ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Yet another questions about starting

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I've searched, but my prob seems to be, car starts cold fine, starts warm fine, but if you say drive it for ages, then turn of engine for say 30 seconds while nipping into a shop, it won't start, have to do a few attempts.

Clio 5 1.2 16v
what does it do when you try and start it, does it sound like the battery is low (i am not about to tell you its the battery thats gone) i have a simliar problem and the only way i solve it is by getting someone to push it when i pop the clutch and make the engine turn over, and then wala its starts as it would normally. Edde was telling someone else a tip that you should leave it in reverse and rock the car round a bit but i havent tryed this myself :)

Leon Cupra R 225
Coil pack on it's way out? lambda sensor? I had mine replaced they always seem to go. Don't put up with it because it's very fixable.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Car turns over, just keeps turning over, then i stop trying, and try again and she fires up.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Is the lambda sensor the thing that goes in the Exhaust?

Leon Cupra R 225

yes iirc :rolleyes: I had coil pack and lambda sensor replaced on my mk2 and it solved the problem. also I started to use my spare key as a low battery in the key fob can cause immobiliser problems

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
How much was the coil pack and sensor? It's not really a problem as my car only ever does long trips, not much driving like that at all.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed

yes iirc :rolleyes: I had coil pack and lambda sensor replaced on my mk2 and it solved the problem. also I started to use my spare key as a low battery in the key fob can cause immobiliser problems

Try another key...see if the issue is key related...if not, at least you can take that out of the equation. I have 4 keys for my car...3 have immobilisers/fobs...the 4th is just a copy because I had my ignition barrel replaced under warranty. Out of the 4 keys, I can only start the car with 1...the other 3 don't start the car!!!!

what does it do when you try and start it, does it sound like the battery is low (i am not about to tell you its the battery thats gone) i have a simliar problem and the only way i solve it is by getting someone to push it when i pop the clutch and make the engine turn over, and then wala its starts as it would normally. Edde was telling someone else a tip that you should leave it in reverse and rock the car round a bit but i havent tryed this myself :)
Wouldn't ty this on a DIC try bump starting an 18.1 to 1 CR engine isn't easy.

Not sure what tip that was for sounds like a trick to knock the starter motor around so it works.

I've searched, but my prob seems to be, car starts cold fine, starts warm fine, but if you say drive it for ages, then turn of engine for say 30 seconds while nipping into a shop, it won't start, have to do a few attempts.
Does it start and sound like its got the power to start? Most likly its the TDC sensor acting up.
How much was the coil pack and sensor? It's not really a problem as my car only ever does long trips, not much driving like that at all.

Coil packs £40 or so

TDC sensor is now a new design with a new wiring total cost is £50 £25 for the sensor £25 for the loom much better design.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Yeah has the powrer to start, it turns over fine. Just doesn't sound like it's "firing"

80MPG BEEZA
i had this problem took more to start when the engine was hot, i've replaced the plugs and coil pack and its firing everytime but still not straight away when its warm so i'd say tdc sensor, i wanna change mine but about baffled on how to wire it into the loom?

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Mine used to do this all the time, she would start fine from cold but once warmed up i'd have to try a few times. Mike a Rentech sorted it out ages ago, and she's been fine ever since.

99% tdc sensor. when you now purchase from renault you also get a new connector block and loom with 2 heatshrink terminals which needs to replace the connector off the origonal
loom. done lots of them.

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5

Low battery in the key cannot cause immobiliser problems. The RFID chip in the key is a passive device until it is placed next to the reader then it receives a charge from the RF emitted by the reader which charges a chip capacitor which powers it up and it transmits the coded signal back to the reader.
It will work even if you take the battery out of your key, that only powers up the remote locking transmitter part of the key.

I would start by checking the fuel lift pump and the return pipe.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Decided to finally fix this prob :) the TDC is the thing sticking out the top of the cat?

Megane
if you can get it to a garage for a diagnostic thats the best thing to do, if not try the tdc sensor, cant say it will fix the problem but very common fitted two today.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
if you can get it to a garage for a diagnostic thats the best thing to do, if not try the tdc sensor, cant say it will fix the problem but very common fitted two today.

For the price i'll give it a go, and the diagnostics thing would cost me, where is the TDC sensor located?

Da

Less
iirc TDC sensor isn't in the CAT, it's on the right hand side of the engine down just above the gear box.

Megane
The TDC sensor is above the gearbox its a butterfly shaped sensor. i believe you may have to remove the air box to get to it on the sports

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Ok thanks, i'll get yozza to sort it when i have me service in the near future :)