ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Yo techy heads!!

right...... although the speedos on a 16v clio 1994 are not actually electronic. do they (being speedo and tacho) still have electronic signals to them fom the ecu or are they purley mechanical??

so can i take a tapping off them for signals of speed and revs, if i was to sat add another reader/meter. ??

cheers peeps....

i know you can with the revs,

ask Cliocup, hes the expert on this sort of thing, and also ask him if that was him co-driving on the KAs on Rally UK TV programme, with a bloke called stiggy or something?

The speedo is mechanical but you can get a adaptor to turn it into signals cos my mates got a rt with digital clocks out of the astra gte in it.

Can you find out off your mate more about what this adaptor is and how to get one?

Also did he do the dash conversion himself? Any details?

Cheers

Right then lads,

There is a signal from the ECU that goes to the rev counter to give you the display. Im not sure exactly how the dial itself works but it is digital.

The wire goes from the ECU into the ignition pack then out into the loom and to the dash.

I spliced into the wire just after the ignition pack (black box with two connectors on the inside of the left turrett). I will check which one it is, i cant remember of hand.

The signal is a frequency not a voltage so you need to condition it using an LM2917 chip (easily available from Maplins, RS etc. as is a whole ciruit board and component list). Then feed the output of this into an LM3914 which drives up to 10 LEDs (can do 20 but 10s enough).

I have an orange LED for idle, 7 greens and 2 reds but you can have any combination. You set it up with a variable resistor or 2 and get it hitting red just before the limiter.

You can by all the bits you need for about £10-15 from electronics suppliers.

And yes Lofty, that was me and Wiggy on TV again, and I bloody missed it! Which rally was it? The Trackrod? Should be good next week, the Tempest rally well get loads of coverage and hopefully our interviews will be shown!