ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Xenon headlights

Valver

I want to get headlights that look that kind of brighter white, but whats the best and cheapest option? Theres a pair of xenons on ebay for under a tenner, but then I see 300 quid HID kits, both offering the same :S

Renault Laguna Coupe

They are totally different. The Xenon bulbs on ebay are just that - replacement bulbs for your existing bulbs. HID systems are complete replacements for your headlamps.

the bulbs on ebay are standard bulbs with xenon instead of halogen gas in them which gives a slightly brighter light. true xenons like fitted to 172s are HID and have a totally different bulb that does not have an element in it and needs expensive starter packs/control units plus leveling and headlamp wash

Valver

Just did a search for xenon on the forums, sorry :oops:

Wasnt sure about these ebay things though, would I notice a lot of difference with 10 quid bulbs, or not really worth the effort?

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

I had a look into doing an HID conversion the only problem is the auto levelling, I didnt fancy paying £300 to be told to take remove them as they were illegal. The washer jets could easily be fitted, Ideally youd want see through glass too, but you could get away without it.

If you want superior peformance you can get non road legal motorsport bulbs which put out high wattages but theyre like £80 a pair. Im sure Brun will be on soon as hes had all kinds of different bulbs hell probably be able to tell you whats crap and whats not.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

there is also the small problem with fitting them,they can be very dangerous in the wrong unexperienced hands...IIRC they taake a 20,000 volt spark or something like that to light the gas thingy....If you fit this wrong or let damp in or whatever you may find you wake up with a piece of toast for a car in the morning.....if your car is garaged then you now the rest...beware

there are places that do it and there is one in the back of EVO from time to time.The job is done for around £600

ian

I bought the Xenon bulbs from http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/
About £12 for a pair with free delivery i think. They do an ice blue extreme white.

I can notice the difference at night. The lights seem brighter, and are more white than yellow like normal. I went for ice blue. Bright white light with a slight blue tint.

Pretty cheap and a noticable difference, and because they are just replacement bulbs, easy to fit too.

I used 80/100W lamps from Halfords in the old scooby, much brighter than any fancy coloured lamps. They used to pass the mot no problem, but I dont know if you could trust the wiring in a Reno.

Valver

wouldnt those have been illegal? Were they whiter as well or just more powerful yellow colour ones?