al

ST on the way...

HID stands for High Intensity Discharge and HID lighting technology replaces the filament of the light bulb with a capsule of gas (e.g. Xenon) hence the phrase Xenons.

V6 255, 172's, JCW,

HID stands for High Intensity Discharge and HID lighting technology replaces the filament of the light bulb with a capsule of gas (e.g. Xenon) hence the phrase Xenons.

Thanks Al.. but i'm still with Brian on this one i think.. i hear what your saying.. though they are a totally different lamp/filiment.. fittment.. which ever.
I have on the V6 and the 182, what i've been led to beleive are 'xenon' lights. A large lamp /bulb about 40mm in diameter. It looks almost like solid glass. Both cars have washer jets too as i'm sure you're aware. I also noiced on my old 172 exclusive, and on my m8's mums 1.6 sport, of the same age, that these too have the same type of lamp/bulb although they're a litte smaller.. say about 30mm in diameter. They too seem to work in exactly the same way as xenon, in the they give out the same light ( white with the slightly blue edge to them ) but neither of these ph1 cars have washer jets, yet seem to have exacltly the same lights!?! Then, there's this lad at a friends garage who has a heavily modded Nova, and he's fitted what he calls HID's. Had a look through the lens and the lamp/bulb is nothing like that on the Clio's. It also give of a very blue/white light. There even just fitted straight inthis original unit! No washer jets either. And WHY do 'xenons' need washer jets..?!
Please can someone give definative answers to all this lot... lol..

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
nothing like that on the Clio's. It also give of a very blue/white light. There even just fitted straight inthis original unit! No washer jets either. And WHY do 'xenons' need washer jets..?!
Please can someone give definative answers to all this lot... lol..

iirc xenons need headlamp washers to keep the lights clean, and therefore not blind other drivers/ road users.
imo they are a complete waste of time, and all they seem to do is leak.:dapprove:

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
The easies way to determine whether a car has HID lights or not, is to switch them on.

HID take a second or two to flicker to life and about 30 seconds to get up to full brightness.

Its for this reason they are not suitable for main beams, as they don't "strike" fast enough.

The word "Xenon" is a noun, its the name of a gas, just like Neon, and Halogen.

Xenon is misused to describe headlight bulbs sold because the have the blue tinge that is typical of Xenon gas burning.
Some do indeed contain the gas, most are just Halogen bulbs with a blue painted coating on the outside.

Xenon is one of the gases used in the bulbs in HID lamps, thus the confusion.

Cars that are fitted with HID lights must by law, have properly constructed reflectors in the headlights and be E marked as such.
They work at a much higher voltage to cause the gas to strike, that is done by the exciter unit connected to the bulb.

As the gas inside the HID lamps is burning and forming a plasma to create the light source, this is much bigger than the thin line of hot wire in a conventional tungsten filament bulb, thus the shape of the reflector is very important, and is the reason they have a bulls eye projector type lens to focus the source.

OEM HID bulbs are made with bases that will not fit a normal headlight to stop them being used in non approved reflectors because the scatter is more likely to dazzle other drivers.

The makers of the conversion kits saw a way round this as a money making opportunity based on the appeal of these lights as fitted to high end models, and made the lamp units with bases that fit normal headlights. H4,H7,H1 etc....

They don't commit an offence by making them, the person who uses them, does.

The self levelling requirement is to prevent the lights from causing glare if the car is loaded at the rear, and the washers are supposed to ensure the lenses are clean to prevent scatter, personally I don't think the latter works.

If you take the whole lamp assembly from another model in the range and fit it with the self levelling units and control box, and the headlight washer, no problem.

Fit the conversion units and your asking for trouble and your a nuisance on the road, IMHO.

V6 255, 172's, JCW,
Thanks Brian....! I knew someone would know.. lol.
But do you know why mk2 ph1 Sport lights aper to have xenon lights but no washers?

Thanks, Shaun

RS 200
But do you know why mk2 ph1 Sport lights aper to have xenon lights but no washers?

Thanks, Shaun

They dont, they have a projector lens on the headlight and a normal halogen filament bulb behind, hence no need for washers, auto levelers.

Correct me if I'm wrong Brian :)

Chris

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Brand new £150 + vat each including charger pack and xenon bulb - all brand new !!!

7701054062 £178.22 + vat headlight shell
7701207033 £153.27 + vat charger pack
7701046154 £123.85 + vat bulb xenon

these prices are just for one side NEW from Renault - my price is £150 + vat the lot and thats genuine

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5

Thanks, Shaun

They dont, they have a projector lens on the headlight and a normal halogen filament bulb behind, hence no need for washers, auto levelers.

Correct me if I'm wrong Brian :)

Chris

Yep ! Spot on, pardon the pun.

Last edited:
Brand new £150 + vat each including charger pack and xenon bulb - all brand new !!!

7701054062 £178.22 + vat headlight shell
7701207033 £153.27 + vat charger pack
7701046154 £123.85 + vat bulb xenon

these prices are just for one side NEW from Renault - my price is £150 + vat the lot and thats genuine

Sent PM mate :)