ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Yozzasport (PF97) Brake Experience

dk

911 GTS Cab
Right, now I have been using the Yozzasport Brake kit of Standard Brembo Discs and Performance Friction 97 pads and I thought I would let you know about how I got on as I have now had them changed.

I will start with a positive, if you want brakes with very good stopping power and thats all you are bothered about then these are for you!

Unfortunately, my experience starts to go down from here. I was unfortunate enough to go through a set of brakes (pads and discs) at Oulton Park last year but fortunate enough to have Yoz, Fred and Andy (GDi) on hand to help fit a new set of pads and discs for me and the only ones available were the Yozzasport setup so I really didn't have much choice but I was promised they were very good so went for it, and they are very good brakes!

I started to have problems with the pads, they were overheating just from driving on the motorway and because they had been fitted without the correct tools as it was onsite at Oulton without anyone prepared I thought it may be a fitting issue so I had them refitted.

I continued to have heat problems including quite loud noises at times on the motorway from the overheating and they were squealing like mad at low speeds, all things I could put up with really as the performance outweighed the negatives at this point.

The main problem I have with them are that they have ruined my wheels and my paint is not having a good time either down the side of the car. Basically the brake dust these produce is something out of this world, it is unbelievable. THe dust sticks to the wheels like nothing else and if it is left on there for more than 2 weeks is impossible to remove from the corners after trying everything on the market. Its now come to the point where my two front wheels have been damaged and will need refurbing due to me having to work so hard on them that i have gone through the laquer on the wheel. The backs are also suffering as the dust reaches them and on the way covers the side of the car in dust which means that every time i wash the car I have to polish the dust off as meerly washing it doesn't work!

I spend up to 4 hours each time i wash the wheels which is normally once a fortnight, can't leave it any longer than that!

So anyway, i've had enough now, I had some Renault pads fitted yesterday morning to make me a happier man again and they are fantastic, nearly as powerful as the PF but not as bity and inconsistent and I know the dust will be easy to get off and won't ruin the wheels anymore!

And it was lucky i did have them replaced as the pads on one side were only 1.5 mm thick after just 6 months and 8k miles so didn't last anywhere near as long as i thought they would! I thought they were going to be hard wearing and they didn't even do any trackdays, it was mostly motorway driving!

So in conclusion, they were amazing stopping power, loved the sparks in the dark but were not worth the upkeep and ruining a set of wheels and 4 hrs of my weekend solely on them. If this wouldn't bother you though, they are well worth the money!

Clio 197
:(

It's a shame Dave...

Have you not tried them with Renault discs? (there's a theory folating around that it's the discs that are causing the dust problem)

2 x standard front discs
2 x standard front pads

£98.61 inc Vat

Euro Car Parts in Smethwick, Birmingham.

Tel: 0121 555 55 88

That's what i've got.

dk

911 GTS Cab
MarkCup said:
I will be next time I need some, hope they're as good as you say they are David :D
yes they are as long as you have a set of wheels on that you don't mind damaging without hours of care each week.

Didn't get a chance to try them on track which was a shame but on the road I could brake stupidly late onto roundabouts

dk

911 GTS Cab
omar said:
:(

It's a shame Dave...

Have you not tried them with Renault discs? (there's a theory folating around that it's the discs that are causing the dust problem)
no i haven't mate, didn't really get the chance plus it would have been even more money, tbh, i am really happy with the setup i now have of the renault pads and brembo discs, works very well.

Just hope now you have said that that i don't still have the dust problem by keeping the brembo discs!

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z
Another satisfied customer lol. My PF experience was very similar Dave!! Cost me alot of money really....had to have my paint work professionally renovated twice thanks to the dust issue. Not really impressed. They should be sold as a track only application imho!

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
mmmm the renault ones are poo, they over heat very fast and disk warp with ease, the pads you have there sound like a de fect batch, there are very very good pads and disks and are hard to fault, if your driving through town then you will not need this set up or if you blast the car once or twice a week! but if the car is hard driven and the pads are worked then you will out stop on a hard drive any stock disks and pads, it all depends what you want from the car, i drive mine hard and try to go for a hard blast most nights and te only thing thats winding me up is my stock set up

dk

911 GTS Cab
ben_p said:
mmmm the renault ones are poo, they over heat very fast and disk warp with ease, the pads you have there sound like a de fect batch, there are very very good pads and disks and are hard to fault, if your driving through town then you will not need this set up or if you blast the car once or twice a week! but if the car is hard driven and the pads are worked then you will out stop on a hard drive any stock disks and pads, it all depends what you want from the car, i drive mine hard and try to go for a hard blast most nights and te only thing thats winding me up is my stock set up
i agree and i don't jsut pootle around town, mine is driven very hard and has been on many track days, just not with these brakes but i have been working them very hard, and i never faulted the performance of them, they are fantastic, its all the other sh1t that goes with them that p1ssed me off, i agree with gary, they should be track only pads!

Oh and as for the renault ones being poo, they certainly aren't with the ones i have, compared the PF there is only a slight difference, not much though, still cery good stopping power but maybe not for tracking it, but i spend more time on the road than i do a track so i'd rather have the best of both worlds really.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
dave182 said:
Right, now I have been using the Yozzasport Brake kit of Standard Brembo Discs and Performance Friction 97 pads and I thought I would let you know about how I got on as I have now had them changed.

I will start with a positive, if you want brakes with very good stopping power and thats all you are bothered about then these are for you!

Unfortunately, my experience starts to go down from here. I was unfortunate enough to go through a set of brakes (pads and discs) at Oulton Park last year but fortunate enough to have Yoz, Fred and Andy (GDi) on hand to help fit a new set of pads and discs for me and the only ones available were the Yozzasport setup so I really didn't have much choice but I was promised they were very good so went for it, and they are very good brakes!

I started to have problems with the pads, they were overheating just from driving on the motorway and because they had been fitted without the correct tools as it was onsite at Oulton without anyone prepared I thought it may be a fitting issue so I had them refitted.

I continued to have heat problems including quite loud noises at times on the motorway from the overheating and they were squealing like mad at low speeds, all things I could put up with really as the performance outweighed the negatives at this point.

The main problem I have with them are that they have ruined my wheels and my paint is not having a good time either down the side of the car. Basically the brake dust these produce is something out of this world, it is unbelievable. THe dust sticks to the wheels like nothing else and if it is left on there for more than 2 weeks is impossible to remove from the corners after trying everything on the market. Its now come to the point where my two front wheels have been damaged and will need refurbing due to me having to work so hard on them that i have gone through the laquer on the wheel. The backs are also suffering as the dust reaches them and on the way covers the side of the car in dust which means that every time i wash the car I have to polish the dust off as meerly washing it doesn't work!

I spend up to 4 hours each time i wash the wheels which is normally once a fortnight, can't leave it any longer than that!

So anyway, i've had enough now, I had some Renault pads fitted yesterday morning to make me a happier man again and they are fantastic, nearly as powerful as the PF but not as bity and inconsistent and I know the dust will be easy to get off and won't ruin the wheels anymore!

And it was lucky i did have them replaced as the pads on one side were only 1.5 mm thick after just 6 months and 8k miles so didn't last anywhere near as long as i thought they would! I thought they were going to be hard wearing and they didn't even do any trackdays, it was mostly motorway driving!

So in conclusion, they were amazing stopping power, loved the sparks in the dark but were not worth the upkeep and ruining a set of wheels and 4 hrs of my weekend solely on them. If this wouldn't bother you though, they are well worth the money!

Why is this a big suprise to you....!

PF97 pads are trackpads, yes great performance but yes side effects. Its no different if you use DS3000 again track pads...it due to them being ferrious material.

It you want less agressive pads buy them, for example DS2500, no where near as much dust even on the brembo discs. The renault pads will disintergrate on a trackday but it all what you use the car for.

Yozza supplies all types of pads so i dont think its a Yozzasport issue just a poor pad selection decision.

Btw over heating was im sure a fitment issue either that or your cup was carrying gold bullion in the boot. As they wont fade...

Audi A6 (S3 on order)
Evo, you'll lose your head up the YS ass one of these days..

Kit was initially sold/forced down peoples necks as a fast road/track kit and was quicly recategorised as track when a few people complained. Woops.

EVOgone said:
Yozza supplies all types of pads so i dont think its a Yozzasport issue just a poor pad selection decision.

Btw over heating was im sure a fitment issue either that or your cup was carrying gold bullion in the boot. As they wont fade...
I'm not sure but I think Yozza only had then in the car at the track so they were the ones which went on.
Dave has a 182 Cup, the reason his brakes failed was probably down to the fact that there was no brake bleeder at the track day and the fluid was probably cooked anyway.
These pads and the ds3500s seem a bit to hard core for most people especailyl when there the 2500's which are much better.
Aftermarket calipers are the way forward ;-).
Stock pads arn't bad though especailly when you think there designed to work for everyone with no nasty dust etc.

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
I've been running just the PF97 pads on the standard renault discs on my Trophy up until the last few weeks and I have to say the dust was reduced a lot, but so was the braking performance. They didn't bite anywhere near as well and on track fade seemed to come on earlier (although the pads were getting quite thin at this point so its hard to say).

I'd agree though Dave, the dust is unbelievably stubborn stuff. People i've told about it usually reply with you should wax the wheels and then it will just wash / wipe off. They really dont understand!

I decided to try some Fairy Powerspray as recommended by Fred on my Turini's this weekend. Not wanting to take too much of a risk I only left it on there for about 5 minutes rather than the 30 thats suggested, and I have to say a lot of the welded on dust in the corners did simply scratch off with a finger nail! I think this stuff may be the answer, although I dont know if I dare use it very regularly.

If you do trackdays quite alot then this is definitely the brake setup to have, they just perform brilliantly lap after lap without those scary soft pedal moments.

If your mostly just after a fast road setup, and perhaps might do the odd trackday then your probably better off going for something like the DS2500's. The standard Renault pads and discs are very good from new, but I've found once I've done a trackday on them they then become rubbish on the road, probably due to the pads glazing.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
edde said:
I'm not sure but I think Yozza only had then in the car at the track so they were the ones which went on.
Dave has a 182 Cup, the reason his brakes failed was probably down to the fact that there was no brake bleeder at the track day and the fluid was probably cooked anyway.
These pads and the ds3500s seem a bit to hard core for most people especailyl when there the 2500's which are much better.
Aftermarket calipers are the way forward ;-).
Stock pads arn't bad though especailly when you think there designed to work for everyone with no nasty dust etc.

Edde you know me very well and have experience with lots of pads on the cup.

There is no need to do anymore than DS2500 / fluid / SS lines and fitted PROPERLY. Thats where issues will come from.

If you wont a track day car and ultimate performance then PF97/DS3000.

No need for the expence of calipers and i drive the car on track very hard as you know...

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
rmccardal said:
I will when people stop defending a load of crap.

Why are they crap Ross.. PF pads are regarded as one of the best pads available for many car. Dare i say it the EVO too.

They are the choice of the Clio championship....

As stated "all the gear no idea"....

dk

911 GTS Cab
Nik said:
I've been running just the PF97 pads on the standard renault discs on my Trophy up until the last few weeks and I have to say the dust was reduced a lot, but so was the braking performance. They didn't bite anywhere near as well and on track fade seemed to come on earlier (although the pads were getting quite thin at this point so its hard to say).

I'd agree though Dave, the dust is unbelievably stubborn stuff. People i've told about it usually reply with you should wax the wheels and then it will just wash / wipe off. They really dont understand!

I decided to try some Fairy Powerspray as recommended by Fred on my Turini's this weekend. Not wanting to take too much of a risk I only left it on there for about 5 minutes rather than the 30 thats suggested, and I have to say a lot of the welded on dust in the corners did simply scratch off with a finger nail! I think this stuff may be the answer, although I dont know if I dare use it very regularly.

If you do trackdays quite alot then this is definitely the brake setup to have, they just perform brilliantly lap after lap without those scary soft pedal moments.

If your mostly just after a fast road setup, and perhaps might do the odd trackday then your probably better off going for something like the DS2500's. The standard Renault pads and discs are very good from new, but I've found once I've done a trackday on them they then become rubbish on the road, probably due to the pads glazing.
completely agree with you Nik, and i've used powerspray too and it was good but i just left mine 1 or 2 days too long one time and it simply will not come off, no matter what i use, seems much worse when it rains too, guess that helps the brake dust hang around and settle more?

dk

911 GTS Cab
EVOgone said:
Why is this a big suprise to you....!

PF97 pads are trackpads, yes great performance but yes side effects. Its no different if you use DS3000 again track pads...it due to them being ferrious material.

It you want less agressive pads buy them, for example DS2500, no where near as much dust even on the brembo discs. The renault pads will disintergrate on a trackday but it all what you use the car for.

agreed, not a yozzasport problem, mine as i had no brakes and needed to get home and the only pads yozza had were these, and if they didn't ahve the dust problems i would never have changed them or gone back, it simply ruins the experience for road use so i would agree, only really to be used on a track car.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
rmccardal said:
Not the pads, the company. Sheesh, are you that thick ?
we get the point, pleople need to calm down on this site, its there company and it works for a lot of members

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
rmccardal said:

Frankly slagging off companies should not be tolerated on any forum. If you are familiar with the legal system then you may know that individual have been taken to court for liable......for comments made on a car forum.

All due to their immature comments made against a company offering good proven products as the best prices. Do a search and you may just want to stop being immature.

If you continue then i think you should be banned..

dk

911 GTS Cab
yeah, can we keep on topic please, don't want any yozzasport bashing as my problem is not with them, its me and me not getting on with the pads!

Anyone know any good wheel refurbers or any 182 wheels going cheap?????

Ad

MK2 FRS
rmccardal said:

Grow up!! anyone who has met yoz will know he is a decent guy... Id love to know your issue, but that is one for a different time

Ben and EvoGone agreeing on the same thread:eek: :eek:

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
rmccardal said:
Evo, you'll lose your head up the YS ass one of these days..

Ross, I have to say your posts on here over the last few months make you sound like you've already lost your head up the GDI ass.

I have no aleigance to either company, and would gladly buy from either (hey I have group buys going for them both on ClioTrophy.co.uk), but it seems to me you're using the YS and GDI falling out to s l a g them off. Fair enough though you'll know more about what went on than most having spent so much time there, and to be honest I have no interest in knowing what this was all about, but why not get to the point, say whats on your mind, and let us be the judge, or shut up about it.

I have only had excellent service from YS with every purchase, and I'm sure I'd get the same from GDI.

Seeing as this topic is about the YS PF'97 brake kit, then if you can offer me a better performing brake setup for less money than the one YS supply, i'll gladly buy some off you next time. Somehow I think i'll be putting in another order with Yozzasport.

Lionel Richie
Dave firstly appologies, i haven't been keeping upto date! I heard a rumor you had a caliper problem also??

Thankyou for the feedback, much appreciated (good or bad, no one's perfect after all!)

The PF pad range are one of the best in the world, no arguements there (obviously there are people like Endless etc etc but at £700 per axle set of pads i'll pass thanks!)

They are a track pad yes, and it is our mistake for not making it 100% clear initially. But as previously said, it was all we had at Oulton park and you were stuck, i fitted them free of charge in the car park LOL, thats the kind of person i am, always willing to help no matter who you are!

As a form of compensation i'll offer you a full refurb on your wheels at cost price, any good???

kind regards FRED

dk

911 GTS Cab
Fred2001Dynamic said:
Dave firstly appologies, i haven't been keeping upto date! I heard a rumor you had a caliper problem also??

Thankyou for the feedback, much appreciated (good or bad, no one's perfect after all!)

The PF pad range are one of the best in the world, no arguements there (obviously there are people like Endless etc etc but at £700 per axle set of pads i'll pass thanks!)

They are a track pad yes, and it is our mistake for not making it 100% clear initially. But as previously said, it was all we had at Oulton park and you were stuck, i fitted them free of charge in the car park LOL, thats the kind of person i am, always willing to help no matter who you are!

As a form of compensation i'll offer you a full refurb on your wheels at cost price, any good???

kind regards FRED
Fred mate, hopefully you know I have no beef with you or Yoz, I was VERY grateful for you guys helping me out on that day as I really was stuck and don't know what i would have done without you, it really was appreciated!

And i had already decided that i was going to try them anyway at some point, this just pushed me into the decision a little sooner than I had planned thats all, and as i've said over and over again, I have never been disappointed with the performance of them, they were second to none, its just the owner experience that got me, i'm not a big modder like all you guys and when something goes wrong, i have no idea and have to rely on other people, and the dust issue was because i don't want to spend every weekend cleaning my wheels, once every 2-3 weeks is good enough for me thanks, so that was the only thing that killed it for me really, other than that i was happy.

I really just started this thread to let people know what the down side to having the best performing brakes in the world was, not to point blae at anyone as there is no blame.

Oh and i could do with pricing on how much it would cost please to refurb the front two wheels, the dust has got in the corners and won't come off (even with fairy powerspray ;) ) and i have rubbed them so hard that i have gone through the laquer in a couple of places!

thanks again Fred

David

Lionel Richie
yeah no worries mate, i'll send you a price over the next few days (at cost price obviously!)

i know you're not slagging us off, and i apprecite the honnest unbiased opinion! Best way to grow a successful company is to listen to its customers/market base.

we always carry stock of the PF's as they're so popular, i think i need to write a "ownership experience" kinda thing for each pad/kit we sell

regards Fred

dk

911 GTS Cab
Fred2001Dynamic said:
yeah no worries mate, i'll send you a price over the next few days (at cost price obviously!)

i know you're not slagging us off, and i apprecite the honnest unbiased opinion! Best way to grow a successful company is to listen to its customers/market base.

we always carry stock of the PF's as they're so popular, i think i need to write a "ownership experience" kinda thing for each pad/kit we sell

regards Fred
LOL, just been on a fiesta ST forum and they were talking about a guy with Kawasaki green wheels on a low clio in their chat window, so funny that i could tell them i knew who it was, small world eh mate!