ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apple Macbook update tomo?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
There will be a netbook thats why the pricing has been set the way it has.

i really want a macbook, its the 12" powerbook i never had.

6/468 17poo
After seeing the conversion of dollar to pound the prices are way too steeep!!

£950 notes on a computer seems a shed load to me, very big decision!

Citroen DS3 DSport
I cannot understand the price rise at all, £619 would have made sense to me.

£950 is definitely silly money for a laptop.

Two have been ordered :)

Which ones?
2.0? 2.4?

I was thinking of getting the 2.0 if any.. but might go for the 2.4 to get the backlit keyboard.

Altho.. I'm sticking to 2GB RAM and 160GB HDD - really easy to change now.. HDD is under the battery! :)

Won't be for a little while tho.. more expensive than I thought :(
Need to sell some old stuff.. eBay watch out! :p

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

Dude, if only the MBP heat hadn't killed your "Daz Fish"...money in (or from) the bank.

What are Macs like for gaming?

Also, would it be cheaper buying one in the states? Or would the power supply be too much hassle?

I really want a Mac Book Air but not paying £1200 for one

What are Macs like for gaming?

Also, would it be cheaper buying one in the states? Or would the power supply be too much hassle?

I really want a Mac Book Air but not paying £1200 for one

Power supply isn't an issue - Apple use universal power supplies, and you just change the plug.

The main thing which would annoy me is the £ key.. it wouldn't be printed on the 3 (you'd have a # instead) which would be really annoying.. depends if having £ printed over 3 is worth the extra month I guess.

Revels Mum & Sister
Which ones?
2.0? 2.4?

I was thinking of getting the 2.0 if any.. but might go for the 2.4 to get the backlit keyboard.

Altho.. I'm sticking to 2GB RAM and 160GB HDD - really easy to change now.. HDD is under the battery! :)

Revels Mum & Sister
Power supply isn't an issue - Apple use universal power supplies, and you just change the plug.

The main thing which would annoy me is the £ key.. it wouldn't be printed on the 3 (you'd have a # instead) which would be really annoying.. depends if having £ printed over 3 is worth the extra month I guess.

I have a White Macbook I bought from the US. The PSU on them work fine in the UK also the Warranty is worldwide. I saved a LOAD a couple of years back buying a MAcbook in the US

Citroen DS3 DSport
I reckon I'll buy a Dell Mini 9 instead and install Leopard onto it :) £299, small and runs great.

Clio 197
I'm going to order a 2.4

f**k it.

Lol - I'm jealous... I wouldn't mind a graphics card, and a decent metal body.

...I've only just got a 2.4 MB in the old white plastic format (well, 3 months ago or so).

Mind you, I only paid £700 for it.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Just went to the apple store.

Wow, they are ace. I'm going sunday as my MB white needs a recase so i think thats going on ebay come sunday evening.

grrr must resist... have a 1 bed flat so imac is in hallway... do i REALLY need a laptop too for when in living room? ;)

The cost isn't that bad to be honest in comparison to others.
It's expensive in that it's still 1300quid for the laptop spec I'd want, but, if I wanted a Dell, it wouldn't be cheaper/much cheaper.

The main difference is Apple don't sell a low spec laptop.. everyone else does.. therefore you can find a £400 laptop very easily, but it won't be anywhere near the spec of the Apple.. *That's* what makes them look expensive. If you want a 600quid laptop, great.. but it won't be a new Apple.

I've just done a quick comparison with a like-for-like, as much as possible, for a Dell.
I'm not going into the whole "If I ring Dell I can get it cheaper etc etc" as it'll just confuse this test.. instead, I'll just use both web sites. I'm also basing this on the Latitude.. others need not apply :p
I chose Dell because IMO, they make some of the best laptops, for the best price.. so it seems fair. Also, if I bought a laptop, I'd buy either the Latitude E4300 or the Macbook.. so they seem the logical choice to compare.

Comparison:

Dell is a Latitude E4300 (13"), Macbook is a Macbook 13"
Both CPUs 2.4GHz.
Both have 4GB RAM.
Dell only has 200GB HDD, Macbook has 320GB.
Dell only has Mobile Intel® GS45 Express Chipsets, Macbook obviously has the NVIDIA.
Dell has 3Y NBD Warranty, Macbook has standard 1 year.
Dell has Vista Ultimate, Macbook has OSX (Vista Ultimate as that's the closest to the Macbook really)
Dell is a price from dell.co.uk and Apple is from www.apple.com/uk/thestore. (Prices as of 12:16pm, Sunday 19th October).

The Dell, inclusive of VAT and delivery is: £1365.35
The Macbook, inclusive of VAT and delivery is: £1319.01

Bar the warranty, the Apple is better spec throughout. And I'd argue that the warranty cost of the Dell (they don't let you select anything lower than 3Y NBD on their website) is less expensive than the better stuff in the Apple.. so kinda cancels each other out. I've not even started on the web cam, glass trackpad etc.. soo... that puts the Apple a bit further ahead.

Quite an interesting study for us resident geeks ;)

Last edited:
  Monaro VXR
I am seriously considering a getting one of the new macbook pro's just want to wait for the new 17" version to come along. And then will be making my purchase.

I know in the past I have mentioned my dislike but with student discount they are pretty reasonably priced in comparison to similarly spec'd systems and will hold its money better so seems like the better option.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
The cost isn't that bad to be honest in comparison to others.
It's expensive in that it's still 1300quid for the laptop spec I'd want, but, if I wanted a Dell, it wouldn't be cheaper/much cheaper.

The main difference is Apple don't sell a low spec laptop.. everyone else does.. therefore you can find a £400 laptop very easily, but it won't be anywhere near the spec of the Apple.. *That's* what makes them look expensive. If you want a 600quid laptop, great.. but it won't be a new Apple.

I've just done a quick comparison with a like-for-like, as much as possible, for a Dell.
I'm not going into the whole "If I ring Dell I can get it cheaper etc etc" as it'll just confuse this test.. instead, I'll just use both web sites. I'm also basing this on the Latitude.. others need not apply :p
I chose Dell because IMO, they make some of the best laptops, for the best price.. so it seems fair. Also, if I bought a laptop, I'd buy either the Latitude E4300 or the Macbook.. so they seem the logical choice to compare.

Comparison:

Dell is a Latitude E4300 (13"), Macbook is a Macbook 13"
Both CPUs 2.4GHz.
Both have 4GB RAM.
Dell only has 200GB HDD, Macbook has 320GB.
Dell only has Mobile Intel® GS45 Express Chipsets, Macbook obviously has the NVIDIA.
Dell has 3Y NBD Warranty, Macbook has standard 1 year.
Dell has Vista Ultimate, Macbook has OSX (Vista Ultimate as that's the closest to the Macbook really)
Dell is a price from dell.co.uk and Apple is from www.apple.com/uk/thestore. (Prices as of 12:16pm, Sunday 19th October).

The Dell, inclusive of VAT and delivery is: £1365.35
The Macbook, inclusive of VAT and delivery is: £1319.01

Bar the warranty, the Apple is better spec throughout. And I'd argue that the warranty cost of the Dell (they don't let you select anything lower than 3Y NBD on their website) is less expensive than the better stuff in the Apple.. so kinda cancels each other out. I've not even started on the web cam, glass trackpad etc.. soo... that puts the Apple a bit further ahead.

Quite an interesting study for us resident geeks ;)

Don't be ghey.. you know Dell owns !

PS. I'm off to Florida in a week, Can't wait to pick up my new Macbook Pro ;)

PS. I'm off to Florida in a week, Can't wait to pick up my new Macbook Pro ;)

Finally! The lad sees sense!

You will love OSX.. please don't be dirty and put some random Linux distribution on it... OSX > * !#@!

Its also Apples "special" pricing which does us no favours in the UK.

Apple Tv 40GB = £199 or $229

Yeh, thats a fair exchange rate!

Im still waiting for a new Mini..

Im still waiting for a new Mini..

That is the issue.. as sneeks said above, the Macbook White had a $100 price drop... but it's gone up 30quid here, haha.

Citroen DS3 DSport
The Apple TV pricing dropped earlier this year in American but didn't change at all here. Thankfully I bought one from the refurb store and saved £80 :)

We do get ripped off here.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

That is the issue.. as sneeks said above, the Macbook White had a $100 price drop... but it's gone up 30quid here, haha.

And with the exchange rate being 1.93 when I got my dolla's !!!! :approve:

Finally! The lad sees sense!

You will love OSX.. please don't be dirty and put some random Linux distribution on it... OSX > * !#@!

Its a NIX based OS so I will probably feel at home, just as long as there is a Terminal button hidden away somwhere ;)