ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Young drivers in fast cars

I know there are hundreds of threads on insurance prices on rs's so im trying to make it more specific. Im 18 coming up to 19, with a years no claims, and looking at getting a 172/182 in the near future. Got enough for the car but all the quotes am getting are more than the car itself and am not willing to pay this, but i know some people manage it.

So basically the question im asking you guys is if you are 18 or 19 how much are you paying for your insurance on a 172 or 182, and is that fully comp/third party, are you main driver? I just dont understand where people in the same position of mine get "more" sensible quotes from

SG9 Forester STi
Unfortunately it's just one of those things that you're unlikely to get a better quote until you're over 20. ALthough saying that I'm paying £1500 and I'm 21 :(

S4 Avant
The trouble here is, you're 18.

If you don't want to pay £4000+ you'll have to wait a few more years.

The people who cough up the money on insurance for a 1*2 at 17/18 have more money than sense.

The trouble here is, you're 18.

If you don't want to pay £4000+ you'll have to wait a few more years.

The people who cough up the money on insurance for a 1*2 at 17/18 have more money than sense.

very true, there is no way am going to pay anything near that, i just thought that not all the people at 18/19 that have an rs one would be daft enough to pay out that much on insurance, maybe i was wrong though.

M2 / Golf GTI
Paid 1600 on a ek9 at 19. Postcode means alot, put your parents on as a named driver with you as main driver, tends to drop it a bit.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
My insurance when i was 21 was 800ish with 0NCB, Good postcode FTW.

Only way is to just spend a day fillling in the the forms for every insurance company there is untill you find one, don't use price comparison sites.

Drew.

ClioSport Club Member
i found it to be more expensive to be third party up until you get old (25) then things start to calm down, adrian flux (460) tpf, just a case of if you can afford it at 18/19-ok- lucky you btw, just dont crash or get points, again build up YOUR no claims (not your mums or a family member) will make running a hot hatch more managable later on. tesco was the best when i was 18 etc, wasnt running a 172 mind. good luck. +1 for no on comparison websites and also ring em'.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
^^^ I disagree, insurance is so much cheaper at 21 i don't see the point in wasting £1ks building up no claims till your 21.

Drew.

ClioSport Club Member
yeah i see what your saying, but if you could build up no claims running a 1.0 fiesta pop and then at 21 go to insurance with 2ncb its gonna be better than nothing. but to run a 172 is probably better as named driver at 18/19. i only just afford it now lol.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I had a 1.2 corsa at 18, on my own name i couldn;t get anything under 1k, on my dads it was £330.

So i could insure it for 3 years for the price of 1 years, no brainer IMO.

I was 18 when I had my 172, 2 months off being 19 years old.

Me as main driver
Mum and Aunt as second and third drivers
3 points
1 years ncb
Licence held for 1 year and 9 months
Either the best or second best postcode category, can't remember exactly

Fully comp - £2000 with Elephant. They've been cheapest for me with all my Clios 1.2, 172 and 200.

Drew.

ClioSport Club Member
I had a 1.2 corsa at 18, on my own name i couldn;t get anything under 1k, on my dads it was £330.

So i could insure it for 3 years for the price of 1 years, no brainer IMO.

yeah thats exactly what i did, just saying if you've the diposable lying around to do it then its got to help later on

Italian 3.2 V6
Google what your postcode area is, see what band it is. As said above it's a BIG factor in insurance premiums.

PSJ.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
yeah thats exactly what i did, just saying if you've the diposable lying around to do it then its got to help later on

But it doesn't?

Own isnurance from 18-21 would probs cost over £3, if not nearer £4k.

On parents would cost £900ish for the 3 years.

When you hit 21 your inrsurance is not going to be £2100 cheaper because you have 3 years NCB.

My insurance has gone down about £300 now i'm 25 from when i was 21, so my 3 years NCB have saved me £300, not alot TBH

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
^^^ I disagree, insurance is so much cheaper at 21 i don't see the point in wasting £1ks building up no claims till your 21.

Spot on mate!
Clio 1.2 for 3 year on my name would of been around 3k
Clio 1.2 for 3 year on my dads name was about £280 a year (800 over 3 year)

At 21 i had to pay 1300 on my 182 on my own, if i had those 3 year no claims id be 2200 out of pocket, would of saved what, maybe 3/400 if i was lucky on my 1st year owing my 182

None
I'm a super clean driver with 17 years exp and 7 years ncb but even brentacre and flux can only do me a £600 quote........cause i live in bradford :mad:

Drew.

ClioSport Club Member
fair enough, its just a shame you cant build up no claims and be better rewarded for not crashing from 18 to when you get to 21.

None
Insurance companies are losing money hand over fist lately so unfortunately even older clean drivers have to suffer at the moment so the companies can try and claw back some money from all the claims made they have to pay out for.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I was on my mums policy for my first 1.5 years (cost about 500 a year i think). Then one day I decided enough was enough and took out my own insurance.

Then 9 months later swapped to the clio which without 1 years ncb i wouldnt have been able to renew for a sensible price to be honest. Renewed last year @ 19 for £1300, got mates paying the same for slow crap cars.

I found the performance/group didnt make much difference really, you just had to shop around different companies than what you would with a 1.4

Evo 8 MR
iirc The Boosh got his RB 182 insured for just less than £2,000 @ 19.

When I was 19 I was so stupid and inexperienced I'm glad I couldn't afford to pay those sort of prices.

( I was even worse than Jamie. [jesus])

Titanium 182

When I was 19 I was so stupid and inexperienced I'm glad I couldn't afford to pay those sort of prices.

At 19 I paid £1050 f.c (under my own name) for a 172.

Postcode makes a massive difference, also helped that I had a couple of year no claims under my belt!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I paid 1400 i think when i was 19. Now 23 and i think it was 300 or so on the 172 when i had it. Mildly more for the V6.

polo, here for lols
really i never thought that postcode would make a difference, put it this way i live in a quiet village, not much trouble so i would think it would be a low risk area

same as me mate, its the town next to me thats a shitter!! Thats what raises the price on my area by a fair bit.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
same as me mate, its the town next to me thats a shitter!! Thats what raises the price on my area by a fair bit.

I have that problem, town next to me is Bradford (soon to overtake manchester as one of the worst place's for car claims!) and that puts mine up a bit.

You're the bad one with your chavvy exhaust! :rasp:

I'm paying £1659 with Brentacre, at 21 with 1 year ncb with the 'worst' postcode catagory possible. That's on a modified policy, try it.

Vaxhall Zafira
Add your mum, I added mine as a named driver on my V6 and saved me £300!

Apparently, women are safer drivers or something...

S'trollin on size 7s
im from Bradford, well Baildon ,its just on the outskirts and ive just got a quote from Brentacre for £850 plus £63 for breakdown cover n thts TPFT with 4 years no claims at 23 years old, Adrian Flux gave me a better quote until they bummed me over and increased it by £215 over the sake of the weekend! so looks like its brentacre for me!

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
OH HIA

r26 all mods declared in the centre of manchester post code for £1995

FTW

R34 GT-R & 172 Cup
Im having a big problem with insurance so much im doing pass plus lol. 19 next month paid at the age of 17 turning 18 on my 172 £1.500 come this year its £1.700 so gone up £200 i would be happy to pay that but the company wants an extra £1,000 to do pay monthly. So now waiting till im 19 gona try and insure then if not bye bye clio. Btw if i could go back to when i was 17 i would of got a banger of a car. But at 17 and your driving around in a 2.0L makes you smile when your mates are in 1.2 corsas.

I've just passed a year of driving, am 18 and have 2yncb through a policy with LV. Live in a group B postcode according to this - http://www.carinsuranceexplained.com/car_insurance_explained/insurance_postcode_risk.htm

Tried getting insured on a £4500 182 and the lowest I could get through comparison websites was £4950 F/C. the worst was £27k but we wont go into that!
I think a lot of people just strike lucky with the system but otherwise it's probably not going to happen until 21 mate