ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Xenons

Black 197
So my 197 is rocking normal headlights,

Now i like xenons and i do like the look of the light housing itself if that makes sense, Now is it possible to get a set of 197 lights, ballast etc and plug in ?, I know legally i'll need headlamp washers but is it possible to do or do i need a new uch as well ?

It's an option thats all or i may just go the HID route but any light shed on this matter pardon the pun would be great

Black 197
Why do you need washers?

from what i've read is a legal requirement due to the way the light reflects out of the casing, the washers are supposed to clear grime and what have you thus reflecting the light better..

i dont understand how though as on my 182 it used to spray and dribble down the lense clearing F all, either that or it leaked so much that i had no fluid to wash the lenses pmsl

Megane R26
The law is very grey - I believe it states that you only need washers if buying from new (so the manufacturers have to supply them). The main requirement is a projector lamp type headlight allowing the beam to be projected/focused appropriately.

You can buy the cornering/projector lamp headlights for about £250, then a H1 HID kit for about £70 or so. Job done.

Black 197
Thanks Russ !

So i'd get the lamps from say Renault to be identicle to the xenons fitted as standard, Go get a HID kit, wack it in and then bish bash bosh xenons ?

Also whatabout the self levelling stuff i've read ? Is it neccesary ?

172 5HED
I know of many that have passed MOT with Xenons and no washers or auto level!

Dont o silly blue with the colour temp either! H7 is what you want!

I have a set here.... 6K colour temp! ;)

Black 197
I want a standard oem look so dont worry about that lol..

Kev what sort of chocolate pennies are we talking ;)

Black 197
Russ thanks for the link

(CLIO Mk4 09/2005> Headlight Xenon FBL Bending Light (Ballast 6G) D1S

this is the 3rd one down and i think it includes the ballast am i correct ? £138 seems reasonable so would i still need HID's or just get a xenon bulb ??

Megane R26
No, get the £125 ones, as the ballasts will come with the HID Kit - the ballast on those only works with the Renault Xenons, which are another £400 for the bulbs

Black 197
No, get the £125 ones, as the ballasts will come with the HID Kit - the ballast on those only works with the Renault Xenons, which are another £400 for the bulbs

You are a champ.. I'll be ordering these next week...

If your feeling extra helpfull i dont suppose you mind posting a link for suitable HID's do you pmsl <3 x

Megane R26
Kev's are fine I'd imagine, if they are the ones from the Group Buy on 197.net

You need H1's though I believe, not H7's. I need to buy some for mine still - I have already changed the headlights ready for them to go in.

172 5HED
Kev's are fine I'd imagine, if they are the ones from the Group Buy on 197.net

You need H1's though I believe, not H7's. I need to buy some for mine still - I have already changed the headlights ready for them to go in.

H7 for normal lights. H1 for projectors!

Rossy, save yourself 60odd quid and buy mine!!!

Black 197
Kev sell me the dream lol

What the £60 include ? Ballast and bulb yeah ?

How much you gonna bend me over for ;)

Black 197
Kev sorry i didn't get back to you mate i had to go to work !!

Pay day is Friday so looks like you will have £60 coming your way ;)

Just out of interest once i buy the projector lamps on the link and get the kit off Kev will my lights look like factory fitted xenons ? Silly question i presume but i want the closest match to the oem look as possible

Thank's again for all your help

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
the 1*2 range came with 4.6k temp xenons I think. Although there wont be much diff with 6k.

Yes it will look factory fit - bar the headlight washers which tend to break anyway!

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Yeh they are a pain in the ass...

Although from that link that Russ posted, I don't know what the difference is between the ones at £125 and the ones at @138!

197's must have xenons IMO! So... Good mod mate!

Black 197
Thats the start of many to come so watch this space

I think the difference is the £138 come with ballasts but will only take Renault xenon bulbs and apparently Renault bulbs are a crazy price, The £125 ones are the projector lamp only.. Both lamps inc vat and postage works out to £280 so with Kev's HID set im looking at roughly £340 for the conversion.. Pretty steep i know but i want it and with my project soon getting underway this will set it off a treat..

Thank's again Luke

172 5HED
Thats the start of many to come so watch this space

I think the difference is the £138 come with ballasts but will only take Renault xenon bulbs and apparently Renault bulbs are a crazy price, The £125 ones are the projector lamp only.. Both lamps inc vat and postage works out to £280 so with Kev's HID set im looking at roughly £340 for the conversion.. Pretty steep i know but i want it and with my project soon getting underway this will set it off a treat..

Thank's again Luke

So you deffor want H1 yeah?

BLK RSC172
what a load of crap... renault would not make a globe just so that they can boycot globes in the market more then likely they used a d2s, globe which is what they used in the 172/182... you should be able to pick up a set of these off ebay quite cheap. also check your user manual and it will tell you what type of globes you require.

Black 197
what a load of crap... renault would not make a globe just so that they can boycot globes in the market more then likely they used a d2s, globe which is what they used in the 172/182... you should be able to pick up a set of these off ebay quite cheap. also check your user manual and it will tell you what type of globes you require.

Right smart ass i was repeating what somebody wrote at the beggining of the thread and if you had taken time to read you will have noticed that my 197 currently does not have xenons and so i am after the projector lamps to convert.. If your post was constructive it would of helped but it does not so wind your neck in

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I've done it to mine. Mine had cornering headlamps already fitted (H1 halogen). Got a H1 5000k hid kit, works well, looks superb!!! I retro fitted the washers, but no need, i wanted the full Xenon look. Did have 6000k but didnt rate them, too blue, not enough light imo. As you can see looks 100% factory.

DSC04429.jpg

DSC04426.jpg

Last edited:
  Black 197
Gaz

Your ruining my wallet lol... First on twisting my arm on getting the 197 and now making me envy your lights !

i take it you already had the headlamps so just bought the HID kit ? I'm gonna buy authentic 197 projectors and then but the HID kit.. Was it hard to do ? Never ripped a bumper off such a new car and im paranoid of damaging it

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Yeah mine already had them. You'll be fine buying the black projctor clusters, plug and play iirc. Pretty much plug and play mate. You may need a drill though.