ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Your 2016 Game of the Year

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Tough one really.

I've just finished Rise of the Tombraider, which is technically a year or so old but it's only come out on the PS4 this year. Really enjoyed it and is probably up there for contender.

Uncharted is an obvious contender, I did enjoy it but I really wish they would just concentrate on the campaign as I've always found their multiplayer a bit crap tbh.

I've still got Witcher 3 which I need to start (managed to c**k up a few of the first missions/quests so started again)

DOOM. I really enjoyed it but gave up halfway through - again, one I need to go back to. Did enjoy the MP though, fast paced fun.

Battlefield 1 - I've not played it enough to give it consideration, the MP side is decent and the campaign looks really good from the could of levels I've played.

Steep - picked this up earlier this month. It's a good looking game but I'm bored of it already. I should have waited for it to go half price before getting it :weary:

I've had loads through the PS+ subscription but I've just not had time to play many of them g most of them are individually games too.

OlliOlli was alright though and is one I've probably played the most. Edit G just noticed I posed about this in the 2015 thread.

Overall from my list, it'll have to be Rise of the Tombraider.

Evo 5 RS
Best Multiplayer: Battlefield 1 (honourable mentions: Titanfall 2, Overwatch)
Best Single Player: Dishonored 2 (honourable mentions: Uncharted 4, Deus Ex Mankind Divided)
Best Story: Batman A Telltale Series (honourable mentions: Firewatch)
Best DLC: The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine (honourable mentions: Overwatch Christmas DLC)

Other mentions: DOOM

Biggest disappointment: Mafia 3

Was looking forward to but turned out to be simply OK Award: Rise of the Tomb Raider

Game that I've only just picked up in the sales and turned out to be pretty good: Need For Speed.

Too many. On Steam, 64% of games came out in the last 2 years or so. Loads of stuff that's probably worth mentioning - but you would be here all day.

Last edited:
  Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Tbh I've enjoyed Forza Apex the most, closely followed by Deus Ex Mankind Divided. That said, I haven't been playing much this year due to the house move and various things.

BG Clio 182
I really enjoyed dead rising 4 to be fair.

I think battlefield was the best online game, and I think MWR will be excellent too. When I get it tomorrow that is haha@

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Don't think I've had a game this year where I've put silly hours into it (except EVE Online, but that's pretty much every year)

It would have been Planet Coaster, but I was disappointed by the final product

Evo 5 RS
Don't think I've had a game this year where I've put silly hours into it (except EVE Online, but that's pretty much every year)

It would have been Planet Coaster, but I was disappointed by the final product

Mate says Planet Coaster lacks any real management elements. Just a big dumb sandbox.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I think Titanfall 2 would take it for me. Horizon 3 is easily where I spent most time but Titanfall 2 is just so good.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Tbh I've enjoyed Forza Apex the most, closely followed by Deus Ex Mankind Divided. That said, I haven't been playing much this year due to the house move and various things.
I very nearly pulled the trigger on Deus Ex a couple of days ago. Takedown myself out of it but if it really is this good I may buckle and go for it after all.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Fallout 4 for me. I've fallen away from it recently but when I was into it that's all I could think about was to get more and more game time in

Close between dirt rally and horizon 3 for me. Horizon probably gets it for being easier to pick up and play.
Could of been better award The Division.
Mafia 3 hands down gets disappointment of the year.

Goliath I
F1 2016. Racing games seem to be only genre that doesn't seem to quickly bore on me as of late. This years F1 game has been a massive improvement, with the developers listening to players and delivering a great game. Ploughed massive amount of hours into it.

Maybe if I'd bought a few other games something else may have made the list.

RS Clio 182
Yeah,my personal favourite would have to be F12016 - they made big strides with the career,and how interesting & strategic the races are. CM listened to us for once. Although im still bitter about being sacked at Force India after Baku,being reigning champion aswell haha.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
For me, it's probably Wasteland 2. Although strictly not a 2016 game, the 'final' release of it with the revised graphics engine was started by me, this year.

It remained true to the original format of WL1. Added dialogue to characters that you actually cared for and had a story that was involving. I really like games where virtually impossible odds at one point, can be returned to for a much fairer fight later on. The fact that you had some serious ethical decisions to make during the game, also added to its impact for me. The fact that I've pumped over $100 into the preorder for WL3, must speak for something, too! :cool:

A very close 2nd place has been DiRT Rally. My racing game of choice at the minute.

As for disappointment (well, let-down is probably more apt) - I'd have to say DOOM. It's been a long time since I've had a game installed that I just wish would hurry-the-f*ck-up and get completed, or get deleted - it is consuming 80GB+ of valuable SSD space. For a quick arcade mode blast - it's enjoyable. The campaign however, is an example of great ideas, but poor execution. The weedy weapons. The ammo usage on par with ten firing miniguns at once. The over-reliance of special firing modes. The trigger-points for enemies usually happening in a cut-off map the size of a backyard. The list goes on. It's a frustrating if good-looking game to play and comes with perhaps THE most useless map I can recall in an FPS. Shockingly bad - even when it's 100% revealed. Carnage and bedlam are well represented in the Serious Sam games and Warframe to a certain extent. DOOM doesn't have this. DOOM just makes you want to run & hide... when yet again you emptied all the guns at your disposal.

People who play DOOM on the hardest difficulty are the gaming equivalent of the freaks who have their tackle stamped and mashed down upon by a woman in high heels. It isn't fun. It isn't pleasurable. It's just tortious, lingering and repetitive agony.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
I thought it was alright, I never liked any of the previous games from the franchise... I didn't play it much though, as I was still headlong into Destiny. Might dig it back out.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Still haven't bought that, think it's on sale though.. worth it? I've not played a Tomb Raider game since maybe the third one
The previous TR game was the only one I completed - even going as far back as the original PS1 days.

It was a brilliant game, but more because it struck a chord with me with its background story and setting.

The current game clearly follows a similar mould. Once I get my head around the rather cumbersome interface when using K&M - I'll get back on with it!

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Halo 5, just about tops BF1 for FPS IMO but they are both very different and great fun in their own right.

FM6 is worth a shout too but I'll always be a big fan of these games as they are the only real decent driving game on the Xbox.

Although both released last year I've not really played anything else other than BF1 and Horizon 3.

Edit, looks like I said the same last year too lol. Maybe something new will come out in 2017 to really grab me.. FM7 most likely 😂

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Not technically released in 2016 but I'm usually late to the party. (Plus I gave it to Dirt Rally last year and they both deserve to be GOTY)

Gotta be Project Cars.
20161028204416_1.png

It's not the most accurate simulator I've ever driven, but it's good enough that, when something goes wrong, I find myself blaming the fickleness of the car, not the inaccuracy of the sim (when of course it's actually my fault!). The graphics are gorgeous, the sound is addictive and the selection of cars and tracks is great. PCars2 is on it's way and I can't wait.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Don't play Tomb Raider with M&K. You'll ruin it.
It can do. But no pad matches the accuracy and scoping of enemies for the bow than K&M.

Just a shame the ammo type changes are far less fluid. They should be slick and immediate - something that has clearly been honed for a pad only.