ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

XP or Linux for Aspire One?

Having decided on the SSD for the Acer, I now need too decide between Acers Linux set up or get XP.

I used the Linux version in Currys and it seemed ok - but what are the down sides to Linux?

If anyone has the Aspire, what OS do you recommend?

as i said i bout the linux version it now has windows on it

getting it to talk to a windows network is much easier that way

but if your just typing emailing and surfing then linux will do

Does XP run fairly quick? It will be the 1GB ram model.

Then again, anything will run faster than my home PC!!

it runs surprisingly quickly and ours isnt the ssd version

i will be upgrading the ram though
some people run vista on them

I'm only going for the SSD version as it will probably get a bit of abuse and storage is not needed.

Think I will go for XP as I think I will eventually get annoyed with linux!!

Did you try that fan programme?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
linux version !

getting it to 'talk' to windows is easier on linux than it is on windows !! lol

Reading that there maybe issues with xp speed on the SSD. I was tempted by the linux but really have no knowledge of Linux at all!!

Hippys bus of LOVE !!!
Its easy, much more stable etc plus there are lots of help forums and enough guys on here to point you in the right direction ect...

Reading that there maybe issues with xp speed on the SSD. I was tempted by the linux but really have no knowledge of Linux at all!!

with the version of linux on it as standard and the way its configured there isnt really any need to do anything with it other than turn it on and open up the applications tbh

oh and that app worked great on mine :D thank you

Good good! May well go with the HHD version as thh SSD is meant to be slower than most netbooks!

But for the same price I could get a Dell mini 9 or MSI wind.

Damn decision needs to be made today!!

Fiesta Zetec S TDCI
IIRC MSI Wind is the one most recommend.
However, they're all pretty much the same spec so you may aswell just get the best (for rugged-ness, reliability) your budget can afford.

Fiat Bravo Active TJet
Just looked at that solution, and, to me at least, it looks a piece of piss on Linux.

Fiat Bravo Active TJet
Yeah - no probs mate. Drop a PM if you get stuck, should you get the Linux one ofcourse.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
the linux you get is so much of a tard version i couldnt even use it lol

There is always an 'advanced' mode which restores most of the functionality..

But I always just wipe it and install my own version anyway.

Recaro Black Gold 182
I had a Dell Mini 9 running Linux and I hated it, took it back a week later.

I would sway towards XP out of the two.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
I wipe it and use something like Ubuntu but rebuild the kernel to make it slicker/faster boot times etc.

DMS

A thirsty 172
I'm gonna buy one of these and install Knoppix STD to it.
T'is a far better Linux distro than Limpus IMO, and it'll contain a lot of the stuff I need to use for work out of the box.
The version with the regular hard disk also runs Windows 7 really well believe it or not.