ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Yozzasport (PF97) Brake Experience

Clio v6
Sure looks a bit more informative than, these are for track, these are for road maybe, these are for night runs to the chippy with sparks flying.

S2000
AJRMOTORSPORT said:
Don't buy anything off them...Bunch of neds!!! Their based in Helensburgh...Where i live.

I've bought a few things from them. Good prices and never had a problem with them.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
AJRMOTORSPORT said:
Don't buy anything off them...Bunch of neds!!! Their based in Helensburgh...Where i live.

It was for info only on the Pagid pads as their prices are steep......

EVOgone said:
Edde you know me very well and have experience with lots of pads on the cup.

There is no need to do anymore than DS2500 / fluid / SS lines and fitted PROPERLY. Thats where issues will come from.

If you wont a track day car and ultimate performance then PF97/DS3000.

No need for the expence of calipers and i drive the car on track very hard as you know...
I know you Evogone yep and I know you can and do drive the car hard so don't take this the wrong way.
However I'm lazy. How long do 2500's disk and pads last on track etc use? I did a pad change on the Williams as I thought that might have been the cause of my recient braking issues (fixed themselves in the end). Now the cars done the drive to the ring and laps of the ring (OK so I wasn't exactly hard after my first lap) plus the Renault sport day plus some other day I think so about 2.3k or so miles and the pads are about 1/3 to 1/2 worn the disk have no wear on them at all.
Do you think the 2500's will stand up as well with say 30hp more and 150kgs more weight?

Rb 182
Over on the vauxhall forum i frequent (migweb) Mintex 1144's and 1155's are highly regarded as fast-road/track pads respectively

any one using either of these pads on their renaults?

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
edde said:
I know you Evogone yep and I know you can and do drive the car hard so don't take this the wrong way.
However I'm lazy. How long do 2500's disk and pads last on track etc use? I did a pad change on the Williams as I thought that might have been the cause of my recient braking issues (fixed themselves in the end). Now the cars done the drive to the ring and laps of the ring (OK so I wasn't exactly hard after my first lap) plus the Renault sport day plus some other day I think so about 2.3k or so miles and the pads are about 1/3 to 1/2 worn the disk have no wear on them at all.
Do you think the 2500's will stand up as well with say 30hp more and 150kgs more weight?

DS2500 were fitted to 18k old discs and they did 2 ring trips and renaultsport day and 6k of hard road abuse.

Even then i sold them as they were half used to Clart...!

You know me just wanted the best braking and happy to compromise on the dust and wear rate on DS3000 for the track..!

EVOgone said:
DS2500 were fitted to 18k old discs and they did 2 ring trips and renaultsport day and 6k of hard road abuse.

Even then i sold them as they were half used to Clart...!

You know me just wanted the best braking and happy to compromise on the dust and wear rate on DS3000 for the track..!
Ha Ha always the best for you to much dedication.
I don't like cleaning the car even week (or ever few months) therfore I like pads/disk which are easy on wheels and paint.

A Mk2 why would I want a slow car though my Mk1 gets round any track faster than my Mk2 ;-). Mk3's the way forward I think just need to see about a tow bar (waits for the gasps).
Just an idea I've done 56k in the dci in 3 yrs and about 3k in the Williams and that without many track days now I'm more dedicated I recon I'm looking at adveraging 20k a year. I'm bored so here goes some edde Maths

Ds2500 lasting 10k a time that £150 or so.

If 4 pots coversion costs say an extra £250 for the calipers
But I'll last disks and pads 15k (there easier on bits unquestionably) and replacment pads are £44 so cost to replace is £105

Assuming 42k I use the car for (We'll assume stock setup disappear almoast immediatly)

Ds2500's £600

4pots £300 for calipers and brackets (lines are needed for both setups so cost here are the same). Thats £510 plus you can sell the setup for say £100 bringing the cost down to about £400.

Thats a fair saving even if they only last 13k vs 10k the saving is still £90.

Plus for me there less pad changing. I will agree my figures are possible more bias to the 4 pots but that not the intention I justed picked just over 40k as that the number infront of me (unfortunatly not my bank balence).

Be careful with the DS2500. When they come very hot ( track use on fast tracks like Spa-Francorchamps or the Ring ) they start to create carbon dust spots on the disc. Then the brakes and wheels start to vibrate when braking. At this point, discs would need machining to be recovered...

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
edde said:
Ha Ha always the best for you to much dedication.
I don't like cleaning the car even week (or ever few months) therfore I like pads/disk which are easy on wheels and paint.

A Mk2 why would I want a slow car though my Mk1 gets round any track faster than my Mk2 ;-). Mk3's the way forward I think just need to see about a tow bar (waits for the gasps).
Just an idea I've done 56k in the dci in 3 yrs and about 3k in the Williams and that without many track days now I'm more dedicated I recon I'm looking at adveraging 20k a year. I'm bored so here goes some edde Maths

Ds2500 lasting 10k a time that £150 or so.

If 4 pots coversion costs say an extra £250 for the calipers
But I'll last disks and pads 15k (there easier on bits unquestionably) and replacment pads are £44 so cost to replace is £105

Assuming 42k I use the car for (We'll assume stock setup disappear almoast immediatly)

Ds2500's £600

4pots £300 for calipers and brackets (lines are needed for both setups so cost here are the same). Thats £510 plus you can sell the setup for say £100 bringing the cost down to about £400.

Thats a fair saving even if they only last 13k vs 10k the saving is still £90.

Plus for me there less pad changing. I will agree my figures are possible more bias to the 4 pots but that not the intention I justed picked just over 40k as that the number infront of me (unfortunatly not my bank balence).

DS2500 are 80quid...! plus i recon they will last longer than 10k.

Your maths is a bit out.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
olin said:
Be careful with the DS2500. When they come very hot ( track use on fast tracks like Spa-Francorchamps or the Ring ) they start to create carbon dust spots on the disc. Then the brakes and wheels start to vibrate when braking. At this point, discs would need machining to be recovered...

Judder is more likely to be fluid breakdown...Had the same issue as you describe with std fluid.

SS lines and full fluid bleed with Pro race 2000 never had the issues even after lapping the ring then stoping 2/3mins queuing then another lap..

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
BenR said:
fluid breakdown?

more likely to be pad deposition like olin said, and uneven transfer layer.

I have only got those symptoms with trashed discs or pads (min thickness) and after fluid boiling.... then driving the car again. After my fluid change even with trashed discs i have never had this but thrashed pads yes.

Yes pad deposits is common on some cars the EVO is notoriously bad for it but i personally have not come across this in the clio. If std / crap pads are used then this is usually why.

about 90% of the vibrations on brakes in my experience have come from pad deposition when people sit on the brakes after using them, you can clearly see the pad outline on the disc. I have never seen vibration because of fluid, even if it has boiled.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
BenR said:
about 90% of the vibrations on brakes in my experience have come from pad deposition when people sit on the brakes after using them, you can clearly see the pad outline on the disc. I have never seen vibration because of fluid, even if it has boiled.

That is a major reason holding the car on stinking brakes. The fluid thing is straight up happened 2 or 3 times. Upgraded the fluid and never any issues (using the same pads etc), even after sitting in the ring queue for 10min after a fast lap then back on the circuit 4/5times.

Anyways you mustnt be trying hard enough..LOL

Only joking...;-)

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
i managed to get 5000 miles out of some PF's

downside to the summers track sessions was...

melted tire caps
melted caliper seals (desintigrated actually)
cooked wheel paint

i boiled the fluid most track days and it was not left to sit..... no vibrations in other words..... the just got REALLY hot......

I changed my drving style with some advice and it doubled the life of the fluid. and I was no slower on track

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Andy GDI said:
i managed to get 5000 miles out of some PF's

downside to the summers track sessions was...

melted tire caps
melted caliper seals (desintigrated actually)
cooked wheel paint

i boiled the fluid most track days and it was not left to sit..... no vibrations in other words..... the just got REALLY hot......

I changed my drving style with some advice and it doubled the life of the fluid. and I was no slower on track

Need better fluid then if your are boiling it, oh and ditch the 182 wheels as they are made of lead and offer minimal cooling this is probabley a main contributor to your problems.

Vibration happen after you have boiled your fluid it has cooled down then use the car again get some medium hard braking again then due to the reduced properties of the fluid and the air the caliper force is inconsistant.

When i changed / upgraded the fluid it all went away using the same discs and pads.

Boiled fluid results in a spongey pedal thay may or may not come back to normal after being left to cool down. If it doesn't then you need to change the fluid. It can't be the cause judder as its merely pushing the pads on to the disc.

Judder is caused by overheated pads breaking down or in rare circumstances, warped discs.

Not sure how changing the fluid can cure judder other than it might have better heat transfer somehow?? all you're asking of the fluid is that it can cope with the heat the pads are creating.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
c__w said:
Boiled fluid results in a spongey pedal thay may or may not come back to normal after being left to cool down. If it doesn't then you need to change the fluid. It can't be the cause judder as its merely pushing the pads on to the disc.

Judder is caused by overheated pads breaking down or in rare circumstances, warped discs.

Not sure how changing the fluid can cure judder other than it might have better heat transfer somehow?? as all you're asking of the fluid is that it can cope with the heat the pads are creating.

The fluid has broken down and after cooled and can not give consistant / constant force to the piston when it gets to a certain temp. Any pad transfer imperfection on the disc will cause judder. With the fluid new or upgraded then there is a constant force on the piston and then the piston is not easily pushed back / judder etc.

Its way my experiences, changing fluid soved it. I agree that pad material transfer is the main cause of judder but that most likely when you are using pads that are not upto the job.

I can only say whats has worked for me....

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
i cant disagree about the wheels... they dont help.... (yes i know fred that you said this ages ago.... - I just dont want to change them)

i had castrol raceing fluid.... still boiled it.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Andy GDI said:
i cant disagree about the wheels... they dont help.... (yes i know fred that you said this ages ago.... - I just dont want to change them)

i had castrol raceing fluid.... still boiled it.

Im sure using Turinis and keeping your left foot off the brake then you would be fine...;-)

EVOgone said:
The fluid has broken down and after cooled and can not give consistant / constant force to the piston when it gets to a certain temp. Any pad transfer imperfection on the disc will cause judder. With the fluid new or upgraded then there is a constant force on the piston and then the piston is not easily pushed back / judder etc.

Its way my experiences, changing fluid soved it. I agree that pad material transfer is the main cause of judder but that most likely when you are using pads that are not upto the job.

I can only say whats has worked for me....

I suppose that theory makes sense but as you say the route cause of the judder is the pad/disc contact and the boiled fluid shows up any judder even more as there is more pedal travel vs pressure.

I run DS3000s on my 205 and the dust/deposits are harsh on the wheels too but I just accept it from this kind of "aggressive" pad. But it also means that it keeps the discs nice and clean :D

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
c__w said:
I suppose that theory makes sense but as you say the route cause of the judder is the pad/disc contact and the boiled fluid shows up any judder even more as there is more pedal travel vs pressure.

I run DS3000s on my 205 and the dust/deposits are harsh on the wheels too but I just accept it from this kind of "aggressive" pad. But it also means that it keeps the discs nice and clean :D

Rout cause for me was the std fluid (as i changed and was fine with same discs and pads) but for others im sure its poor pads and that melted compound on the disc.

I used DS3000 pads awsome but as you say the dust trashes your wheels....!

AJRMOTORSPORT said:
Are you lot using Dot 2 brake fluid or something!!!! FFS! Stay off the brakes!!!

agree, too much braking and too often.

Std discs and pads have done me fine on track.

c__w said:

Weird, if you asked me without talking about an experience you had, then i would say boiled fluid would dampen the judder from pad deposition because air is more compressable. I think the better fluid solved it because it didnt boil, or didnt boil to the same extent, or maybe you just didnt sit on the brakes when they were hot ;)