ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

yey or ney

A well built VW

Bottom one does look good but is it worth it for the dosh ???? At the end of the day matey its your car and you got to look at it every day what would you prefer ??

A well built VW

Think McBunny hit the nail on the head - most people wont notice £200 is a lot of money for such an inconspicious mod , im sure you can find something better to spend the money on

Quote: Originally posted by dutty_112 on 29 March 2005
na i would leave it n get a172 gril n mesh the bottom, thats wot im doin with mine :)

looks cheap and tacky on the clio, leave it black plastic, far better

E60 diesel powah

^^ nothin ther mate? Byran, im doin mine like JillyBs, check her thread out..made me change my mind about it!!

are you not at risk of the front bumper cracking, apparently they flex while driving so the smoothed bumper might crack. i put a post in the exterior bit about it. people said it will crack. so im just goin for colour coding, i really like the look of that smoothed bumper though, if you get it done let me no how the finished result turns out.

"Navy" N17 TWO

Quote: Originally posted by Bryan on 29 March 2005

Quote: Originally posted by dutty_112 on 29 March 2005

na i would leave it n get a172 gril n mesh the bottom, thats wot im doin with mine :)

looks cheap and tacky on the clio, leave it black plastic, far better

Already got the grill sorted - MS Design one going on (like AJRs)

Dave - yeah I know that thread - It was me who told you that smoothing could crack :oops:

Id realy like to get it done if I knew it wouldnt go pear-shaped!

Boydie had his old dynamique smoothed and said he had no problems with it - he cracked the splitter but only because of a big pothole :confused:

i might ring the renault approved body shop and see what they say.

i want to get it done, but just ordered the front bumper inserts in primer from renault.

mr sheep, how much is that front bumper?

dutty - ive seen jillys car in real life, no need to check the pictures or thread

i still dont like it, just a personal thing i guess, but seeing as no-one else has done it, i would guess that not many others liek the mod either

320d

Dont think its worth it mate

Think how many miles worth of petrol you can buy for the diesel with that £200

I think a panel beater for the bonnet is more urgent job!

Mk2 Golf GTI

Looks good, and if you do a load of other subtle mods it would look mint. They all add up instead of having ugly f**k off kits on them.

BUT, you should only do it if you are changing the plastic grille at the bottom too, it looks awful. You should get some of the MG ZR style mesh painted black in its place. Not the cheap chicken-wire stuff though.

But if it was my car i would just get a 172/182 front bumper and wings as they look real nice and aggressive

"Navy" N17 TWO

172 front-end conversion is a bit too expensive :cry:

anyway - what is the point in spending all that £££ to mke your car unique if you fork it out on a std reno bumper just to look like a different model?

Why not modify your own bumper to your own taste?

I would really love to know wether the smoothing would crack or not :confused:

Do the strips need to be taken out to smooth the bumper, or are they smoothed in while still fitted as they are?

The lower grill may not be easy to change into mesh but the upper one is being replaced with the MS Design grill very soon

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

stil looking for the p list for the bumper.

i think its sub £200 just as its listed with the renault kit and adds 200 to the whole kits price from £500 to £700 ish

part number to follow today.

"Navy" N17 TWO

Cheers mr sheep!

is it the same as the 172 bumper? cant realy see the bottom of it too well in that pic :confused:

"Navy" N17 TWO

My hesitant litle mind is swaying that way Tom_16v! Prob just get my skirts instead. (along with the rest of the stuff on my 1st post ;))

Went to the local bodyshop yesterday to ask about doing it - was told its a 50/50 chance of cracking.:confused: He said it would be stronger though if the strip was taken out and filled in and then smoothed rather than just smoothing it over.

I asked which of the Koncept skirts are best (k-tec/prima/reiger) - had the reiger ones in my hand yesterday, they are like rubber! very heavy duty stuff. The rest are all plastic/fibreglass copies.

Im going to leave it, get my Koncept skirts (maybe later on Ill get a cheap bumper from a breakers and play with it for the front)

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

Quote: Originally posted by trevq on 30 March 2005

Cheers mr sheep!

is it the same as the 172 bumper? cant realy see the bottom of it too well in that pic :confused:

nope its totally differnt design (but obviously is still similar)

ok think the part number is 77 11 218 499 and the price is £175

what product is used to smooth front bumpers? im thinking of gettin a really cheap one off ebay or from a breakers yard and giving it ago my self!

"Navy" N17 TWO

thanks mr sheep - any other pics of that bumper going around?

AJR - I know - the expensive reiger skirts are pretty good - for an extra £70-80 I think they are worth it (like rubber and wont break :D)

Davehughes- Its the MS-Design - same as AJRs

"Ah-hem!" best pic i have of the grill as mines not fitted yet - best pic I have of AJRs wagon! ;) love it

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/ClioSport_Trev/Crail05.jpg

D4ve F - not sure what is used to fill/smooth the bumper - anyone know? and where you get it from?

Punto/Clio GTT

Quote: Originally posted by D4ve F on 30 March 2005

what product is used to smooth front bumpers? im thinking of gettin a really cheap one off ebay or from a breakers yard and giving it ago my self!

most places will just slap in some fibreglass to fill the holes/recesses, then skim it with filler to get it smooth... primer.. paint.

IMO to smooth a bumper properly and HIGHLY reduce it from cracking (as bumpers flex quite a lot) is plastic weld as much as possible. you can buy actual plastic welding kits with plastic sticks in which are awesome. alternatively you can use a hot air gun and an old flat ended screwdriver. heat the bumper up where its gotta be smoothed, and drag the screw driver along it so the bumper actually becomes one piece. dont worry about makin a mess, just make sure its a solid 1 piece bumper.

trim any high bits of plastic off when its dried, then you can simply apply your filler without using fibreglass. this, again IMO, is the best way to smooth a bumper in with the least chance it will crack in future.

Punto/Clio GTT

isit one of them big plastic inserts or actual part of the bumper?

if its a big insert then yea could do it no probs.. would just be finding the same shaped grille to fit the gap, or big enough so you can cut it down yourself